New to me Win 70 super express .458

Bellhp

Reaction score
Hello all , My first post here and I've already got questions .
Just purchased a mod 70 Super Express made 1989 in New Haven.
Chambered in .458 Win mag.
The rifle is missing it's grip cap and I am trying to find a replacement , Can someone tell me what the original looks like ? is it blued steel , plastic or other material ? I am including a picture of the grip ... there is one hole in the center and one offset . Sorry about pic quality ... I am at sea right now and this is my only picture of the grip .
Thanks in advance for any information ya'll may have .
grip.jpg

I appreciate the response ... I have found that particular grip cap ( I think) at midwest gun works ... screenshot below ... The only metal versions I have found are reproductions and are matte finished .
I do not know if previous owner had a custom grip cap or just lost his somehow .
I will order that one today , but not stoked on the idea of plastic on this rifle (no offense Idmay375) would be interested in a custom cap with engraving or scrimshaw if someone has any recommendations on a source of those ... my interwebs searches are coming up short .

image_2024-03-27_080328410.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, no offense taken. It is, as issued.
If I were to replace it, I think I would go with a color case hardened. But, the factory issue is serviceable for me.

I ordered the plastic one today ... still curious as to whether my rifle came with a plastic one or not ...might explain why it's missing. Previous owner was avid Buff hunter and this sucker kicks like a mule .
I have another mod 70 XTR in .243 win from the 70's I got new when i was a wee lad and it has an altogether different style of grip cap... black and white plastic.

I haven't tried this exact rifle, but I have shot an M70 Safari Express in 458 WM and it ranks among the top three "least comfortable" guns I've ever fired!

I suggest adding weight and maybe some stock extensions. Hard to say what made that gun so awful to shoot... But I would rather shoot through an entire box of 458 lott in a CZ 550 rather than a single shot from that M70 again!

Yeah Matt , The day I bought it I couldn't wait to shoot it... 3 rds with just a t-shirt on was not the best idea. I've let a few friends shoot it and curiously they all hand it back to me after a few rounds. I love it though ... When vegetarians ask me what I feel when I shoot an animal I can honestly answer "Recoil".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcokers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)