Welcome aboard Capebuffalo, by now you've probably figured out that AH is the friendliest site for all hunters, shooters and gun lovers. Do you have any plans for going back home for a hunt? What kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload?
Yes, seems a very friendly bunch of people...What about you...have you been to SA a few times? What calibers do you prefer? Do you reload? Do you plan to go back to SA in the near future?

Capebuffalo, yes I have been to Africa a couple of times. I prefer calibers commensurate to the size of the game being hunted. I hunt deer sized game with 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mausers, my largest animal (a big Eland) was taken with a 404 Jeffery. For medium sized animals I like a 35 Whelen. I handload for these and a bunch more. I'll be 79 in August and have problems with mobility. For now I don't have any plans for another African hunt. Now it is your turn to answer my questions. LOL Its not that we're nosy, your answers just lets us know "where you are coming from."

No problem, Shootist! I will answer all your questions....and am more than willing to share the little I know in regards to hunting. However, you are such an experienced hunter, I don't think I will be able to add anything to what you already know. Such a great blessing to be your age and still be interested in the things that matter in life! I grew up with the slower non-magnum calibers....and will maybe go there in a few years' time...but at this point, I enjoy the faster calibers...However, I think I will end up one day with a 35 Whelen to pair with my 7mm-08...and maybe add a 404 Jefferey to it..I understand the value of calibers such as the 7x57, 9.3x62, 35 Whelen, and the 404 Jeff....I am just concerned that in some areas here in the west I will have to skip some shots if I don't have a 7mm RM or a 338 WM....but time will tell as I gain more experience here in North America.

Capebuffalo, the distances at which you take your shots are one "key" to caliber selection. For instance, I have both of the fast calibers you mentioned but have never taken them hunting.

Capebuffalo, the distances at which you take your shots are one "key" to caliber selection. For instance, I have both of the fast calibers you mentioned but have never taken them hunting.
As you know by now, I grew up in the northern parts of Limpopo in South Africa, and I remember as a young boy on a ranch those days, all our hunting was done to put meat on the table for ourselves and all the workers....and that was a never-ending thing, so every day was a good day for hunting! Therefore, I could say, before the age of 14, I shot more animals than ever after that...mostly warthog and impala. Since the main reason was to hunt for meat, it was extremely important to use a caliber that could minimize the meat damage as much as we could. For that reason then, the faster calibers were not popular. Most ranchers in those days used 7x57 and 9.3x62's or 303, 308, and later the 30.06's with heavy for caliber bullets to slow down the projectile. This was because of the distance we shot the animals...as you said very important...I remember many"city slickers" who visited us those days on the ranch with their magnums, for hunting...wounded many animals when shooting those fast calibers on animals on short distance...and when found, a quarter of the animal couldn't be used. To this very day, you will find a kind of antagonism from the older pioneers in that area if they hear you hunt with a magnum caliber....or if they hear the word "Weatherby".... That is due to the reason I just explained. I think it is no different in the brush areas in the east of the US.... Ironic that other areas in SA such as the Free State and the Kalahari it is different because of the longer shots a hunter needs to make. So, yes, you are absolutely correct, Shootist, the distance you shoot is an important factor to consider when choosing a rifle. You remind me of one thing again....I will have to build up my rifle arsenal with slower calibers if I want to go hunting again where I grew up! :D

I should maybe reconsider my 358 Norma Magnum project.......and start looking into a 35 Whelen project!:unsure:

Thank you, Justhunt! I guess the rain is pouring down in Montana...?
Yes, luckily the rain has let up today. Red Lodge and Gardiner down by Yellowstone are about washed away. Preparing for flooding in the Flathead now. Guess they got about a foot of new snow on the mountains over there Monday night. Supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow. Rain on all that snow pack is going to be bad.
Really like your choice of calibers. Hard to beat heavy for caliber bigger and slower bullets. Great for general bushveld type hunting. Had good luck with 338 WM and 9.3x62 in Africa. I agree too that out west here its nice to have some flat shooting calibers.
Envious of all the hunting you where able to do as a youngster.

Yes, luckily the rain has let up today. Red Lodge and Gardiner down by Yellowstone are about washed away. Preparing for flooding in the Flathead now. Guess they got about a foot of new snow on the mountains over there Monday night. Supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow. Rain on all that snow pack is going to be bad.
Really like your choice of calibers. Hard to beat heavy for caliber bigger and slower bullets. Great for general bushveld type hunting. Had good luck with 338 WM and 9.3x62 in Africa. I agree too that out west here its nice to have some flat shooting calibers.
Envious of all the hunting you where able to do as a youngster.
Good to hear from you, Justhunt! Wow...looks devastating in some areas along the Yellowstone! All the best to you guy's for the cleanup afterward... this kind of event keeps us on our knees. Yes, the 9.3x62 is a great caliber for bushveld hunting, whereas the 338WM is great for flatter, more open areas, as well as the Kalahari and Namibia. However, here out west, the 338 WM is king. I realize now even more how privileged I was to grow up right next to the Kruger National Park.

Capebuffalo, Bob Nelson and I have been touting the attributes of a properly loaded 35 Whelen for years. I have been using IMR 4064 powder while he has been using CFE223. I like the 225 Gr. Barnes TSX. Even though there is no "magnum" in the caliber designation, out to 400 yds. it doesn't leave much if anything on the table. If you don't reload check out "Buffalo Barnes" bullets and or loads for the 35 Whelen and let me know what you think. If you don't like those ballistics, check out Hornady's 200 Gr. Superformance at 2900 FPS.

Capebuffalo, Bob Nelson and I have been touting the attributes of a properly loaded 35 Whelen for years. I have been using IMR 4064 powder while he has been using CFE223. I like the 225 Gr. Barnes TSX. Even though there is no "magnum" in the caliber designation, out to 400 yds. it doesn't leave much if anything on the table. If you don't reload check out "Buffalo Barnes" bullets and or loads for the 35 Whelen and let me know what you think. If you don't like those ballistics, check out Hornady's 200 Gr. Superformance at 2900 FPS.
Shootist43, I appreciate your information. It is the first time I look into Buffalo Barnes ammo, I am quite surprised, ballistics looks good! I knew about the Hornady 200 grain Superformance..quite a cartridge! I always liked the 35 Whelen, as long as one realizes its limitations, but it is a great cartridge in certain circumstances, especially in bushveld vegetation I think, pretty much the same characteristics as the 9.3x62. I think the Whelen will pair well with my 338 WM, one for the more open areas and one for the more wooded areas. However, the 338 WM is excellent in wooded areas too if loaded with a 275 grainer! But....I am not there yet....the 358 Norma Magnum bug doesn't want to let loose....this cartridge has NO weak areas, and no push is necessary to let it perform....I think therefore they call it the "Cool Sweed". Maybe I should satisfy the bug...and assess the path forward then afterward... :LOL: I will keep you posted!

Capebuffalo, I'm a devotee of a guy named Nathan Foster. He is a long range hunter that lives in New Zealand. In addition to his hunting skills he is an extremely knowledgeable gun writer. Attached is a link to his Knowledge Base treatise of the 358 Norma Mag. Be sure to check it out. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.358+Norma+Magnum.html
I own a 308 Norma Mag but not a 358.

Capebuffalo, I'm a devotee of a guy named Nathan Foster. He is a long range hunter that lives in New Zealand. In addition to his hunting skills he is an extremely knowledgeable gun writer. Attached is a link to his Knowledge Base treatise of the 358 Norma Mag. Be sure to check it out. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.358+Norma+Magnum.html
I own a 308 Norma Mag but not a 358.
Shootist43, I read Nathan's article a while ago, and studied it over and over again...as well as the articles about other calibers, the guy knows his stuff....and I became even more interested in the 358 NM after I read what he said. I can not believe that this cartridge is not more popular...although it had its challenges at the beginning because not accepted by SAAMI, everybody who has it will never let it go again. This is the kind of rifle you just have confidence in when you bring it to your shoulder. I only shot with somebody else's rifle at targets...and read everything I could about this rifle...and I am astonished! This is a light heavyweight I will not hesitate to use on dangerous game, where allowed. With ease, it goes over the 5,400 J mark that some countries require for dangerous game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double