Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Lots of posts lately about the hassles of getting to Africa via umpteen stopovers, luggage issues, cancelled flights, or just one leg messing it all up. And endless wretched airports. Enough to get you reaching for a Gin and Tonic.
Imagine the age when one booked on a passenger liner, like the Union Castle, packed generously and of course included your on-board fare, especially the hat. At the other end, probably Cape Town, one boarded a train, ensconced in a comfortable carriage ready to head out into the interior. Fine food all the way, evening airs, wonderful! All you needed was time, and the world could wait a little.
That age overlapped well into the transcontinental flight era, you would be surprised - 12th August 1977 the Windsor Castle set out for the last time.
i was equally surprised to learn that many freight carriers also carry passengers today. And all over the world there is a resurgence in luxury train travel, southern Africa included. So here is a possibility for the good Mrs P and I - steamer from Walvis Bay or Durban to Cape Town, Rovos Rail to Pretoria, and then on to Victoria Falls, staying in the magnificent Victoria Falls Hotel. Finally a hunting trip in the Matetsi, in a Land Rover of course!

Ok.
In golden age of safari, you travel by ship, big time, in great style, get welcomed everywhere, in every port, red carpet treatment, and make long 3-9 months safari with full bag.
But, the travel costs were much higher then today, much much higher.
For High class and royalty only.

In modern day, air travel cheap, safari on budget possible... but for me biggest modern turn off is visa requirement for some countries... usually this has to be done few months in advance, and my work schedule is not always predictable, so you get one trip short time visa, work schedule changes, safari cancelled - you cannot travel.
In my opinion, turist visa stamped on arrival to country would be best way for safari countries. It would increase the number of toursit visitors for sure

times changed from then till now.

Cargo ship?
Travelling with cargo ship is very much present and possible. And organised. However, depending of flag, or company, there could be restriction to carry sporting firearms along. But for travel, no problem.

I have some experience with cargo ship travel. If interested drop me pm.

Hi Mark, the passenger liners like the Union Castle line were very much an everyday person thing. Sure they were class structured and you could splash out on first class if you so wished, but second class was the equivalent of economy in the airlines.
Yes please, thank you for the offer, I will PM you as I am serious about this trip.

Lots of posts lately about the hassles of getting to Africa via umpteen stopovers, luggage issues, cancelled flights, or just one leg messing it all up. And endless wretched airports. Enough to get you reaching for a Gin and Tonic.
Imagine the age when one booked on a passenger liner, like the Union Castle, packed generously and of course included your on-board fare, especially the hat. At the other end, probably Cape Town, one boarded a train, ensconced in a comfortable carriage ready to head out into the interior. Fine food all the way, evening airs, wonderful! All you needed was time, and the world could wait a little.
That age overlapped well into the transcontinental flight era, you would be surprised - 12th August 1977 the Windsor Castle set out for the last time.
i was equally surprised to learn that many freight carriers also carry passengers today. And all over the world there is a resurgence in luxury train travel, southern Africa included. So here is a possibility for the good Mrs P and I - steamer from Walvis Bay or Durban to Cape Town, Rovos Rail to Pretoria, and then on to Victoria Falls, staying in the magnificent Victoria Falls Hotel. Finally a hunting trip in the Matetsi, in a Land Rover of course!
Will you be towing the Land Rover Kevin ?

We maybe read different books. Herne’s book White Hunters paints a different picture. The train ride from Mombasa to Nairobi read to be somewhat miserable, stopping at railway houses along the way for meals that all consisted of the same bland things. He didn’t elaborate on the ocean crossing much. I’m not sure a month aboard a steamship would be all sweetness and light.

One thing is for certain though, it was a much more civilized time. I would have tried it if I would have been around then and had the where - with - all. What an adventure!

We maybe read different books. Herne’s book White Hunters paints a different picture. The train ride from Mombasa to Nairobi read to be somewhat miserable, stopping at railway houses along the way for meals that all consisted of the same bland things. He didn’t elaborate on the ocean crossing much. I’m not sure a month aboard a steamship would be all sweetness and light.

One thing is for certain though, it was a much more civilized time. I would have tried it if I would have been around then and had the where - with - all. What an adventure!
Hi GBflyer, quite possibly, Lawrence Green is where I get all my travel stories from. Way back in the mid sixties as a teenager I caught a train all the way from Salisbury as it was then to East London in South Africa. 2nd class, so the carriage was unspectacular. But what I vividly remember was the meals in the dining car, quite special. By the way I also did Mbeya to Dar es Salaam on the Tazara rail in 1989. Old British made 1st class carriage with leather bunks and a metal oscillating fan that still worked. The third chap in the carriage with my colleague an I was a local, and after the meal they served in the carriage he brought down a cardboard box, took out a chicken and it pecked up the rice he had spilled on the floor!

Great thought there Kevin!

Believe me, I've dreamed about that kind of trip for years now- really ever since reading about such trips from the early 1900s and TR's safari. I don't have to take guns so no issue there. Something about taking time with zero airport stress really appeals to me. The travel could be made to be as enjoyable as the safari itself. I'm just about worn out and burned out dealing with long haul flights and air travel! Every time I watch the movie Hidalgo, I think of ocean travel across the big pond to Africa. :) Pure romance!

I swore I'd done my last international air trip a few years ago. It was through Hong Kong enroute to Manila. The chicoms had really started to crack down at that time for whatever reason and there were regular PRC military everywhere in the airport and likely a bunch of plainclothes as well. I could tell they would have loved to off any westerner who crossed them. The locals and other international travelers where fine but those PRC army regulars were more than scary and seemed robotic. I regained my courage after that and have passed through Hong Kong without incident a few times since- avoiding the protest closures of course.

Last edited:
Great thought there Kevin!

Believe me, I've dreamed about that kind of trip for years now- really ever since reading about such trips from the early 1900s and TR's safari. I don't have to take guns so no issue there. Something about taking time with zero airport stress really appeals to me. The travel could be made to be as enjoyable as the safari itself. I'm just about worn out and burned out dealing with long haul flights and air travel! Every time I watch the movie Hidalgo, I think of ocean travel across the big pond to Africa. :) Pure romance!

I swore I'd done my last international air trip a few years ago. It was through Hong Kong enroute to Manila. The chicoms had really started to crack down at that time for whatever reason and there were regular PRC military everywhere in the airport and likely a bunch of plainclothes as well. I could tell they would have loved to off any westerner who crossed them. The locals and other international travelers where fine but those PRC army regulars were more than scary and seemed robotic. I regained my courage after that and have passed through Hong Kong without incident a few times since- avoiding the protest closures of course.
458, I couldn't agree more that the trip is all part of it, I suppose why it is actually good fun to drive the Series 1 for 7 hours down to the Save. Anyway, I have now done some homework with the help of @mark-hunter (thanks Mark), and this method of travel is not only do-able but very reasonable. So, I am going to give it a try just as soon as a covid window opens! I agree, the hell with airports, or the very minimum anyway.

Well Kevin, those would be a bonus!

I have now done some homework with the help of @mark-hunter (thanks Mark), and this method of travel is not only do-able but very reasonable.

I hope we will get some feedback, after you return for the trip. ;)

Kevin,
Let me add some touristic highlights, to give you some ideas:

Of all large known canals, to me, Panama canal with flooded locks technology is more interesting then Suez. In Panama lakes, you can still see from a ship deck, a croc sunshining near the water.
In Suez, less dynamic,a day long passage in convoy, with few relics and monuments from last war, few burned tanks, and a monument (on west side).

Kiel canal, Corinth canal worth seeing, but for small vessels only, out of major shipping routes.

Then, of course there is the Rock (Gibraltar) near where most southern European religious building is built (a mosque), on Europa point.
In Gibraltar the only European species of monkey lives. (Barabry Macaques), but most probably you will not see them from ship.

While Gibraltar in the north of strait remains British, across the straight to the south, Ceuta remains Spanish, a small European enclave on African soil.

Passing Nicobar islands on the way east, it was considered as true gate to far east. And then follows entering main shipping route to far east, Malacca strait, followed by Singapore strait, known as piracy black spot, even today. (turning down south, to Jakarta after S'pore strait I had unsuccessful pirate atatck, years ago. unsuccessful because I was on the watch;) )

Entering the New York Harbor will give you nice view to statue of Liberty.

Visiting Long Beach, California will give you a chance to visit near by museum ships, 10 minutes walking from main port: Hotel/museum Queen Mary, and near by, a Russian sub, decommissioned and bought (I think) from Indian navy, foxtrot class (conventional sub), you can see live and loaded torpedo tubes, peak through periscope, pass the sub bow to stern, etc.. (if you watched "the hunt for red october ", or "K19 the widow maker" - this is a must see)

Getting to Yokohoama, Japan, you wil see a FUji mountain just above, with its known snow cap, from fotocamera adds.

From World wide shipping routes, the one I've never seen is Magellan passage, rarely used, ever since Panama canal is open in 1914, .

So, the toughest part will be to choose, where you want to go.!

I need more of two things. Can you guess what they are?
Of course, essential for small ship travel in the tropics - a pithy and a potty, although some say if you have the one you don't need the other..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraW86

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross