CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Raising a question about reloading for dangerous game rather than derail another thread about reloading for dangerous game.

I have not reloaded for dangerous game but believe I would if I were to plan some form of dangerous game hunt.

I have my .375H&H that I plan to keep in case I decide to hunt some form of DG.

I have always thought I will reload for a DG hunt if it eventuates. I have components including Woodleigh projectiles and a new set of dies still in shrink wrap.

Ive only fired PPU factory ammo through it and have one pack of Hornady Dangerous Game ammo I picked up in a small back street gun shop.

I enjoy reloading and thought in part the idea is to have a hand in quality control and component selection.

I saw @Philip Glass posted a comment recommending against reloading for dangerous game. He is far more experienced than me so it seems like a good question to ask.

In general I'm just looking for people thoughts, experiences, reasoning or justification to choose reloads or factory loads for dangerous game and any stories they have that might have.

I have been to Africa 3 times but again I am no expert. I reload slowly and carefully. Run all reloads through the guns to be used. Practice with your reloads. I like using once fired brass for mine. I have never had an issue.

I’ve shot both factory ammo and reloaded for over 35 years, as an active hunter I have only ever had one issue with ammunition and that was a Remington factory.308 round that was in my gun when I was about to shoot a nice red stag in Scotland, the gun went click, no bang! A quick bit of bolt work gave me a fresh round and l shot the stag. The problem round was a bad primer, the only one out of a batch of 300 rounds!

I consider myself an experienced and competent reloader, and take considerable time and care to load hunting ammunition particularly if it is for DG.

One of my recent projects was to replicate 300 grain Barnes factory ammunition in .375 H&H with TSX bullets, so I could have several hundred practice loads. I developed my load to achieve the same velocity as claimed by Barnes. When I finally got hold of some factory loads, I field tested them and found that they did not achieve the declared velocity from my gun. My reloads were 100fps faster, same point of impact and same grouping as factory. Just need to decide do I take the factory loads or my reloads on my upcoming trip.

Whichever ammunition I decide to use, I will carefully visually inspect each round and cycle it through my gun twice before finally packing it for my upcoming DG trip.

Last edited:
Not a problem if your loading practices are sound and consistent. As well as you shoot and test to develop that consistency. I’ve been 3 times and never a problem for me loading CEB raptors/solids or Hammer bullets.

Your competency level and experience in reloading is the deciding factor IMO. I would not suggest a beginner reload for a dangerous game hunt. you must have the proper equipment and practice with your reloads. I would not be comfortable hunting dangerous game with my reloads if I did not have a chronograph and the experience gained from years of loading and shooting those loads. There are so many variables that affect the velocity it’s impossible to estimate without (chronograph) one. I’ve used Quickload and many different manuals. Sometimes the velocities estimated in manuals and QL are close but most of the time they are quite a bit different (100-200fps). I would guess most loaders spend more time at the range than non loaders. That practice especially with the powerful recoiling Safari calibers is a crucial part of a dangerous game hunt preparation. Experienced reloaders with the proper equipment know that that their ammo is as safe and effective as any premium factory loaded ammo.

Raising a question about reloading for dangerous game rather than derail another thread about reloading for dangerous game.

I have not reloaded for dangerous game but believe I would if I were to plan some form of dangerous game hunt.

I have my .375H&H that I plan to keep in case I decide to hunt some form of DG.

I have always thought I will reload for a DG hunt if it eventuates. I have components including Woodleigh projectiles and a new set of dies still in shrink wrap.

Ive only fired PPU factory ammo through it and have one pack of Hornady Dangerous Game ammo I picked up in a small back street gun shop.

I enjoy reloading and thought in part the idea is to have a hand in quality control and component selection.

I saw @Philip Glass posted a comment recommending against reloading for dangerous game. He is far more experienced than me so it seems like a good question to ask.

In general I'm just looking for people thoughts, experiences, reasoning or justification to choose reloads or factory loads for dangerous game and any stories they have that might have.
You will find many opinions for and just a very few against. I am for given i have reloaded many years for 375, 450-400, 470, 500. Easy and fun. If you buy the components you will end up so much cheaper than loaded ammo and more important my experience is far easier to source

You will find many opinions for and just a very few against. I am for given i have reloaded many years for 375, 450-400, 470, 500. Easy and fun. If you buy the components you will end up so much cheaper than loaded ammo and more important my experience is far easier to source
In regarding sourcing components that is a bonus.
In Australia I can get cases and projectiles posted but there is no option to have loaded ammo posted.
No gun shop carries it all and some things are scarce at present .
I like the idea of assembling my choice of components with a purpose in mind and hopefully I can develop an accurate load in the process.
Choice of components might open a can of worms if I ask what is the best projectile for "X"

In my approximately 45 yrs of hunting, I’ve only shot one animal with a factory load.That said, if after DG and with minimal reloading experience, I would choose factory loads. Once you have several years of reloading experience and know that your methods work with the utmost reliability, only then would I use reloads for DG.

