Terms I am tired of hearing

Misspellings make me cringe: Loose instead of lose. Where instead of were. Break instead of brake.

Pumped him full of lead. No, you shot him. I hardly believe anyone can get close enough to apply a pump to an animal.
Scattergun.

It's more of a Gulf War thing now with the long range sniping. Spotters read the wind and range so the shooter can dial it into his scope. He also helps locate targets and calls the shots. Another big thing is he keeps an eye out for tangos shooting back.
2 sets of eyes. .

Guy on another forum constantly and consistently misuses too and to,:confused: and no matter how much I and others poke fun at him, he either cant or wont do it right!o_O Drives me nuckin' futz!:mad::mad:

"it is what it is" It makes me think that the person who's uses this really doesn't give a crap about the outcome of their efforts.

Misspellings make me cringe: Loose instead of lose. Where instead of were. Break instead of brake.

Pumped him full of lead. No, you shot him. I hardly believe anyone can get close enough to apply a pump to an animal.
Scattergun.
Someone used "canon" instead of "cannon" earlier in this thread. That makes me cry in High Gothic.

Also, semi-related question for all: Is it "dugga boy" or is it "dagga boy"? Are they interchangeable? Prevalent spellings in different countries/regions? Or is one just flat-out wrong?

One I would have to politely disagree with is "never wounded an animal" Up until this year I could say that. I have been hunting since the 1960's and every animal I ever shot at I collected. Most all were one shot kills. I have hunted(CA/NV/WY/Texas and Africa), I have been hunting since the 1960's and I am no "super hero". This year I hit an Oryx and felt it was a solid hit. Tracked him for a ways then the blood trail ended. It still grinds at me that I did not recover him. So it had to be a poorer shot that what I thought. It was my 1st one and it bothers me a lot. I do hope it is my last one.

I do not like bullets called pills. I do not like it when so called experienced shooter call a mag a clip. I do not like it when someone calls a cartridge by the caliber it is and not the name of the cartridge. Such as I am wanting info on a 30caliber?? OK is it a 308win/30-06/300Norma mag/30carbine and such.

My 2 cents

Ditto on the "mag" versus "clip." They are NOT interchangable. I always tell my students, the M1 Garand (with the accent placed on the first, not second, syllable) uses a clip to load it's fixed magazine. The M-14 (or M1A Civilian version) has a removable magazine. That thing that comes out of the bottom of the receiver IS NOT a "clip."

Horns when referring to Deer Antlers. People, esp. experience hunters and guides who constantly refer to Antlers as Horns. I cringe every time I hear someone say "Elk Horns" or "Deer Horns"

Deer have Antlers

Any and all euphemisms. I have always enjoyed George Carlin's bits about them. As hunters, if we cannot say what mean, speak about the animals we hunt with respect, and come to terms with the fact that we are killing animals, we have no business in the field.

Scattergun.

be wary of someone who pumps animals.
they might also stork them.
bruce.

Scattergun.
I had a Browning Pump Shotgun in my younger years..

Would like to hear some of the terms you get tired of-overused or maybe incorrectly used or used by the wrong people.
Today the one that has my attention is "I hit him a bit far back." No shit. You hit him smack in the guts, it was a bad shot and the only reason you will find him is because you are on a private farm. Maybe you got lucky and you were in Africa and had world class trackers or well trained and experienced dogs. I hit a duiker a bit far back-no, I gut shot him plain and simple and thanks to Wik and the terriers who found him for me. It was my fault and I gut shot him and I am simply grateful you recovered him for me.
And thats why the guy on tv that was closer to the butt hole than the pump house has made me angry. No new to marginalize the truth or make excuses.
Too far back gets you maybe some lung or probably some liver and hopefully you still find your animal. Guts gets you guts and causes suffering and slow death and most likely a lost animal. It happens, it is our responsibility as hunters to practice until is becomes a very rare occurance.
The same could be said for "its just a bit high_"

Along these same lines, how about the guys on the hunting shows continuing to whisper in conversation after they shot an animal at 300 yards....(in hushed tones) "well, I feel that was a good shot, maybe a bit far back but close enough the pump house with that pill to slow him down..."

S

Also, semi-related question for all: Is it "dugga boy" or is it "dagga boy"? Are they interchangeable? Prevalent spellings in different countries/regions? Or is one just flat-out wrong?

Origins:
ZULU
"udaka" (-daka)
Phonetic Spelling [uːˈdaːɠa]

ENGLISH
Mud

Hope that answers the question.

Origins:
ZULU
"udaka" (-daka)
Phonetic Spelling [uːˈdaːɠa]

ENGLISH
Mud

Hope that answers the question.
So it's supposed to be "dagga boy" and people spelling it with a U are misspelling?

Along these same lines, how about the guys on the hunting shows continuing to whisper in conversation after they shot an animal at 300 yards....(in hushed tones) "well, I feel that was a good shot, maybe a bit far back but close enough the pump house with that pill to slow him down..."
Msmi27
Unfortunately we don't get those shows in OZ. Sounds like we're lucky
Bob

"So while it’s not quite fingernails on the chalkboard, there’s just something about referring to them as Mr Spots that I find somewhat demeaning to such a creature."

Philip Clayton... There's a guy locally where I live who says things like "Mr. Bear" and "Mr. Moose". Believe me sir... I feel your pain.

This thread has been enlightening, with regards to just what is and isn't a dagga boy; I guess I've seen it used so frequently and not in the proper context that my own perception was a bit more broad than is actually true.

Last edited:
“Don’t call me mam” says the female.

As a southern born and raised boy, as long as my 93 year old Mom is alive, and forever there afterI, I will say “yes mam” and “no mam” to the opposite sex whether your 18 or 80. So just live with it sweetie pie, bless your pea pickin’ heart.

As a southern born and raised boy, as long as my 93 year old Mom is alive, and forever there afterI, I will say “yes mam” and “no mam” to the opposite sex whether your 18 or 80. So just live with it sweetie pie, bless your pea pickin’ heart.
Best part about that is when people say it's because "Ma'am is short for Mammy, so it's RACIST!" No, idiots, it's (barely) short for "Madam" and not racist at all.

Spelled "ma'am." LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolkKnives

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.