Post Covid Rising Safari Cost

Regardless of cost increases North American hunts became stupidly expensive.
I understand there's inflation but how do you justify doubling prices in 2-3 years?
I also believe that as American hunters we are being taken advantage of all over the World.
I see lower prices being offered in Europe for the same hunts in Africa and elsewhere.

I made the decision to book my first hunt in Africa for July 2024 after seeing the price increases on Moose, grizzly & Elk hunts; I can fly to Zimbabwe and hunt for 10days with a tuskless & other game on the menu for roughly 50% of a decent Alaska or western state hunts.

I only hope that my first safari isn’t my last as prices are certain to increase.

I've also been tracking Moose hunts in British Columbia province. For whatever reason the hunt cost is decreasing over the last two seasons by ~$1,500 - $2,000 USD.

Perhaps supply and demand is still in effect?

Just having a place to live is going to severely hamper the recruiting of younger generations to the international hunting scene. The price of decent land, houses and building materials is enough to make your head spin if you're in the market for your own home, not to mention sky high interest rates.

Just having a place to live is going to severely hamper the recruiting of younger generations to the international hunting scene. The price of decent land, houses and building materials is enough to make your head spin if you're in the market for your own home, not to mention sky high interest rates.
You are correct sir!… the only young people getting into hunting internationally are those born into generational wealth.

I passed over the wife and kids option and bought a farm instead of a house; if I’d taken the normal family route I wouldn’t be hunting or fishing internationally….. ever!

Lon, are you referring to medical insurance you have to carry for your staff? On both of my trips over I carried Global Rescue to for medical emergencies and to get me back to my home if necessary. Fortunately I never had to use it. I believe I paid about $170 for each trip to cover me. I consider that insignificant for myself when you consider the overall cost of a hunt. My last trip was 2018 since covid cancelled my last in August 2020. I am pretty sure it would be more now if for no other reason I am older now since age is a major contributor to the cost of the insurance.
As of 2022, about $300 for medical/evac insurance for 65yoa. Another $500 for trip insurance. All of these "insignificant" costs add up real quick especially for a $6-8K PG hunt. Still, IMHO a guided African hunt on generally private property for a number of different species with all accommodations is a real bargain compared to the same for a North American hunt for generally one or two species of animals. I can say this because I'm a cheap bastard and look for value when spending my limited hunting funds. LOL

I understand there's inflation but how do you justify doubling prices in 2-3 years?
I also believe that as American hunters we are being taken advantage of all over the World.
I see lower prices being offered in Europe for the same hunts in Africa and elsewhere.
Alaska has went way up but hunts in lower 48 not as much. At least that’s what I’ve seen.

You are correct sir!… the only young people getting into hunting internationally are those born into generational wealth.

I passed over the wife and kids option and bought a farm instead of a house; if I’d taken the normal family route I wouldn’t be hunting or fishing internationally….. ever!
Or working hard in a specialty domain that pays well.

Cost are usually the things you don’t think about.

Alaska for instance Look up the cost, maintenance and insurance on a DeHaviland Beaver. A beat up beaver is very expensive

Boats, motors, horses, tack.

Employees want more pay. It adds up very quickly when you can only take so many hunters per year. No one is getting rich guiding hunters. And it’s ridiculously hard work for 120 hrs per week.

I will try to answer a few questions with this one post.

Every african country is different, but in Zim. 98 % of the time the game meat belongs to someone other than the operator. It is usually belongs to National Parks, Forestry, land owner. We have a leased concession 100% of the game meat is supposed to go to the people in the area. Do we get some for our workers or our clients. It is also illegal to sell game meat.

Do we have to pay for our quota in advance of hunts yes. I like to be as upfront as possible ( I do not like the overused word “transparent”. We have a leased concession. At any time Binga Council had change our permit costs, we either pay it or loose it. If we do not pay it then someone else can buy, only problem is we have the hunting lease. See where this is going, court. This year they wanted 25% more for elephant permits than last year. We would loose money on every hunt. Fortunately, my wife was able to negotiate the price to last years price, which was 50% more than the year before.

Medical , I am dealing with a medical condition at the moment. I am receiving treatment in RSA and I cannot get insurance so everything comes out of my pocket it is expensive, but in the USA it would be prohibitive, but this is my problem. As to employees, we do not maintain insurance, but we pay their and the immediate families Dr. bills. In 2023 they exceeded $15,000.00

A few hours ago I was talking to another operator. He had just received a quote on a new land cruiser they have just gone up another $20,000.00 + here in Zim. That is why we have just bought a new Mahindra. Now I can buy 4 of those for the price of 1 Land Cruiser with a 4 year service contract & 5 year warranty.

I am not complaining I love what we do and what we have accomplished in wildlife conservation, but obviously a business has to show a profit no matter what that business might be or where it is located.

