The Greatest Hunter I Ever Knew Has Passed

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
On 4/24/24, the greatest hunter I ever knew passed away. This was not just any hunter, he was truly gifted as an all around outdoorsman. He was my dad.

As I grew up, and grew to know him as the man he was, it was not until later in life that I realized just how special he was.

Sometimes, well, most times, you never really realize what you have until it’s gone. You never really understand that the special moments you share with your friends and family are just what they are. And that’s what we refer to as the good old days. The good old days are just fleeting moments in time that you can never get back. No matter how far you go in life, you always find yourself wanting to return to a time when life was much more simple. A time when things made more sense.

My dad was a hunter’s hunter. He was what most hunters aspire to be. He was dedicated, determined and dependable. The word quit was never in his vocabulary. I just wish I could amount to even half of what he was as a man and a hunter. For both of those things go hand in hand. You can never be great at anything, without first being a great person. And he was both a great man and a great person.

When I was a young boy, he taught me just what it took to be successful in both life and in what you love to do. And we had some great times in the field together. Whether it was hunting whitetail deer in the fall, or turkey during the spring, I always knew I was being taught by the best. I just wish I had retained more than a small fragment of what he showed me along the way.

I won’t go into detail on his vast accomplishments in the things he loved the most, but what I will say is, I will miss him forever and will always wish we had spent more time together. For the time that was lost, was completely my fault, and not his. He would’ve gladly spent way more time with me than we ultimately spent together. But sometimes, well, most times, a young man just doesn’t put the most important things in life at the top of his list. And for that I am truly regretful. I love you pop. And if we ever get the chance to do this life over again, I promise I will spend more time with you. You, at the very least, deserve that.

Well said. I lost my Dad way too young. Was almost 40 years ago. Think of him daily.

I am sorry for your loss hunter habib. May your father rest in peace!

Sorry for your loss, condolences

So sorry Toby.

He still lives with you in your heart and mind and through you to the next generation you help.

Prayers for you and your family.

Sorry for your loss Toby.

May the Lord comfort you.

Sorry for your loss. Every son wants to make their father proud and your story is a good reminder to make time for family.

Condolences Toby.

Sounds like you definitely recognise you are well blessed with a wonderful collection of treasured memories and special times shared.

Toby, I'm immensely sorry for your loss. May God/Allah grant him eternity in Heaven/Jannat Ul Ferdous.

My parents are my best friends. Mom is 91 & dad is 92 and I can't imagine life without them (fortunately both are quite healthy for their age).

Be strong at a time like this. Your father would have wanted that for you.

I am very sorry to hear this, but I am glad that you have so many wonderful memories that you can carry for the rest of your life.

Well respected and well remembered.

On 4/24/24, the greatest hunter I ever knew passed away. This was not just any hunter, he was truly gifted as an all around outdoorsman. He was my dad.

As I grew up, and grew to know him as the man he was, it was not until later in life that I realized just how special he was.

Sometimes, well, most times, you never really realize what you have until it’s gone. You never really understand that the special moments you share with your friends and family are just what they are. And that’s what we refer to as the good old days. The good old days are just fleeting moments in time that you can never get back. No matter how far you go in life, you always find yourself wanting to return to a time when life was much more simple. A time when things made more sense.

My dad was a hunter’s hunter. He was what most hunters aspire to be. He was dedicated, determined and dependable. The word quit was never in his vocabulary. I just wish I could amount to even half of what he was as a man and a hunter. For both of those things go hand in hand. You can never be great at anything, without first being a great person. And he was both a great man and a great person.

When I was a young boy, he taught me just what it took to be successful in both life and in what you love to do. And we had some great times in the field together. Whether it was hunting whitetail deer in the fall, or turkey during the spring, I always knew I was being taught by the best. I just wish I had retained more than a small fragment of what he showed me along the way.

I won’t go into detail on his vast accomplishments in the things he loved the most, but what I will say is, I will miss him forever and will always wish we had spent more time together. For the time that was lost, was completely my fault, and not his. He would’ve gladly spent way more time with me than we ultimately spent together. But sometimes, well, most times, a young man just doesn’t put the most important things in life at the top of his list. And for that I am truly regretful. I love you pop. And if we ever get the chance to do this life over again, I promise I will spend more time with you. You, at the very least, deserve that.
I am sorry for your loss Toby. Your dad likely knew he raised a decent man and took some pride in it. Allow yourself to grieve, then time will bring you peace.

My sincerest condolences for your loss Toby. From your eulogy, I gather that he must have been an amazing person to call "dad". His legacy continues in you.
V.

My condolences. Sounds like his death will be hard on many folks. Wishing you peace.

Sad news. Thinking of your loss Toby. All the best, man.
RIP to your Dad……

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiamahi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.