New member from Central Midwest

Niki.NE

Reaction score
Hello, my husband and I just booked our first trip to South Africa and are super excited (the waiting 11 more months will be excruciating). We both plan to use our compound bows and firearms for the range of animals we have on our "wish lists." Any guidance or recommendations on poundage, arrows, broad heads, etc. is greatly appreciated!

:S Welcome:

What outfitter are you hunting with?

Welcome!

More info on targeted game animals will get you better info. For plainsgame, a 30-06 (or similar) with Barnes TTSX or Swift A-Frames is a great all around choice. I’m taking a 375 H&H and either a 300 PRC or 6.5 PRC (only legal for smaller plains game in Namibia) because why not!

I’m not a bow hunter, so I’ll leave that to other informed hunters :)

There is some good information here on what is legal for bows and firearms for various class of game in Namibia. It does not cover South Africa, but would still be a good starting point.

Most of their recommendations are consistent with other African countries as far as I know.

africabowhunter.gif

Minimum Equipment Requirements for Bow hunting in South Africa
- Big Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 80 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 700 grain
(Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, Buffalo)
- Medium Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 70 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 550 grain
(Kudu, Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
- Small Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 40 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 400 grain
(Warthog, Nyala, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Backed Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)

africahunter.gif

Minimum Equipment Requirements for Rifle Hunting in South Africa
- Most provinces do not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting and rely on common sense.
- Some provinces require a minimum of .375 caliber for dangerous or big game hunting.
- No provinces require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

From this website at:

Welcome!

More info on targeted game animals will get you better info. For plainsgame, a 30-06 (or similar) with Barnes TTSX or Swift A-Frames is a great all around choice. I’m taking a 375 H&H and either a 300 PRC or 6.5 PRC (only legal for smaller plains game in Namibia) because why not!

I’m not a bow hunter, so I’ll leave that to other informed hunters :)
I have a 375 H&H for work & it is similar to the outfitters so I am comfortable with that platform and we'll have a 300 win also. But as far as the bow hunting for the animals over there we are both hearing mixed reviews. Sounds like you are prepared for your hunt! Enjoy!

africabowhunter.gif

Minimum Equipment Requirements for Bow hunting in South Africa
- Big Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 80 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 700 grain
(Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, Buffalo)
- Medium Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 70 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 550 grain
(Kudu, Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
- Small Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 40 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 400 grain
(Warthog, Nyala, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Backed Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)

africahunter.gif

Minimum Equipment Requirements for Rifle Hunting in South Africa
- Most provinces do not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting and rely on common sense.
- Some provinces require a minimum of .375 caliber for dangerous or big game hunting.
- No provinces require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

From this website at:
This is perfect! Thank you.

Welcome to AH

:S Welcome: to AH!

Hello and welcome!

welcome, what part of "midwest " do you reign from.

I think the minimum requirements above are a pretty good place to start. My arrow weights are around 550 grains, and I shoot 70 lb draw. I didn't shoot an eland or anything bigger with a bow, but I had zero problems with waterbuck, kudu, oryx, zebra and the smaller plains game species. Anything that will work good for elk will work well on plains game (Like I said, no experience with eland)

You'll get mixed reviews on using expandable broadheads, and that might be a better question for your outfitter. Some like expandables, some hate them. Last trip over I used G5 Deadmeat expandable heads and had really good luck with them. Used them to take an oryx, waterbuck, zebra, and a blue wildebeest.

My first trip over I used fixed blade heads with zero issues. I prefer a cut on contact solid piece head.

Welcome to the addiction.

Good day! Welcome!!

Welcome aboard! I cant wait to read the hunt report from your upcoming Safari, the 11 mo's will fly by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.