New Weatherby Rifle

I believe I've seen a post on here about how affordable a used 460 Weatherby can be had relative to the cost new. I believe someone mentioned a classified ad with a like new rifle, with a box of 19 rounds....

I said in a prior post I don't mind recoil, but I'm not lining up to shoot that one. Although if the opportunity presented itself, I'd give it a try I guess.

I believe I've seen a post on here about how affordable a used 460 Weatherby can be had relative to the cost new. I believe someone mentioned a classified ad with a like new rifle, with a box of 19 rounds....

I said in a prior post I don't mind recoil, but I'm not lining up to shoot that one. Although if the opportunity presented itself, I'd give it a try I guess.
@bobdahunter84
I have put 3 shots thru a 460 and that cured me of ever wanting to buy one. But it can be downloaded to Lott or 458 to make it more pleasant.
Bob

Again, I think it we need to chalk it up to the rifle. I'm sure a 460 WBY could be fine to shoot if the gun was properly built. I have fired cartridges that would EASILY produce more recoil than a 460 WBY or 378 WBY and they were not terrible. My current selection of large bore cartridges would be miserable if fired from poorly made guns.

If a gun hurts to shoot despite proper technique being used, it was not properly made. This can be applied to ANY cartridge. Many guns are too light and/or have improperly shaped stocks. The modern fad of sticking muzzle breaks on everything is a lazy/cheap way of getting around a properly built rifle. People want large bore guns, but they want them to be cheap and light, this is why many are junk.

Also I used to want one of these in .378. Not made anymore apparently and above my price range..

Attachments

• Mark V® Dangerous Game Rifle - Weatherby, Inc..pdf
    262.4 KB · Views: 12
And then there’s the forgotten weatherby…the .416.

That's right, a forgotten cartridge.

It would certainly be a good cartridge, a little more powerful than the cartridge 416 Rigby and therefore more options, especially when it comes to hunting game species other than big game and therefore if you have to shoot a greater distance.

I have a Mark V in 270 Weatherby I bought used it's a great gun, a tad heavy and a Rem XCR II that weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope lol in 375 Weatherby, a bit light. Both are great guns.

Have owned all three, 378, 416 and the 460, I still have the 378 and 416. Lost the 460 in a house fire . They are all custom guns and not wby rifles. The 416 has by far the most recoil. None have brakes.

I only have my Lazermark in 300 Wby.

I always wanted a Euromark in 375 Weatherby and 257 Wby, and a Accumark in 340 Wby.

The stock design definitely doesn’t work for everyone, and the barrels are always 2in too long. However, that action is (IMHO) probably one of the best mass produced push feeds.

The Lazermark are beautiful rifles. Too bad you are not looking for a 300 Weatherby in an Euromark. :D

I only have my Lazermark in 300 Wby.

I always wanted a Euromark in 375 Weatherby and 257 Wby, and a Accumark in 340 Wby.

The stock design definitely doesn’t work for everyone, and the barrels are always 2in too long. However, that action is (IMHO) probably one of the best mass produced push feeds.
The accumark stock is great for recoil. I have it in 338-378. I have the 340 in the fiber mark. My wife has been buying me the vanguard version for the last couple of Christmas presents. The last one in 257wby, the wood on it is very nice which isn’t the norm.

I'll send you pictures tonight on a PM. It's a beauty. :)

Bob, I didn’t want to own up to it until I got the 257 but she bought me a 240 the year before and I knew you would yell at me. Don’t yell I hid it.

Bob, I didn’t want to own up to it until I got the 257 but she bought me a 240 the year before and I knew you would yell at me. Don’t yell I hid it.
@Flewis
Some womenfolk need educating mate.
At least you have a 25 and a few 35s and that other horrible thing is retired ( maybe you could rebarrel it to some thing real like a nice little 250 Savage). So all is forgiven.
Bob

In 1973 I purchased my first new gun, a Weatherby Mark 5 in 300WM. The dealer/gunsmith installed a double (set) trigger with a little shoe like a Glock trigger. When one pushed the trigger forward, the shoe came out and it set the trigger The standard trigger was quite wide and serrated and the pull was a tiny bit over 2#. In “set” mode, one simply had to touch the trigger and the Rifle fired. I purchased this rifle for a 10 day horseback elk and mule deer hunt. The horse, tired of climbing mountains, repeatedly tried to scrape me and my rifle off his back. A few rainy moose and woodland caribou hunts from remote unheated camps and a slide down a talus slope and the Weatherby looks weathered with a heavily scratched stock and blueing that’s needs a redo. I sent the gun out, had all metal parts etched and coated with a military grade “dry lubricant”, synthetically restocked the firearm and had a muzzle break installed. Shoots 0.5 MOA and is one of the best looking foul weather firearms I own (and there are several). Love the rifle and while the original was beautiful, this one has its own special beauty and is light years ahead in functionality.
Ed Lilly: sounds like you now have a great & durable hunting rifle —- but you took a Beauty Queen and had her grow “warts and a beard”….what a shame - and all because she “couldn’t cook”?

@matt85
Our late esteemed gun writer Nick Harvey reckons the big 378 has the most vicious recoil of any recoil of any rife he has fired
Bob
Bob, i thought that distinction went to the .460 Weatherby Mag? The only rifle that can break your shoulder, knock out molars, and part your eyebrow in One Shot.

Bob, i thought that distinction went to the .460 Weatherby Mag? The only rifle that can break your shoulder, knock out molars, and part your eyebrow in One Shot.
@HankBuck
The 460 has more recoil but the 378 comes back a lot faster. You can keep both of them. Dang even with my big boy pants on i find them unpleasant to shoot.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.