Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
If this topic is on here and I missed it, my apologies.

Thoughts on Sierra Game Changer 165 grain .308 bullet performance? I'd love to hear from folks who have used them on game - species, distance, performance.

I picked up some for a very inexpensive price. I'm thinking about taking my Savage 99/.308 to RSA next year and if the SGCs group well I thought I might give them a whirl for PG. Largest would likely be kudu/waterbuck, or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance.

I had some very unusual things happen with them in my .308. Extreme pressure signs with starting loads. Still trying to sort it out. Wondering if the ogive was such that I was in the rifling. Didn’t black the bullets to check first which was a mistake. Sending the rifle off to Gary Junk in Fairbanks to check the chambering. Curious if it has a short lead.

I handload them in a Remington 700 308. Was easy to get a accurate load. Not pushing them hot either. Shot a decent black bear this spring quartering to me at about 50 yards, did not exit, but had good penetration, and no break up. Bullet looked like a magazine ad. Surprised me really. I think a 308 and those type velocities it is a good bullet. Wouldn't shoot them out of a 300 WM unless it was for pronghorn.

I love them. Target accuracy and great performance on game. It’s a tougher bullet than the Gameking. Where Gameking would fall apart after penetrating a boar shoulder (still killing it quickly though) the TGK will most likely exit. So far I’ve used it in 308 Win, will follow in my newly acquired 30R Blaser.

It is a long projectile for the weight, something to consider in load development.

Below is a thread I started on them 3 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.