New to me Win 70 super express .458

Bellhp

Reaction score
Hello all , My first post here and I've already got questions .
Just purchased a mod 70 Super Express made 1989 in New Haven.
Chambered in .458 Win mag.
The rifle is missing it's grip cap and I am trying to find a replacement , Can someone tell me what the original looks like ? is it blued steel , plastic or other material ? I am including a picture of the grip ... there is one hole in the center and one offset . Sorry about pic quality ... I am at sea right now and this is my only picture of the grip .
Thanks in advance for any information ya'll may have .
grip.jpg

I appreciate the response ... I have found that particular grip cap ( I think) at midwest gun works ... screenshot below ... The only metal versions I have found are reproductions and are matte finished .
I do not know if previous owner had a custom grip cap or just lost his somehow .
I will order that one today , but not stoked on the idea of plastic on this rifle (no offense Idmay375) would be interested in a custom cap with engraving or scrimshaw if someone has any recommendations on a source of those ... my interwebs searches are coming up short .

image_2024-03-27_080328410.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, no offense taken. It is, as issued.
If I were to replace it, I think I would go with a color case hardened. But, the factory issue is serviceable for me.

I ordered the plastic one today ... still curious as to whether my rifle came with a plastic one or not ...might explain why it's missing. Previous owner was avid Buff hunter and this sucker kicks like a mule .
I have another mod 70 XTR in .243 win from the 70's I got new when i was a wee lad and it has an altogether different style of grip cap... black and white plastic.

I haven't tried this exact rifle, but I have shot an M70 Safari Express in 458 WM and it ranks among the top three "least comfortable" guns I've ever fired!

I suggest adding weight and maybe some stock extensions. Hard to say what made that gun so awful to shoot... But I would rather shoot through an entire box of 458 lott in a CZ 550 rather than a single shot from that M70 again!

Yeah Matt , The day I bought it I couldn't wait to shoot it... 3 rds with just a t-shirt on was not the best idea. I've let a few friends shoot it and curiously they all hand it back to me after a few rounds. I love it though ... When vegetarians ask me what I feel when I shoot an animal I can honestly answer "Recoil".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmellaSe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg