Pulling the trigger on my first safari

twilly24

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm considering a 2017 Plains game hunt in South Africa. The PH I want to use is telling me with the strong US dollar. I need to book for 2017. So my question is. Is the saving really passed on to me with the strong dollar or is this just another sales point for him. I have received a quote for the hunt I want and the animals I would like. And the deal is less then his advertised price list. I trust him. One reason I'm going with him. I have had two close friends hunt with him and had amazing hunts. So are any people going on trips because of the strong dollar. Thanks

There seems to be 3 reasonably good reasons for some cheaper than normal hunts available. First is the rand to dollar rate. First time I went to Africa I think it was 7 to 1. Next trip 8 to one. Then like 11 to 1. Lately around 15 to 1.
Then is drought. Parts of RSA have not had their normal rainfall for the last couple of years. Some places it gets to the point of feeding animals, hunting animals or letting them starve. They may not die, but are more susceptible to disease.
Next is the fall of oil and the resulting unemployment / lack of funds of those in the oil segment.. Less hunters means a drop in demand so some will cut prices to attract hunters.
You may or may not be getting a deal. You might look at the deals section here on AH. Compare animals and hunting days. You can get a pretty good feel by looking at the last 4 months of offers. Best of luck. Go and enjoy yourself. Lots of pre and post hunt helps available here on AH. Then please return and report. Bruce

As Bruce said, you are going to have to compare and determine if it is a "deal".

All those factors are coming into play. They may need some sales now just to stay afloat, who knows.

Research and compare.

Good luck.

There seems to be 3 reasonably good reasons for some cheaper than normal hunts available. First is the rand to dollar rate. First time I went to Africa I think it was 7 to 1. Next trip 8 to one. Then like 11 to 1. Lately around 15 to 1.
Then is drought. Parts of RSA have not had their normal rainfall for the last couple of years. Some places it gets to the point of feeding animals, hunting animals or letting them starve. They may not die, but are more susceptible to disease.
Next is the fall of oil and the resulting unemployment / lack of funds of those in the oil segment.. Less hunters means a drop in demand so some will cut prices to attract hunters.
You may or may not be getting a deal. You might look at the deals section here on AH. Compare animals and hunting days. You can get a pretty good feel by looking at the last 4 months of offers. Best of luck. Go and enjoy yourself. Lots of pre and post hunt helps available here on AH. Then please return and report. Bruce

Very good points here. Lot of factors going into pricing right now!

By the way if I didn't welcome you before.....welcome to AH

Like any other purchase, if you are happy with your purchase, it was a great purchase. I can't imagine not being pleased with the Safari experience!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luz493361

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.