SOUTH AFRICA: A Dream Hunt With Limpopo Big Game Safaris

Osama Mahdi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
There's so much to express about this adventure, yet sometimes words fall short in capturing the essence of the mountain breeze, the exhilaration of encountering Africa's dangerous game, the gratification after a successful hunt. I'll attempt to convey this not with an abundance of words but through pictures, as they say, 'a picture is worth a thousand words.' So, please indulge me.

If you perceive the following as a report, it deviates from a chronological diary; instead, it highlights some of the most memorable moments from an exceptional experience. But let's start at the beginning.
This remarkable hunting journey began when I won a generously offered hunt giveaway by Bossie Mostert, a professional hunter, and the owner of Limpopo Big Game Safaris. The announcement was made on another platform in Limpopo, South Africa (apologies to Eastern Cape and Namibia; your turn will come, but not just yet).

The prize included a 5-day hunt for both a hunter and an observer, with the main targets being a Kudu and a Buffalo cow. Having read only positive feedback about Bossie and his operations on this fantastic site, my expectations for the hunt were sky-high. The anticipation for winter to wane and summer to usher in the joy of hunting Africa became a challenging wait.

I invited one of my friends to join me as an observer; she was an avid huntress who hadn't yet experienced hunting in Africa. However, I soon realized it might not be the best idea when my wife exclaimed, “You're not taking that blonde with you to a different continent!”
I left home on Saturday morning, and after the first flight landed in Chicago, we headed to New York. However, just before takeoff, United canceled the flight due to weather conditions. This unexpected turn led to a night in Chicago and another one in New York. Finally, I arrived at the camp around 1:00 am on Wednesday. It took me 5 fucken days. Fortunately, I had wisely added a few extra days to my trip.
View attachment 573714View attachment 573715View attachment 573716
20230715_103118.jpg
20230714_200643.jpg
385529704_264492139615484_3427585556385117538_n.jpg

Last edited:
When an extraordinary opportunity presents itself, seizing it becomes not just a choice but a thrilling imperative. That's precisely what I did when Bossie extended an offer that seemed to transcend the bounds of reality, allowing me to elevate the buffalo cow to a magnificent bull. The realization that I was on the brink of living out the dream of hunting such a majestic creature left me in awe—I could hardly believe how close I was to turning this exceptional opportunity into a thrilling reality.

We followed the tracks of the herd. The suspense heightened until, out of the dense African bush, DJ, Bossie's son, directed our attention. Although initially challenging to see, the confirmation from my fellow companions revealed that the herd was quietly resting just 30 yards ahead.

393201048_1078427326622233_2635408068898402185_n.jpg
393192259_1049409613022229_2313500307769137306_n.jpg
We deployed a drone on a reconnaissance mission, eagerly anticipating the revelation it would bring. As we huddled around the spying screen, Bossie's voice filled with excitement as he affirmed, "There is a big bull."

The Ambush

Bossie made a plan, we would set an ambush, in the dry bed of a small river, rifles at the ready. Meanwhile, our skilled tracker, Michael, stealthily approached from the opposite side, and make some noise in a hope to push the herd towards us. Hiding in a dry small river, rifle ready while our tracker Michael will sneak from the other side and make some noise in a hope to push the herd towards us. As Michael executed his part of the plan, time seemed to stretch, each moment laden with anticipation. The radio crackled to life, Michael's voice signaling a development. The herd stood up and moved toward the source of the noise. Most of the herd were cows with their calves. I learned later that cows with calves are more dangerous than bulls. The ambush failed.

393086919_1722556454891344_8818275677295315413_n.jpg

The Thrill:

In the heart of the pursuit, we tactically circled the herd, each member holding its ground or disappearing into the denseness of the African vegetation. The air was charged with palpable tension as we found ourselves in close proximity to the protective cows, their powerful presence both awe-inspiring and unnerving.
In a fleeting moment, a question echoed in my mind why I was doing this? The thrill of this chase pushed the adrenaline-fueled uncertainty to a high level. The herd continued its elusive and dangerous movement, weaving through thickets, with the big bull at its core. Time seemed to stretch, and the intensity of the pursuit deepened over the course of 4-5 hours. The encounter with these dangerous Cape buffalo stirred a concoction of emotions—awe at their majestic presence, and a palpable awareness of the inherent risk. It came to my mind what Alexander von Humboldt said: “The most dangerous worldview is the view of those who have never looked at the world”.
Finally, the pivotal arrived. The bull presented himself, stood, raised his head with a defiant gaze, a mere 30-40 yards away. In that heartbeat, the world narrowed, and the crosshair of the scop found its place, nestled between the neck and the chest.
The 375 h and h hits hard. Post-impact, the bull lowered his head, and the earth quivered as the weight of the herd`s hooves struck the ground—a sound no man nor lion would wish to hear approaching.

The herd was facing us but fortunately they turned 180 degrees and ran thundering away from the scene. Smiles exchanged, relief, and satisfaction painted across every face—it was a well-placed shot, a moment of triumph in the heart of the Soutpansberg mountains.
“Let us give him some time,” Bossie said but I was so excited and barely controlled myself.
“I didn't see such a profound blood trail before” said Bossie after we started following the herd.

Few minutes later we heard the death bellow.

403402058_6647640468666607_5953957341274014420_n.jpg
405429828_1030785411519200_2264955307936322324_n.jpg

The Blackthorn

There's a unique thing in the firsts— the initial encounter with something you've been dreaming about for as long as memory serves.
Our life is filled with the firsts. The first sight, the first concert, the first trip, the first car accident, and the first buffalo. I watched many videos about buffalo hunting, and I told to myself if I ever get the chance, I will ask my PH to be the first one who touch his bosses. When it finally happened, I forgot to ask my PH that favor in the middle of the excitement. Thankfully however, my PH did not ruin that moment. I saw the big bull laying down in the bushes, I asked my PH if I could tough his bosses first. And I did it. I named him the Blackthorn. Blackthorn is one of the main protagonists and a warlord in the fictional series the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.
386885058_1070621404272813_4519804897979096953_n.jpg

Before my trip, while getting a haircut my barber asked about my plans. “Going to Africa” I said, “ OMG, that's awesome, do me a favor and take a picture of a Giraffe, I love Giraffes,” she said. Well, I suppose I should not show her this one.

20230713_171049.jpg

In the realm of hunting, Bossie stands as a true professional—legitimate, genuine, and dedicated to preserving the spirit of ethical hunting while providing an unforgettable adventure for all who embark on the journey with him.

More to come…

20230715_174235.jpg
398363956_366340139245077_8376246548667501904_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double