Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello again dear hunters,

Yet another question that I need help with. Have seen a Sako Finnbear but I unsure if they are a push feed on controlled feed? What I seem to come across on the net is mixed information and we all know what that leads to!!!

Any help to ascertain the truth would be very helpful helpful indeed.

In the mean time this the rifle spotted http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0018/lot-8ae31092-3d30-4800-aba2-a49501172b54

Thanks chaps

Finnbear is the original push-feed-action in .30-06 length. The .308 length is the Forester and the little one is the Vixen.

Dame you push feed!!!!! If it was'nt I say I would have gone for that

I have one in .338WM, since 1987, nothing wrong with it,

I dont doubt that its just I intend it to be a rifle for DG and PG. I have been told by many old timers that a controlled feed is the way to go

Norfolk I don't think it matters push vs control. That's a good rifle in a very good caliber.

Norfolk I don't think it matters push vs control. That's a good rifle in a very good caliber.

Why is there so much emphasis placed on control feed in that case?

Because some love the positive feel of know the cartridge is going to be extracted and sent flying to the ground. Some push feeds feed flawlessly and are excellent guns, I'm not going to lie....but then you will run into one that doesn't like to feed and extract and it makes you never want to own one again. I must be brain dead because I took a chance and bought 2 more push feed, they work fine...but I won't anymore. I just love my control feed rifles and the push feed ones never get used.

Well there you have it from Enysee

Only controlled feed Sako ever made was the Sako High Power, only ever seen one.

Ive never used a positive feed arm myself but it does sound like a good idea given that chap called Murphy could pop round to see you

Ive never used a positive feed arm myself but it does sound like a good idea given that chap called Murphy could pop round to see you

Controlled feed was introduced by Paul Mauser to prevent double feeding and the unfortunate consequences thereof, i.e. bullet hits primer of round in front, this being somewhat of a problem with the newfangled military magazine rifles in the late 19th century AND FOR NO OTHER REASON. The fact that all the rubbish drops off the bottom of the face and you do not have to constantly remove brass shavings with a stiff brush, is a bonus.

I do not mind a push feed on the range but when I am out in the bush or up on a ridge at the end of a long day, the extra margin of operational safety is a comfort to me. Other people couldn't give a toss and that is fair enough too.

The important thing is, that you now know why Herr Mauser made the change.

NB Captain Murphy was (reportedly) a U.S. Air Force Officer, who was heard complaining about poor workmanship on a rocket sled (a test apparatus). His argument, apparently, was that if there was any way for the workman in question to stuff a job up, he would.

Last edited:
If I could buy that rifle for 200 GBP, I would do it, the Sako L61R action is very reliable.

well my question was answered by myself yesterday at the range. I was having a race with a buddy (10 round rapid) and on the 4th round I had a double feed!!! I would not want that in the field :S Rip:

It's happens to me too, norfolk shooter too! My temper flares it when it happens. Like I said control round feed.

As dreaded push feed designs go, Sako is one of the best, (if not the best of the best), in terms of reliability and accuracy, combined with pretty much never needing repairs / Gunsmith visits.
As repeaters go, I prefer the full length extractor / controlled round feed design of
Paul Mauser's Model 98, and most of the reasonable copies thereafter (Model 70 / Brno / CZ, Dakota, etc.
However, the Finnbear is a very good rifle, if you can even find one these days.

Last edited:
I would not blame the rifle for the double feed,short stroking the bolt is operator error. You would have been in trouble with a control feed action anyway,empty chamber and a click instead of a bang could get you hurt too.

I would not blame the rifle for the double feed,short stroking the bolt is operator error. You would have been in trouble with a control feed action anyway,empty chamber and a click instead of a bang could get you hurt too.
More reason to get a double I guess

All guns could potentially have a problem,even doubles. The best advice is practice practice and more practice,know your rifle no matter if it's pushfeed,control feed,single shot or a double.I have seen more hunters fall appart at crunch time than rifles. A rifle is a tool and besides the rare mechanical failure, errors are mostly human.
I have each type of rifle mentioned above,none of them are perfect but if I do my part they do theirs.

I've been at big game hunting since 1971, and have never had a feeding problem with crf or push feed. I think the crf lovefest is a little overrated personally (no offense intended).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abferrell60

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.