Statement on Captive-Bred Lion Hunting and Associated Activities

This is my strong belief of these people's opinion.
image.jpeg

The pro-hunting movement needs to stand united and not give an inch.

I don't agree. At least not in the extreme or objectionable sense. Let me give an example.

A couple of weeks ago a video was put up here some a Moose "hunt." The "hunt" resulted in an over 1200 yard shot that wounded the animal (shocker!). Of course the wounding shot was after a complete miss for what ever reason.

Was the "hunt" legal? Yes. Will I support it because I'm afraid that if I don't that someone is going to take away my whitetail hunting? Not on your life.

I won't blindly support support something I don't agree with on a moral or ethical basis just because it might end up impacting something that I do agree with. There are always shades of gray and it is up for each of us to decide what we personally think is gray.

I don't agree. At least not in the extreme or objectionable sense. Let me give an example.

A couple of weeks ago a video was put up here some a Moose "hunt." The "hunt" resulted in an over 1200 yard shot that wounded the animal (shocker!). Of course the wounding shot was after a complete miss for what ever reason.

Was the "hunt" legal? Yes. Will I support it because I'm afraid that if I don't that someone is going to take away my whitetail hunting? Not on your life.

I won't blindly support support something I don't agree with on a moral or ethical basis just because it might end up impacting something that I do agree with. There are always shades of gray and it is up for each of us to decide what we personally think is gray.

There is a distinction between encouraging safe and ethical practices and the power of government enforcing something. Do you want the government telling you how far is too shoot at an animal? I do not want a government official who has probably never hunted in his/her life telling us how far is too far to shoot an animal any more than I want them telling me how many rounds I can have in the magazine of my handgun.

You do make a good point though about policing our own and encouraging safe and ethical practices. I think the hunting community actually does a pretty good job of this already and it's important we continue this. I am still be pro-gun when I tell some yah-hoo at the range to knock it off when I see unsafe behavior.

What frustrates me is when I see hunters rip down other hunters over stupid crap like meat hunting vs trophy, bow vs gun, style points etc. There are such powerful forces that would love to outlaw all this and divisions only make it easier.

Do you want the government telling you how far is too shoot at an animal?

Absolutely not, especially as that range is a judgment call based on conditions and ability. My point is the basically the opposite of your question. I don't want "the masses" telling me I must support something anymore than I want the government telling me I can't do something. Both IMO are slippery slopes...

I think the hunting community actually does a pretty good job of this already and it's important we continue this. I am still be pro-gun when I tell some yah-hoo at the range to knock it off when I see unsafe behavior.

Totally agree and this is the right thing to do. And I don't think you telling an idiot not to point a gun at someone will lead to the loss of our gun rights, nor do I think you do. Point again is that when statements of "we must" are made I find that actually to be more divisive.

What frustrates me is when I see hunters rip down other hunters over stupid crap like meat hunting vs trophy, bow vs gun, style points etc. There are such powerful forces that would love to outlaw all this and divisions only make it easier.

Agree with the frustration and really think we're on the same page here. I do also think though that this is human nature and that the antis are as divided as we are, or close. It doesn't seem that way sometimes, especially when they have a major short term rallying point, but they are. Now please don't anyone take that to take mean I am discounting them or that they are not a powerful force. They are. United though, they are not.

There is a big difference supporting someone taking a 1200 yd shot on a moose. That is just a person being stupid I think. Not supporting something like raised lions or fenced hunting because you dont like it is a totally different thing.

No one has to support stuff they dont like about hunting but putting it down because you do not want to do it does not help hunting long term at all.

It comes down to us hunters picking sides when we really do not need to. Guys had big problems when the ele banned happened. A bunch were guys who have problems with raised lions. If I looked at it as many of then do I should not care about the ele hunt because I do not wanted to hunt one. But I support their right to do that as a fellow hunter. Must of the same guys will not support my right to hunt a raised lion because they do not want to. So who is supporting hunters right more?

Some times being silent instead of having to have your say because you can is the right think to do. Raised lions is one of those subject were if you dont like it saying nothing is best. Have your say by not hunting one. We lose this battle there will be more stuff they come after for sure. We can clearly see raised or wild is the same to the anti - hunters be it a wild ele or a raised lion they want hunting stopped period.

My concern is with government regulation. Regulation leads to more regulation. I'm all for self policing within the community of interest (ref safety issues). In truth,I actually think gun registration, mandatory safety training, etc are good ideas. The problem is that when laws get created that mandate such things, they are then open to the interpretation of lawyers and courts. Too many times have the words of a well-meaning law or regulation been twisted by a lawyer to achieve their end, often completely corrupting the original good intent of that law. Hence my resistance to regulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg