Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

I know why deep diving watches need helium release valves. But that model is a 2000 ft model without the valve.

During deep Saturation diving most of the time is spent in a bell and chamber. You stay at the working pressure until the job is complete. Then the long. Up to 30 day decompression is started.

Helium and other inert gases are used at depth. Helium is a very small molecule, and can actually slip between the seams and gaskets of most devices and get inside a watch. Then while ascending pressure builds up and it needs to be released from inside the watch.

Interesting on the Omega front. Mine is older but engraved. Granted, Neptune is much cooler.
The gen 1 Omega Planet Ocean with the 2200 caliber movement had that case back. They were also the last of the PO's to have the extra engraving on the deployment clasp.
1710200296411.png

My wife and I each have the gen 2 sporting the 8500 and 8520 movements with the "sapphire sandwich".

The gen 1 Omega Planet Ocean with the 2200 caliber movement had that case back. They were also the last of the PO's to have the extra engraving on the deployment clasp.
View attachment 592566

My wife and I each have the gen 2 sporting the 8500 and 8520 movements with the "sapphire sandwich".
Gen 2 may be the way to go. Gen 1 seems to attract rat snakes . . .

IMG_6571.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel, As a public service message to all members

Never open your microwave door while it’s operating. Always shut it off first.

Using the door switch to shut the microwave off. Sends all the operating load through that switch.
That will cause the door switch to fail. Cheap fix

Also, microwave ovens are sensitive to dirty voltage. They do not operate well on old generators or dirty utility voltage.

Quick internet search results.

Why is it bad for the motor of a microwave to open the door mid cycle without pressing the stop button?

Why is it bad for the motor of a microwave to open the door mid-cycle without pressing the stop button? It's not bad for the motor but it is bad for the door switches. When the microwave is running the power for the microwave transformer runs through the door safety switch system.Jun 28, 2018
Apparently the older ones have more durable door switches. My 39 year old JC Penney model is still running fine (albeit slower than a new model), and I'm guilty of opening it regularly while it's running. Replacing appliances prior to their death is something I can't recall ever experiencing, lol. Unfortunately, I have experienced several dishwasher deaths in the last 10 years. The days of the 20-30 year old Kenmore appliances are gone I'm afraid...:E Sad:

"What the hell is a Yachting Timer"? & "Are there any Yacht, Sail, Vessel Owners", Enthusiasts?
1710242806538.png

1710242931953.png

1710242974020.png

Last edited:
This is unbelievable .. low tropical depression, Pacific?

"What the hell is a Yachting Timer"? & "Are there any Yacht, Sail, Vessel Owners", Enthusiasts?
View attachment 592637
View attachment 592638
View attachment 592639
Not sure how this one works. Which watch is that?

The way mine works:

Sailboat races are started by "time". Let's discuss a five minute start. Five minutes from the starting gun, a gun goes off. That means the start is five minutes away. There is also a flag signal, but again, five minutes. Not "about five minutes". Exactly five. Some use a stopwatch to track this. Others a countdown timer. The trick is to position your boat exactly on the line when the starting gun goes, and to do this, you need to know exactly when that gun will blow. So a watch that makes it easy to see time left, without having to hunt for the details is most helpful.

Here is one area where analog is much more helpful than digital. Glancing at a sweep hand is much more intuitive than looking at a number.

So when I switch my watch to countdown mode, it shows one hand on "5", and a sweep second hand that goes all around the dial. Every six seconds, the hand on "5" jumps one tenth. When the second hand goes a full sixty seconds, the hand will be pointing on 4. When it finally gets to zero, the stopwatch starts timing the race. I can use the lap time function to track how far one boat is ahead at a mark, etc. Knowing total elapsed time is required for handicapping, but that's getting more complicated.

This graphic is a little complicated, but the upper right shows the signals in a starting sequence.

Start Sequence copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent the last few days talking and texting with @Altitude sickness about a possible watch purchase. He made a bid on a beautiful Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (gen 1) that should be showing up not too long from now.

All that watch talk & research got me looking...got my wife looking too. The first one is really nice, the second one is simply amazing. We need more watches like a hole in the head, but damn it's fun to look. The wife is quite smitten with the textured face on the second one.
View attachment 592546

View attachment 592545

Can't beat an Omega....every time I go into their store here it's all I can do to leave my wallet in my pocket....Rolex can keep their watches, service absolutely sucks and, IMHO, the Omega is a better watch.

Can't beat an Omega....every time I go into their store here it's all I can do to leave my wallet in my pocket....Rolex can keep their watches, service absolutely sucks and, IMHO, the Omega is a better watch.
They're awesome watches, no doubt, except for the resale/retained value. Buy them preowned unless that doesn't matter to you

Not sure how this one works. Which watch is that?

The way mine works:

Sailboat races are started by "time". Let's discuss a five minute start. Five minutes from the starting gun, a gun goes off. That means the start is five minutes away. There is also a flag signal, but again, five minutes. Not "about five minutes". Exactly five. Some use a stopwatch to track this. Others a countdown timer. The trick is to position your boat exactly on the line when the starting gun goes, and to do this, you need to know exactly when that gun will blow. So a watch that makes it easy to see time left, without having to hunt for the details is most helpful.

Here is one area where analog is much more helpful than digital. Glancing at a sweep hand is much more intuitive than looking at a number.

So when I switch my watch to countdown mode, it shows one hand on "5", and a sweep second hand that goes all around the dial. Every six seconds, the hand on "5" jumps one tenth. When the second hand goes a full sixty seconds, the hand will be pointing on 4. When it finally gets to zero, the stopwatch starts timing the race. I can use the lap time function to track how far one boat is ahead at a mark, etc. Knowing total elapsed time is required for handicapping, but that's getting more complicated.

This graphic is a little complicated, but the upper right shows the signals in a starting sequence.

View attachment 592658
Thank you. I had to read this a few times, (+ studying the chart) merely fascinated. The watch came from Macy's long ago, just liked it, different.

1710260260517.png

1710260310957.png

I've never had the desire to own a Rolex watch. I am quite happy with my Tag Heuer chronograph. I'll happily use the extra cash to enjoy a few more African safaris.

The wifes grand father did a bit of work setting up the rolex workshops after the war, He was offered a job in switzerland but turned them down. He was setting up his own jewlery shop and asked for dealership which they gave him instead. Always said the Tudor watches were far better than option than

I cracked the glass on my father’s old Tudor shooting a 505 off a rest some years ago . Have never worn a watch shooting/ hunting since . Just look at my phone for the time . Fortunately was able to get the watch fixed .

Not sure why you think Rolex service sucks. When I was living in greater DFW, I took mine in for service. As I was a “walk-in” they gave me a loaner Tudor while mine was being serviced. The last time I was a walk-in but not living in DFW anymore no more loaners. They did have lots of Lindt miniatures. And I had more than my fair share. You can’t go wrong with Lindt or Neuhaus chocolates.

Thank you. I had to read this a few times, (+ studying the chart) merely fascinated. The watch came from Macy's long ago, just liked it, different.

View attachment 592665
View attachment 592666
I have a Corum Tides watch . I have owned boats with deep draft all my life and always keen to know what the tide is doing . Concept is brilliant but practicality - Zero . Forever having to reset dates / moon phases a complicated procedure requiring tide tables and needing jeweller instruments . Constantly breaks down and expensive to fix . 25 years ago when I bought it I could have got a WR rifle for less . I regret buying the watch - should have bought the tide book and the WR .

View attachment 592566

Absolutely correct except it’s a 2500 movement. There are no loser’s between these movements as my Gen1 2500 PO is only 45sec fast per month! Less than a second a day is incredible performance!
For what it’s worth I much prefer the 2500 over the 8500 as it is a little thinner, just as tough, and has the engraved case back…
I personally do not like the exhibition case backs on ”Tool Watches”, but that’s me.
And no disrespect to most here but I doubt anyone here has beat on their watch harder than I have my PO and this thing still looks brand new!!! I bought my PO after knocking the winder off of my Rolex “No Date” Sub not once but twice! I went to Omega after the second time and have never looked back!

Absolutely correct except it’s a 2500 movement. There are no loser’s between these movements as my Gen1 2500 PO is only 45sec fast per month! Less than a second a day is incredible performance!
For what it’s worth I much prefer the 2500 over the 8500 as it is a little thinner, just as tough, and has the engraved case back…
I personally do not like the exhibition case backs on ”Tool Watches”, but that’s me.
And no disrespect to most here but I doubt anyone here has beat on their watch harder than I have my PO and this thing still looks brand new!!! I bought my PO after knocking the winder off of my Rolex “No Date” Sub not once but twice! I went to Omega after the second time and have never looked back!
My apologies. Yes the 2500 movement and a beautiful timepiece.

@SaintPanzer @PCC600. Thank you. Always intrigued by the water's & Vessel's in part due to a fear of it. What I do have a problem with, is Helly Hansen. Some workwear has served well for sub-zero conditions, but their rainwear .. seems far from water resistent. ?

1710344202199.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.