So I walked into Cabelas...

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Saw this Browning made, model 71 .348 Win at an ok price. It didn't leave my hand while I researched and made a phone call. Then I saw this Ruger 375 Hawkeye with a VX 3 1.75 - 6 scope. The .348 looks like a safe queen and I prefer receiver sights. The Ruger has been hunted with but for the price of the rifle and scope I picked up the rifle for about $250 if you value the scope about $400 which is what they were selling them for. No ammo for either on the shelf but I'm happy. I been thinking about sending my CZ to AHR but been thinking about not spending money. There goes that idea, spending money was pretty easy. Maybe I should just send it.
20180421_190607.jpg

Congratulations! When I bought my 375 Ruger, during one of the Obama ammo shortages, I bought about 200 rounds of Hornady ammo from various sources on GB. I wanted to make sure I had a fair amount of brass in case the 375 Ruger didn't catch on. I would say it's here to stay and continues to grow in popularity. If you don't reload, both Swift and Hendershots are good sources for premium hunting ammo.

Model 71's are special - even the modern ones. Particularly so with that peep. Well done.

I still want to get a 71...probably a recent production just due to the value (to me, as a shooter vs collector).

Nice scores!

Saw this Browning made, model 71 .348 Win at an ok price. It didn't leave my hand while I researched and made a phone call. Then I saw this Ruger 375 Hawkeye with a VX 3 1.75 - 6 scope. The .348 looks like a safe queen and I prefer receiver sights. The Ruger has been hunted with but for the price of the rifle and scope I picked up the rifle for about $250 if you value the scope about $400 which is what they were selling them for. No ammo for either on the shelf but I'm happy. I been thinking about sending my CZ to AHR but been thinking about not spending money. There goes that idea, spending money was pretty easy. Maybe I should just send it.View attachment 225798

John J,

Likely you will never regret bagging the M-71 .348 with receiver sight.
They are fairly common here in Alaska and no doubt all species of game here, from blacktailed deer upwards has been taken with same.
Likewise, I agree with Red Leg that, both the original Winchester-made ones and the later, Browning-made ones are very good rifles.

About 30 years ago, it was my favorite hunting rifle for awhile back then.
Today, I am still tempted by them sometimes.
The one I had was amazingly accurate and of course being ballistically similar to the .358 Winchester, it is adequate for up to and including large northern moose.
If I was still hunting larger than grouse and hare around here, it's likely I'd have another one.
(For that same "if", I wouldn't turn my nose up at a M-95 in .405 either lol).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Nothing like buying some new-to-you rifles!! Congrats

OH yes! The Win 71 was probably the best lever gun ever designed by Browning (simply a refined Win model 1886). Have owned and shot five different originals. Sold the last one about a year ago. Thoroughly enjoyed shooting them. The only downside was lack of premium bullet options. Peep sights work well on those. I liked the bolt peep- small, simple, effective.

Last edited:
OH yes! The Win 71 was probably the best lever gun ever designed by Browning (simply a refined Win model 1886). Have owned and shot five different originals. Sold the last one about a year ago. Thoroughly enjoyed shooting them. The only downside was lack of premium bullet options. Peep sights work well on those. I liked the bolt peep- small, simple, effective.
The first time I saw a peep sight I liked it, and added one to my sole lever gun at the time asap after a hunt. Bullet selection was in the back of my mind as far as premium offerings. Looks like Swift A frame, Barnes original, Hawk and Woodleigh. 200- 270 gr, I'm good with them at 348 velocity. There is always casting and alloy experimentation.

The first time I saw a peep sight I liked it, and added one to my sole lever gun at the time asap after a hunt. Bullet selection was in the back of my mind as far as premium offerings. Looks like Swift A frame, Barnes original, Hawk and Woodleigh. 200- 270 gr, I'm good with them at 348 velocity. There is always casting and alloy experimentation.

Yes, when Swift added the lever action line with the 348 that was a game changer for the cartridge. Excellent bullet for the M71! The only half way decent, tougher bullet available when I was doing my shooting was the thick jacketed Hawk.

My Win. model 71 was built in 1936, she bares ser. no. 14XXX. Whenever I go out on one of my nostalgic hunts i.e. irons only, this is the rifle that comes with me.

It’s always a good idea to stroll through the gun area at Cabelas

Great buys! That 71 is beautiful! The only thing I wish winchester had done is checker them. The Ruger is a working man's rifle and I hope you put it through its paces. Both of those cartridges are wonderful game getters!

It’s always a good idea to stroll through the gun area at Cabelas

Strolling through the gun area at Cabelas is almost always a BAD idea for me..

Every time I do it, something follows me home..

If its not another rifle or pistol.. its more powder, more primers, more projectiles, another cleaning kit, a new sling, etc..etc..

I almost never escape unscathed..

The Bargain Cave and Gun Vault are particularly harmful to my wallet..

Saw this Browning made, model 71 .348 Win at an ok price. It didn't leave my hand while I researched and made a phone call. Then I saw this Ruger 375 Hawkeye with a VX 3 1.75 - 6 scope. The .348 looks like a safe queen and I prefer receiver sights. The Ruger has been hunted with but for the price of the rifle and scope I picked up the rifle for about $250 if you value the scope about $400 which is what they were selling them for. No ammo for either on the shelf but I'm happy. I been thinking about sending my CZ to AHR but been thinking about not spending money. There goes that idea, spending money was pretty easy. Maybe I should just send it.View attachment 225798
I'm jealous about that M71. Congratulations!

Thanks gentleman. Took a few shots with the Ruger today. I like it so far, wasn't shooting for accuracy. Carries nice and recoil is negligible. Just need to order some 348 ammo if I can find it or get loading for it asap. Since joining AH this will be my 5th rifle purchase...thanks really. I still have dies that haven't been taken out of the original package and another rifle shows up that I need to reload for. I was set on my 45 70 properly loaded for Aussie buff. Well here come AH over and over again in my research. Then comes a 9.3×62, yea coincidental timing. Then 375 H&H and a 416 three weeks later. Now a good price on a 375 Ruger and a 348 win happens to be near. My next question is, as in another thread what's next? I drooled over a 505 Gibbs and was heart broken when it sold. Figured it was to much I should work my way up. Don't know if I should keep my eye out for a 45 cal or if I come across a 50? Members seem to like the 500 Jeff.

Buffalo Bore has some 348 Winchester ammo for sale. not cheap $90.00 a box of 20. Winchester made a run of ammo a couple of years ago but it may be all sold out by now. You can buy Dies, Brass and Bullets that is what I had to do.

Cabelas is the reason I will never get to retire.... I am 4 miles from home to my office.... Cabelas is the exact halfway point...
At 2 miles.

Cabelas is the reason I will never get to retire.... I am 4 miles from home to my office.... Cabelas is the exact halfway point...
At 2 miles.
Brad that's just called good planning

Hell.... I guess. Thx for the words of support. I guess the impulse buys are a trade of in gas or shipping I would other wise pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DickOxenha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….