Wanted Double Rifle

jburkholder1

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a Sabatti, fair, or Pedersoli double rifle in 9.3x74r preferably please let me know what you have thanks call or text [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh, nice caliber, I have a drilling in that caliber and have been wondering what the going prices are for a double. Hope you find a good one.

I would recommend saving your money and buying a better double. I have gone down the "cheap double" rabbit hole and it was a waste of money.

Look for a second hand or antique gun. I just did a search on gunsinternational.com and found plenty of nice guns at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I would recommend saving your money and buying a better double. I have gone down the "cheap double" rabbit hole and it was a waste of money.

Look for a second hand or antique gun. I just did a search on gunsinternational.com and found plenty of nice guns at reasonable prices.
What would be your definition of a ”Better Double” ?

Heym

What would be your definition of a ”Better Double” ?
One made by a respected double rifle maker who has many years of double rifle manufacturing experience under their belt.

I have never heard of Fair, but Sabatti and Pedersoli are not known for good quality double rifles.

One made by a respected double rifle maker who has many years of double rifle manufacturing experience under their belt.

I have never heard of Fair, but Sabatti and Pedersoli are not known for good quality double rifles.

I have to disagree with you on Pedersoli as to their quality. Like anything else it depends on what kind of money one is willing to spend on any firearm.

As for a manufactured out of the box firearm I would equate Pedersoli to Winchester for quality. As for service that's a different can of worms. I own a Pedersoli and had I had the funds in hand about 10 years ago at a "local" gun show, I would currently own 2 more. But like every other firearm manufacturer their prices have exceeded my budget when choosing between a next safari or trying to self justify getting a new "toy" to feed; with 5 project firearms waiting to be completed.

@Ridge Runner I wasn't saying Pedersoli was a bad company, they just aren't known for quality double barrel rifles.

Have a look at the Blaser BB 97.

As you can see I need to lower the front sight a couple of millimeters. And the scope probably needs to drop a click or two.

image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_6778.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ridge Runner I wasn't saying Pedersoli was a bad company, they just aren't known for quality double barrel rifles.

When I bought my Pedersoli, I considered them, stereotyped them, as cheap knock offs. And made what we thought was a fair trade for both of us.

Two months later my Pedersoli tripled in value. During those same 2 months I passed on 2 double rifles 1 BP and 1 cartridge. Both of those rifles have nearly quadrupled in price.

For Pedersoli the quality in craftsmanship/manufacturing is there. My problem with Pedersoli is communication and service. Okay, so it's been a couple of decades since they've entered the US market since I purchased my firearm. It's quite possible that Pedersoli's customer service has improved...or not. Abbreviated long story short, I ended up contacted an acquainted gunsmith to make me a replacement spring. I did the final finishing fit of the spring. Several thousand shots and many years later. That same spring broke last year. I contacted the same acquainted gunsmith to make me another spring, blah, blah, blah, he did the finish fit for me, because I no longer had the proper tools/ tooling to do it.

I can say my firearm withstood a 30% and 15% over max loads respectively, and the regulation of the barrels still held 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards.

When I bought my Pedersoli, I considered them, stereotyped them, as cheap knock offs. And made what we thought was a fair trade for both of us.

Two months later my Pedersoli tripled in value. During those same 2 months I passed on 2 double rifles 1 BP and 1 cartridge. Both of those rifles have nearly quadrupled in price.

For Pedersoli the quality in craftsmanship/manufacturing is there. My problem with Pedersoli is communication and service. Okay, so it's been a couple of decades since they've entered the US market since I purchased my firearm. It's quite possible that Pedersoli's customer service has improved...or not. Abbreviated long story short, I ended up contacted an acquainted gunsmith to make me a replacement spring. I did the final finishing fit of the spring. Several thousand shots and many years later. That same spring broke last year. I contacted the same acquainted gunsmith to make me another spring, blah, blah, blah, he did the finish fit for me, because I no longer had the proper tools/ tooling to do it.

I can say my firearm withstood a 30% and 15% over max loads respectively, and the regulation of the barrels still held 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards.
What caliber double do you have?

Take a look at the Merkel as well.
Solid guns for fair prices.

Chapuis and Merkle are better than what you are looking at. Kreigoff would be higher. Heym would be the best in that price range. So in terms of costs. Lowest Merkle next above Chapuis then higher Kreigoff then higher Heym. Higher than these you are now getting into some real money. I have owned them all so this is not opinion but experience. I have owned a SABATTI. nothing wrong as long as it was not one of the cabella dremil damaged ones…I would just save more and get one of the before mentioned better doubles

The three that you mentioned are good, functioning double rifles. While they are not collectables, they function just as well as the higher end doubles. It becomes a manner of taste, budget and how hard they will be treated. I would not take a very nice, high end double on a rough trip.

I'm also in the market for a double (first timer). Does it make sense to buy a "cheap" double (e.g., Sabatti) for actual safari use and sink more funds into a higher end (Kreigoff, Heym) as an "investment" that sits mostly unused? Or are Keigoff and Heym (and any others in this price tier) not really high end enough to be considered an investment?

Unless you are on the top end Rigby and Westley Richards all those I named are not investment guns just good quality working safari guns

If I were taking a rifle that would be bounced around in a Land Cruiser and posssibly be used to push brush out of the way or taken to Alaska where it would get a few nicks and scars, I would get a used (but not abused) Kreighoff or Heym in 375 H&H. It will have a few scars and some bluing loss and a few more won't hurt.

What caliber double do you have?
A 10 bore, .79 caliber, BP
IMG_20191119_093654.jpg

Exit hole at ~25 yards
The slip on pad is for an added 3/4" LOP.
I made a very bad error in judgement. Not understanding Europeans mark their firearms on the underside of the barrel. I didn't understand the 109 number stamp. I do now; Won't do it again. It stands for max grain charge. I loaded both barrels using dram equivalent 5 1/2 dram to grains: 5.5 x 27.5= 137.5 grains and reduced the load to 135 grain volume weight. Shooting a ~535 grain ball.
Super Deluxe only manufactured 1980 to 1983. Listed as hand engraved German silver sidelocks. Engraved trigger gaurd and band around each barrel at the breech plugs.

Currently considering getting the Kodiak in 45-70 for a fun gun to pair with my 45-70 lever action for black bear and elk hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boziebean

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg