Vortex Razor Scopes

swashington

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hey all, planning my first trip for myself and fiance and of course, new rifles are on the list of must haves. I have always been a big fan of Vortex as my old Vortex 1x6 was a great optic for hunting Blacktail deer and Elk in the thick forests of Western Washington. Never had to stretch a shot out past 150yds. I am looking at the new Razors and they get great reviews. Plus, being a veteran I can get them at really low prices.

Anyone have any reasons why one of these scopes would be not sufficient for our safari.

Expect a lot of opinions and I know everyone wants a Leupold, Swaro, Nightforce but I just can't justify a $3000 scope.

As always looking to learn from the experience that you guys have.

Thanks in advance.

I do not own a Vortex optic. But, I was also around when they first hit the market. I'll simply leave it that if I can afford a Vortex, then I can afford a good quality level Leupold.

Also a veteran and have used my discount to buy a handful of scopes from vortex, it’s what I used in South Africa on my hunt, good scope for the money with the discount

Also a veteran and have used my discount to buy a handful of scopes from vortex, it’s what I used in South Africa on my hunt, good scope for the money with the discount
DId you go directly through Vortex for the discount. I go through GovX and the discount is 40% off. They also have Steiner at 30% off but I have always likes the Vortex for their customer service and warranty.

I do not own a Vortex optic. But, I was also around when they first hit the market. I'll simply leave it that if I can afford a Vortex, then I can afford a good quality level Leupold.
I have no issues with the Leupold, I own a few older ones and they served me well; however, I can get much better prices on the Vortex. Question is: is the lower price good enough for the choice? I just don't know. I have never had any scope fail on me and I did some pretty rugged hunting in my younger days.

DId you go directly through Vortex for the discount. I go through GovX and the discount is 40% off. They also have Steiner at 30% off but I have always likes the Vortex for their customer service and warranty.
Expert voice I think is who I went through scope was at my house under a week later

Being a veteran, use the Leupold VIP program and get a discount on a, IMO better scope.
Thanks, I did register for it but cannot find out how to order or what the discount is. Just sends me to the "buy Locally" button which should take away discount that is offered. Any advice?

Had that problem once. Email them, very helpful. You should have recieved conformation also that you were approved.

Being a veteran, use the Leupold VIP program and get a discount on a, IMO better scope.

Leupold VIP is worth about a 40% discount off MSRP.. which brings their mid line scopes pretty close to the price point of Vortex entry level scopes (at retail).. and brings their VX5 and VX6 scopes close to the price point of mid/high level Vortex (more scope for similar money)..

I pretty much exclusively buy Leupold these days through the VIP program..

Great info guys, very much appreciated. Truth be told as much as I like Vortex you just cant say anything bad about Leupold. It was the price that was setting me back cause I need three new scopes.

I've had 75% failure on my vortex razor hdlh(old model lht). Currently the lht hasn't failed.
Leupold keeps on ticking.

I prefer the reticle on the razor lht, but until I know it's not failing me? I personally wouldn't chance it. But I seem to be the exception on vortex, 80% failure overall, I've got friends that have had a different experience.

Being a Veteran you need to look at Leupolds VIP Program. You’ll get a better scope for the money even if you’re comparing dollar for dollar. Personally I’d suggest looking at the VX5 or VX6 options. Even the VX3’s and new Mark 4’s are decent options and inline with the pricing you’re seeing from Vortex’s Mil Discount.

I’ve opened several Vortex scopes and binos over the years and all have broken but 1. I’ve had better luck with Bushnell’s and Burris optics than Vortex. You might also look at an NX8, or even Swaro Z3

The two rifles I hunt with the most, the 338 Lapua has a Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 and 7 PRC the new Leupold Mk4 HD 6-24. The Razor HD has performed just fine and glass is very good but for the money the new Mk4 line is awesome. After my upcoming Africa trip I might just sell the Razor for another Mk4 I like the scope that much.

i'm a razor fan but i have a few leupolds too.
I run a razor 1-6 gen2e with the BDC illuminated reticle on an FAL and it's phenomenal at 1x and takes a helluva beating when i put it on the 375h&h. no issues. For non-hunting, it's my absolute favorite even when compared to acogs, elcans, and the like.

That being said... the alumina flip caps on the leupolds are so damn handy for keeping the glass clean it's almost silly. They can be flicked up with a thumb on each hand while putting the rifle to your face. For me, it's a highly weighted feature point in their favor. Even if their glass was inferior (which it's not) that would be a big point of importance in a hunting rifle.
I really hate the bikini caps neoprene, and other aftermarket options. Leupold somehow really is head and shoulders ahead of the rest on this feature.

Also - Leupold has a custom shop that, at least before covid, would allow you to get the scope painted to match a stainless gun or get a different reticle. Vortex won't do anything custom.

I believe NF has a mil/le program too. Would be worth looking into for an IMO better scope than both Leupold and vortex.

Glad you brought up NF.
I've never played with NF but on another forum with "rocks that slide" there's a guy that does reviews who supposedly tests glass professionally.
I.e., drop, throw, heat, cold, and runs them through the ranges of the adjustments with some sort of means to measure their optical ability to track and return to zero.

I don't follow closely but I've seen that NSF is pretty much the best and I believe (going off memory) that very few, even of the leica and swaro types passed the test.

I almost grabbed one recently but the weight as opposed to a vortex i had already turned me away.

Being a Veteran you need to look at Leupolds VIP Program. You’ll get a better scope for the money even if you’re comparing dollar for dollar. Personally I’d suggest looking at the VX5 or VX6 options. Even the VX3’s and new Mark 4’s are decent options and inline with the pricing you’re seeing from Vortex’s Mil Discount.

I’ve opened several Vortex scopes and binos over the years and all have broken but 1. I’ve had better luck with Bushnell’s and Burris optics than Vortex. You might also look at an NX8, or even Swaro Z3
One good point for Vortex is the replacement policy. Unfortunately I have had better luck with Vortex than Leupold.... but the Firedot series is so good.

One good point for Vortex is the replacement policy. Unfortunately I have had better luck with Vortex than Leupold.... but the Firedot series is so good.
All the big optics manufacturers have some sort of lifetime warranty. I’ve had the opposite experience between the 2 brands and of the 15+ Leupolds I currently own including a couple that might be older than I am, a newer VX5 Firedot is the one I had to warranty. I’ve never had to warranty a S&B, Swaro, Khales, or Zeiss though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonitamthanh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.