Lon

Hi Doubleplay, As far as American hunters being taken advantage of you may want to take a close look at what SOME agents are charging in comparison to what the operator charges. We as a company use no agents nor do we pay any commissions or offer any benefits to any agent. In recent times we had a hunt we did not know an agent was being used. The markup to the hunter was 100%. Unfortunately for his agent the client saw our posted price list then the fight started.

Lon

Does SCI or any other organization offer a fund. To help injured or disabled PH’s

Or guides in the US
Or does any of the countries fees or licensing go to fund injured or disabled guides and PH’s. This may be something to work out between hunters and outfitters. We could start a fee or foundation to help. This may help lower costs for all of us.
If there is already let me know

Lon - I take none of your comments as complaints and view them as sharing the hurdles you deal with in the day-to-day operations. I wish you continued success and hope you get through the medical issues and come out the back side stronger.

I've been retired since just before covid hit. My wife and I are doing well. But, I have to be financially responsible - the 'if you spend a dollar too much today you won't get it back for later' kind of mantra.

I had bought Wyoming non-resident points for 10 years or more without applying. Last year, I no longer bought points and I will let what I accumulated expire. I had two really good elk hunts, so I'm ok with it but also disappointed in the non-resident reduction in tags.

I always wanted to hunt coastal brown bear in Alaska. I realized about ten years ago, I could just about do an elephant hunt for the same price.

I doubt I'll hunt anything in the US anymore except maybe a white tail deer. I hope to get back to Africa for buffalo one more time and possibly a trophy or own-use elephant. However, as we and our friends age, it is becoming more important for us to have trips with them as several have medical issues that will eventually cause them to curtail their travels. So, I continue to defer one more Africa Safari.

Cost are usually the things you don’t think about.

Alaska for instance Look up the cost, maintenance and insurance on a DeHaviland Beaver. A beat up beaver is very expensive

Boats, motors, horses, tack.

Employees want more pay. It adds up very quickly when you can only take so many hunters per year. No one is getting rich guiding hunters. And it’s ridiculously hard work for 120 hrs per week.
I get it but no one is forcing them to be outfitters.
The biggest reason the prices of Alaska is increasing that much is demand and greed not the cost.
In 1995 I booked a Dall sheep hunt in Yukon for $7500 all included now the same hunt in 2025 costs around $40.000.
A quick search shows me $7500 in 1995 is worth $15000 now.

I will try to answer a few questions with this one post.

Every african country is different, but in Zim. 98 % of the time the game meat belongs to someone other than the operator. It is usually belongs to National Parks, Forestry, land owner. We have a leased concession 100% of the game meat is supposed to go to the people in the area. Do we get some for our workers or our clients. It is also illegal to sell game meat.

Do we have to pay for our quota in advance of hunts yes. I like to be as upfront as possible ( I do not like the overused word “transparent”. We have a leased concession. At any time Binga Council had change our permit costs, we either pay it or loose it. If we do not pay it then someone else can buy, only problem is we have the hunting lease. See where this is going, court. This year they wanted 25% more for elephant permits than last year. We would loose money on every hunt. Fortunately, my wife was able to negotiate the price to last years price, which was 50% more than the year before.

Medical , I am dealing with a medical condition at the moment. I am receiving treatment in RSA and I cannot get insurance so everything comes out of my pocket it is expensive, but in the USA it would be prohibitive, but this is my problem. As to employees, we do not maintain insurance, but we pay their and the immediate families Dr. bills. In 2023 they exceeded $15,000.00

A few hours ago I was talking to another operator. He had just received a quote on a new land cruiser they have just gone up another $20,000.00 + here in Zim. That is why we have just bought a new Mahindra. Now I can buy 4 of those for the price of 1 Land Cruiser with a 4 year service contract & 5 year warranty.

I am not complaining I love what we do and what we have accomplished in wildlife conservation, but obviously a business has to show a profit no matter what that business might be or where it is located.

Lon
No one goes into a business that they have a passion for, just to lose money. Best wishes for your health recovery!

As a boy in the USA I remember seeing his moldy hunting magazines. In the add section at the back Black Rhino $699.00. I might be off on the prices, but I do not think so. I believe the country was Kenya.
Maybe someone could correct or enlighten me.

As a boy in the USA I remember seeing his moldy hunting magazines. In the add section at the back Black Rhino $699.00. I might be off on the prices, but I do not think so. I believe the country was Kenya.
Maybe someone could correct or enlighten me.
I used to read those and dream of hunts. I wanted to be a PH when I was 13 yo. David Ommany (?) and more were my hero's.

No one goes into a business that they have a passion for, just to lose money. Best wishes for your health recovery!
Flying Sailor,

Thank you for your wishes. Today was the first time I have been in a vehicle in many months. My wife and I went to talk to a land owner about doing hunts out of his lodge and on his large concession. The meeting went will and if we do start doing hunts there AH members will be the first to know and I promise never to exceed a 20% margin, wishful thinking I guess.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjohnson1967

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?