Tipping Guide

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Nov 30, 2008.

1. badboy124

badboy124 AH Member

Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    Wow just received email from booking agent on recommended tips for a 10 day hunt $350 for PH, $150 for tracker and $500 rand for each camp staff 2 camps. Wow they must want you to keep them poor and not leave. Talk about poverty numbers.
    Rest assured I will tip way better than that for good service.
  2. lawrence_court

lawrence_court AH Member

Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA, NA, USA (Virginia), Scotland, England.
    'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'

When we travel to another country it is not decent to accept their customs?

As the concensus here suggests, a tip between 3% and 10% of the total costs (exc air travel) is part of the Safari culture and something that a PH and staff really value (and in some cases may need).

With all respect, if a hunter is not prepared to accept the cultural norms of another country/industry/culture, he/she should consider another hunt option.

The service I have had on African safaris has always been incredible. PHs and staff give so much of their time, tolerance, effort and kindness. I would feel really bad if I felt I had under-tipped in any way.
    Limcroma Safaris and tarbe like this.
  3. CAustin

CAustin AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Badboy124 it's all relative to the cost of the hunt. If your plains game hunt is say $3500 then your looking at a good tip for the PH at 10% which is high end of the normal scale and if the cost is $7000 then 5% is in the middle of the scale at $350. If you are moving around from camp to camp tipping the staff 500 rand for a couple of days is good. It may not seem like a lot but for them it adds up over time in addition to the salary received. There is a great deal of commentary in this thread to read and digest. At the end of the day if the staff really gets after it and is friendly then a bigger tip is up to you of course.....and the same is true for the PH.