Plains Game with iron sights?

franzfmdavis

AH member
Reaction score
I am interested to hear what plains game people may have hunted with iron sights on a double rifle (please include calibers used and distances shot)?

I am interested to hear what plains game people may have hunted with iron sights on a double rifle (please include calibers used and distances shot)?
Depends on the shooter my plains game shots have been between 60 yards and 380 yards all with a .300 win mag shooting a 200 grain terminal ascent round. It’s a limiting factor but doable for sure

Get close , then get Closer!

I have a few old time hunters that bring open sighted big game rifles and they have hunted everything from Duiker and steenbok to Giraffe and Buffalo! its great fun to walk and stalk close!

I think nowadays we don't stalk closer anymore because 150 yards is considered close with modern rifle calibers and scopes if the terrain allows

Most hunters will easily shoot out to 100 yards with open sights that I have guided on medium to big game game , small game out to 50 yards or so depending on eyesight and fitness level

Me personally once hit a wildebeest that was wounded and ran across an open area at 200 yards with my 375 Ruger but wouldn't want to repeat those luck shots under pressure;)

I think young hunters today don't even know rifles come without scopes! haha!

take your double out and use it on everything you will love it!

Maybe a few members could mention Red Dots sights in this post? Personally I think they are great, if not increasing distance but close range accuracy.

Lon

I have hunted quite a bit of PG with a double rifle, but it is a scoped Blaser S2. The closest likely would have been a warthog at forty yards or so, and the farthest a waterbuck at 225. A buffalo was at around seventy. About half were taken with 30-06 barrels and remainder with .375. Only thing I have taken with irons quite a few years ago were two warthog for bait with a twelve bore paradox. They were both inside fifty yards.

Just remember you need to be very competent with those irons, and you need an accurate load. A drop of blood equals a trophy fee.

Rule #1-With irons you have to know your limitations and stay within them! Hunting with irons is a very rewarding endeavor if you follow rule #1.

I with irons on a double I have taken with a 450NE Cape Buffalo (22yards), warthog (5yards), and zebra (101 yards) . With a 450/400 double a hippo (48meters), and Roan (75 meters). With a 9.3x74 double a eland (75 yards) and Sable 85 yards). with a 500 Jeffery bolt action and back up shot on a buddies elephant (28 yards) and a jackal (92 yards). With 577 BPE double a giraffe.

Kinda irons 12ga front bead caracal and large spotted genet.

I’ve hunted nyala, bushbuck and buffalo with iron sights. The nyala and bushbuck were with a 318 DR and the buffalo with a 425 bolt gun. I don’t really know the distance on any, but they were all under 100 yards and the nyala was quite close. I also used the 318 DR on a bushpig over hounds hunt, which was quite an adventure.

Rule #1 above is spot on. You have to be ready and comfortable to pass on game that you could have taken if you were hunting with a scope. Your PH does too - there will likely be less in the salt and fewer trophy fees when its all done - doesn’t mean its a less rewarding hunt.

You and your PH need to know it’s not just about range or distance. You won’t take the shots into small gaps in heavy cover, or looking into the sun, that you would with a scope. You really need the sun at your back or overhead, and better target presentation, or simple get really close.

The first photo is from a hunt with @HENRY GRIFFITHS SAFARIS back in something like 2005ish. Not a double, but an iron sight Marlin 45-70. Can't recall if I shot off sticks or not, nor the range.

The second photo is also with @HENRY GRIFFITHS SAFARIS last year. My iron sight 1910 W.J. Jeffery .475 No. 2 Jeffery. I walked up to the animal, inside 50 yards, feels like closer but maybe Henry remembers, and took the shot off hand. (he was actually under the trees when I took the shot)

@franzfmdavis definitely go hunt plains game with your double, and stalk the animals, no need to sit in a blind. And Henry can get you close to the animals.

DSCF0021.JPG

IMG_7081.jpg

With a .500/.416
Impala X 5 35 to 75 yds
Warthog 50 yds
Zebra 50 yds
Wildebeest 70 yds
Honey Badger 10yds

I’ve hunted both of my elephant, most of my hippopotamus, most of my lions, most of my leopards & most of my Cape buffalo (so far) with iron sights. But only two of these were with a double rifle. The others were with bolt action rifles. Ranges were under 70 yards, most of the time. Calibers were mostly .375 Holland & Holland Magnums. One hippopotamus was shot with a .404 Jeffery. The double rifles were in .458 Winchester Magnum (for one Cape buffalo) & .600 Nitro Express (for one hippopotamus).

I’ve also shot some plains game with my 7x57mm Mauser over iron sights. Ranges were under 100 yards.

I personally greatly enjoy hunting over iron sights because it permits me to stalk my quarry closer. But one must always be brutally honest with themselves.

Hunting African plains game with iron sights (esp. in a double rifle) means that you have to be prepared to pass up certain shots which could otherwise be very easily taken with a telescopic sighted rifle. Please discuss this with your white hunter in advance.
IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_1535.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg

By contrast… in the jungles of Asia, iron sights really come into their own due to the relatively short ranges at which game presents itself.
IMG_1512.jpeg
IMG_2307.jpeg

Last edited:
Ele 450NE/505Gibbs 15/20yrds
Buff 450NE/505Gibbs all inside of 30
Wildebeest 450NE 100yrd
Bush Pig 505Gibbs 35yrd
I strongly believe we have forgotten more than we know about shooting iron sights

Great insights! Thank you everyone! I’ll talk it over with the PH and make sure he is comfortable with it.

Great insights! Thank you everyone! I’ll talk it over with the PH and make sure he is comfortable with it.
My last two Safaris were with Iron sights only.....
You tell the PH what ranges you are comfortable with and it his job to get you there..
Be forewarned you may have to pass up some shots and not come home with an animal you want Above all Do Not let your PH talk you into a shot you are not comfortable with
Have a friend who went to South Africa a couple of years ago with a 7x57 equipped with a Lyman Receiver sight longest shot he took was 260yrds said it was the end of the hunt and felt quite comfortable with the distance shot
When I shot my Wildebeest with my double at 100yrds he was a hell of a lot bigger than an 8" Pie Plate ... I good see all of the muscle definition I needed to make the shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?