Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
It is the opinion of the African Lion Working Group (ALWG) that captive-bred lion hunting, which is defined by ALWG as the sport hunting of lions that are captive bred and reared expressly for sport hunting and/ or sport hunting of lions that occur in fenced enclosures and are not self-sustaining does not provide any demonstrated positive benefit to wild lion conservation efforts and therefore cannot be claimed to be conservation.

In addition while more data are still needed, the international lion bone trade that is currently being supplied by the South African captive-bred lion industry may fuel an increased demand for wild lion bones elsewhere. This could negatively impact wild lion populations and hinder conservation efforts. The recent dramatic increase in lion bone trade should be reason for concern.

The estimated 8,000 lions in South Africa currently being maintained and bred on game farms as part of this industry should not be included in any assessments of the current status of wild lions. Captive breeding of lions for sport hunting, hunting of captive-bred lion and the associated cub petting industry are not conservation tools. In our opinion they are businesses and outside the remit of the African Lion Working Group and should be dealt with accordingly.

Author: Sarel van der Merwe, Chairman, African Lion Working Group (Dated 17/02/2016)

But if the RSA lions that are currently supplying the lion bones to meet that demand are no long available if RSA ends captive-bred lion hunting, will that not put even more pressure on the wild lions for their bones? And if that is true, are not the lions in RSA contributing to the conservation of wild lions?

Has the argument not been made to legalize rhino horn trade to defeat the poachers, by enabling more rhinos to be raised on ranches?

I feel like this could be leveraged and say that captive breed lions should not be included in USFW ban since they are a business. But I doubt that is actually going to be the case and instead will be used to further bury the industry.

But if the RSA lions that are currently supplying the lion bones to meet that demand are no long available if RSA ends captive-bred lion hunting, will that not put even more pressure on the wild lions for their bones? And if that is true, are not the lions in RSA contributing to the conservation of wild lions?

Has the argument not been made to legalize rhino horn trade to defeat the poachers, by enabling more rhinos to be raised on ranches?

Phil you have a great point, if captive breed is filling demand then that demand will look for another supply if the captive breed lions go away. This would at least cause a demand for wild lions and I don't want to say poaching but more funds would be necessary to protect lions with anti poaching units.

Who is the ALWG?

Its unfortunate to see all this focus on captive-bred lions. Seems to me that there are lots of places where animals are bred for hunting, released into controlled areas, and then hunted. Texas, NZ, anywhere you can hunt "exotics," etc. come to mind right off the bat. It starts with banning captive bred lions, but where does it stop? Captive bred deer? Captive bred... cows?

I really don't see the issue from a conservation standpoint. It clearly takes the pressure off the wild populations that may not be doing as well.

Also, I'm fairly certain that one of the ways to rehabilitate a species in a region is to introduce those animals into that area. Isn't game farming a way to produce the animals to be reintroduced?

From a practical standpoint, i think viewing animals as a commodity (just like everything else on the planet) is the best way to promote conservation. Once something has value, it becomes worth saving. Otherwise, its just a nuisance that will eventually be eliminated.

We need to choose our battles and personally, defending captive bred lion hunting is hard. I would rather cash in that chip to be an ethical, conservation minded, community improvement hunter who is interested in the sustainable preservation of wildlife.

I know you can argue that if we give them this, where do they stop, but hunting captive lions is really cheating anyway. No matter what others think, you know yourself it's a captive lion in your trophy room. There are so many other great trophies out there.

We need to choose our battles and personally, defending captive bred lion hunting is hard. I would rather cash in that chip to be an ethical, conservation minded, community improvement hunter who is interested in the sustainable preservation of wildlife.

I know you can argue that if we give them this, where do they stop, but hunting captive lions is really cheating anyway. No matter what others think, you know yourself it's a captive lion in your trophy room. There are so many other great trophies out there.

I do not look at my sons lioness and think we cheated on anything. I know is was raised and hunted by my son. I know it charged him after the first shot and was not coming to say hi.
Raised lions are not a HUNT for everyone but sure do not need anyone telling me I should not hunt one if I like.

You fill a need of a market this being lion bones it helps stop poaching of wild lions. It fills the need for people who want to hunt a lion. Still brings money with tags and fees which fund game departments which helps all animals.

@billc I concur.

The argument of knowing it was captive bred and that somehow diminishing the quality of the trophy doesn't really resonate with me. I guess the deer I hunt on my buddy's ranch are lesser prey too, since there's a fence around the property. Being judged on how I hunt by an
ethical, conservation minded, community improvement hunter
impresses me just as much as an anti judging me on hunting in general.

I'm an advocate for each person to live their life as they see fit, and that extends to hunting as they see fit.

The lion debate.......one of the quickest ways to get hunters hot under the collar with each other. As far as I am concerned leave it to each personal opinion. Do I think captive bred lions help the wild lion....yes!!

Who is the ALWG?

My thought exactly as I was reading the article! Who are they? Who sanctioned them? Where do they get their opinions????? Out of thin air?

The lion debate.......one of the quickest ways to get hunters hot under the collar with each other. As far as I am concerned leave it to each personal opinion. Do I think captive bred lions help the wild lion....yes!!

Simon, I fully agree with you.

My thought exactly as I was reading the article! Who are they? Who sanctioned them? Where do they get their opinions????? Out of thin air?

Opinions are one thing, illogical arguments are yet another.

The statement was written by an idiot who does not understand the very basic concept of supply and demand. Supply down equals demand up. It's very simple. Regardless of your stance, anyone with an IQ over 31 should be able to grasp that.

With the import ban, there is money to be made in Texas if they can find a way to do it. Once the nonsense wipes out lions in Africa and the world collectively comes to its senses, those lions could be used to re-stock Africa.

The scimitar oryx on my wall shows me that Texas is the last hope for some species.

Texas might represent one of the last few places with common sense wildlife management.

So here's a thought. In the American pro-gun movement there are some who saw we should 'give in' on some issues like universal background checks or a ban on so-called assault weapons. Some argue that if we meet the antis in the middle we'll all come away happy and satisfied.

The converse argument is that he antis have zero interest in compromise and will just press harder and harder until they reach their ultimate goal of a total ban. This is the view of groups like the NRA who will not entertain any further gun regulations no matter how 'common sense' it might be.

The antis seek to start with the 'extreme' or most objectionable practice as their target. We might think giving it on this will satisfy them but that is completely wrong. They will keep pushing and pushing until all hunting in Africa is banned, not just the Big 5 but plains game as well.

The pro-hunting movement needs to stand united and not give an inch.

So here's a thought. In the American pro-gun movement there are some who saw we should 'give in' on some issues like universal background checks or a ban on so-called assault weapons. Some argue that if we meet the antis in the middle we'll all come away happy and satisfied.

The converse argument is that he antis have zero interest in compromise and will just press harder and harder until they reach their ultimate goal of a total ban. This is the view of groups like the NRA who will not entertain any further gun regulations no matter how 'common sense' it might be.

The antis seek to start with the 'extreme' or most objectionable practice as their target. We might think giving it on this will satisfy them but that is completely wrong. They will keep pushing and pushing until all hunting in Africa is banned, not just the Big 5 but plains game as well.

The pro-hunting movement needs to stand united and not give an inch.

Amen!!!

@NickyMaz totally agree. You make a great point- because as much as I think there is a reasonable middle ground out there and am actually open to compromise, I also understand that the antis will never stop no matter how much you give. They're extremists and they're true believers. You can never negotiate with that type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg