shooting sticks?

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Biggdawg, Jan 3, 2014.

1. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I have used the tripods in the mountains it takes a little more time to spread the legs out but it still works.

I find kneeling behind adjustable stick to be the most comfortable position for me but obvious terain features prevent it from being used sometimes.

I actually got use to shooting standing straight up.

2. Wheels

Wheels GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania
    As a kid no one I knew of used sticks. If there wasn't a steady rest dad always had us shoot off his shoulder.......wonder why he was deaf when he was my age.

An occasional shot like this might be okay, but for a PH to do this regularly, hearing protection would be highly recommended. Old age isn't as fun if you can't join in the conversations because you can't hear.

3. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
    For my son's first pronghorn, I gave him a benchrest by getting down on knees and elbows - fingers in my ears were my only hearing protection. Huh? What'd ya say?

4. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Necessity is the mother of invention. I have used some really unconventional rests, mostly before I bought a bipod but the occasion still pops up where the bipod is useless and a quick plan b is needed.

5. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    What part of 'Customer' don't those PH's understand I wonder?

6. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    right way up.jpg
    Try making a set of these! I made them and used them for the last 8 years of my PH career...they work!

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Definitely some ingenuity there. How quick do they set and how easy is it to adjust side to side?

8. Wheels

Wheels GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania
    Agree with Diamondhitch, nice engineering job. They look great for fairly flat land. How do they work in hills/mountains?

9. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    They are carried and very quickly set up like a conventional bipod type shooting sticks. Thus the side to side movement is available.
    They can also be partially opened up to support the forestock in 2 places ...like 10 inches apart...this'll still give you heaps more support than simple bipods!
    They really come into their own opened up fully like in the pic for long range shooting or where you have the drop on the animal and have say 10 seconds to open them up! At long range you don't need much lateral movement but there is a little!
    Because of the design, they can be used anywhere a bipood type is used as only 2 points touch the ground!

10. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Cool. I will have to build a test set for myself.

11. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    The physical sticks themselves need to be about 6" longer than you are tall ! For 'standing position' shooting off sticks it is important that you are standing as upright as possible so that you don't end up with 'scope eye'! If you are hunched over the rifle, you are affecting your eye relief which causes the problem!
    If you hunt places like mountains or Tundra, make a small set about 3 1/2 ft long....these will allow you to shoot from either sitting or kneeling positions!
    Your shooting accuracy will never be the same again! Trust me!:huntingrifle:

12. Biggdawg

Biggdawg BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    Izaak walton league of america
    Those do look sweet, i may try my hand at making a set. what did you use for the wood? a close up of how they are joined would be awesome. thanks

13. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    I had big plans of producing them commercially! Just needed a US partner who had some entrepreneurship and some money!
    Send me an email on zimph414@gmail.com and I'll send you a decent sized pic!

14. Biggdawg

Biggdawg BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    Izaak walton league of america
    Thank you sir. email sent.