Reboring .416 to.423

RR 314

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Thinking about having a pre-64 rebored from .416 to .423. Does anyone have a reputable smith for the job? Called JES and they don’t do .423. Thanks.

Just looked at Wayne’s website. Looks like he could have been the man for the job but doesn’t do .423.

I was not sure. Re-boring to .400 and above, unless .458 seems tough to find.

Why was my first thought also. This would mean enlarging the bore .007“ or .0035 a side. .0035 would be roughly a human hair, leaning more blonde:cool:
The twist rate and matching of lands and grooves would have to be maintained to work in my feeble mind.
I would be interested in how this could be done commercially.

Well, you gents are better at math than I am. May have to go to .458. Thought I could go from .416 to 404 Jeff. Sounds like not practical. Thanks for the insight.

I feel your pain, I struggled to find a smith that had the equipment to rebore; and then the reboring process didn’t turn out and screwed the factory barrel.

Then it took 2 years to get the parts back after a 6 month promise.

Do NOT use Classic Barrel & Action of Prescott Arizona.

It won't be only matching the rifling; what chambers are involved; from, and to? Aren't 404 components (cases, bullets) in short supply? Far better to have the barrel pulled and set aside, then a new one machined and fitted. Much more to the story ...

Reactions: RLL
Leave the 416 alone and get a 458 if uou want it. Less stress and time.
Krish
Oh, I have a .458 or three. :)

54E69218-96F9-4375-A8C2-791F82818C65.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be only matching the rifling; what chambers are involved; from, and to? Aren't 404 components (cases, bullets) in short supply? Far better to have the barrel pulled and set aside, then a new one machined and fitted. Much more to the story ...
I have a lot of .404 components and love the round. Also like the .458 Lott. Have a couple Lotts and one .404. May just keep the .416 as is but will likely just stay in the safe if I don’t have it rechambered.

It can only go up in value. Or you can sell it and get something else. You already have a 404. 416 don't have enough meat to remove. It may shatter and ruin the barrel. If you want another 404 Packnor will turn you a barrel and fit it to your action and true it. They can make exactly like your 416 barrel. So you can use the same stock.
Krish

More over no matter how well the barrels are made they do get sir pockets in them. That is whas t shatters them while rehboring. That is why the smiths don't guarantee.
Krish

More over no matter how well the barrels are made they do get sir pockets in them. That is whas t shatters them while rehboring. That is why the smiths don't guarantee.
Krish
Thanks to all. I will scratch the rebore-rechamber idea!

I feel your pain, I struggled to find a smith that had the equipment to rebore; and then the reboring process didn’t turn out and screwed the factory barrel.

Then it took 2 years to get the parts back after a 6 month promise.

Do NOT use Classic Barrel & Action of Prescott Arizona.
I’m with you. Dan was a nice guy but 2 years later and my .318 WR was cut too short and my 300 RUM to .404 Jeff didn’t have the sights and barrel band put on and it would not feed. I think he is closed now.

Krish
Krish is 100% correct, in my case the reboring quill that the cutting fluid is pumped through hit a hard spot which I was told mostly because too much nickel in the steel.

In my case it was a BRNO 602 from .375 to .404

The smith then took it upon himself to cut a custom barrel from 4140cm.

Thanks to all. I will scratch the rebore-rechamber idea!
I think a re-barrel is the way to go. From an engineering stand point, reboring is always sticky. You are removing material and the barrel can(and will probably) have stresses internally. So your barrel can have slight bends or a tendency to walk groups after rebore. Off the shelf barrels tend to have the junk barrels dumped during processing so you are more likely to get a good barrel. And lets be honest, collectors value goes out the window if you do any mods- if that was ever a consideration.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayHumble

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.