In regarding sourcing components that is a bonus.
In Australia I can get cases and projectiles posted but there is no option to have loaded ammo posted.
No gun shop carries it all and some things are scarce at present .
I like the idea of assembling my choice of components with a purpose in mind and hopefully I can develop an accurate load in the process.
Choice of components might open a can of worms if I ask what is the best projectile for "X"
Absolutely no can of worms opened! If, for example you ask what type bullets, powder, brass and loads are most accurate in a 375 for people you will get a wealth of information on AH. There is not one best anything only great combinations of things that work. Happy for you wanting to go back to Africa with your 375!!

I reload for everything, including the DG hunts I've done. I'm pretty cautious anyhow with a good system of checks, but will admit I go to a few extra lengths with DG loads to ensure consistency.

I like 9.3 and .375 but if you want to use a 30-06 get a 200 grain North Fork or Barnes, or a 220/240 woodleigh expanding bullet. Solids are for brain shots.

I've only ever hunted big game with my own reloads. I get great enjoyment out of making my own ammunition and then using it in the field. I like the ability to have direct control over every step of the process from a quality standpoint. I also cycle ever loaded round through my action at the range prior to a hunt trip. This holds for both dangerous and non-dangerous game.

Knock on wood, I've only had 1 round EVER not go off, and that was a 12ga target load shooting skeet last weekend. Between target shotgun and centerfire rounds, I probably load 15,000 cartridges a year.

CBH Australia, I agree with all of the reloaders comments. Re. the best projectile that might be up for grabs. But let me ask you a question, when is the last time you heard or read of a complaint with Woodleigh bullets? Work up a load for their Soft Nose and Hydrostatically Stabilized projectiles and you will have all of the basis covered.

CBH Australia, I agree with all of the reloaders comments. Re. the best projectile that might be up for grabs. But let me ask you a question, when is the last time you heard or read of a complaint with Woodleigh bullets? Work up a load for their Soft Nose and Hydrostatically Stabilized projectiles and you will have all of the basis covered.
That's a fair point. But I did have one person tell me they don't think they are a premium projectile and they won't use them. It was an outfitter I was making enquiries with in Australia.

My only experience with Woodleigh 140gn ppsp. They are exceptionally accurate in my .280ai so I stuck with them. I have only used them on Fallow deer to date. Each one taken cleanly with one shot.
I would use them on pigs. I would look at a heavier option if I was pursuing a bigger deer species.

CBH, another point would be to chrono your loads. DG loads need to be 'up to speed' to achieve desired energy.

There are many variables to re-loading and to find the right combo for you and your rifle, you will need to practice and diligently follow the process using the correct components. Every modern-day bullet and powder have been developed with a specific purpose to hunt certain varieties of games. If you adhere to this, you should be safe. But practice with your loads and using chronograph is key.

Secondly on loads, please start with the basic and work your way up, now there are numerous loads available, manuals, quick loads, loads data, individuals etc., I read and analyze all the different data and come to a rationalization on the no’s, in terms of grains of powder and C.O.A.L. to start and end.

When it comes to these two imps. variables I generally tend to use the Company manufacturing the powder loads data if they exist. For example, for my 470 I referred to Alliant Data loads for RL-19 and 22. Now if they just have one no. so I will start few grains less and then work up, but never cross their recommended load.
Similarly, I will use, Hodgdon reloading data or Vihtavuori but will also look up the bullet I'm using load data to compare and rationalize. For exp, Barnes or Woodleigh data.
Complexity is in the no. of variables plus how well you can shoot all put together and then coming up with an ideal load that you are confident of when your life may be on the line. Then there is always the PH should something beyond your control happen or Murphy's law is in effect.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of PH’s load their own ammo used to backup clients.
Good point,

I'm not pushing for or against just looking for opinions and reasoning.

I do believe reloading should be done with due diligence and good practices and it allows a choice of bullet selection.

While I haven't hunted DG I thought a part of reloading in general was to have control over the process and done correctly it would result in a reliable load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH