Need some help with making the right choice

Jim,

You live at elevation. You are probably also in better shape than me. A 6.5% difference in weight does make a difference to an old fat boy like me. Especially when I go to elevation for a week or so.;)

All the best.

I resemble that remark, at least that old fat boy part.

What I am meaning on the weight issue is just that even a extra pound shouldn't matter that much.
When you purchase hiking or hunting boots do you find the ones that weigh less than all the others so that you can shave off a few pounds there? How about your clothing? Do you only purchase the lightest weight gear that you can find.

Now if you are talking about a sheep or goat rifle I can see where you are going to need to shave all the weight that you can, even down to only taking the exact amount of prescription drugs that you need to take for the hike up the hill.

I have a 10 ga shotgun, a Ithica Mag 10 that weighs in at 11 1/2 lbs with no shells in it, now throw 3 shells into it and a few more into your pockets and you have a big boat anchor. But I always take that shotgun turkey hunting every year. Why? It gets the job done on those birds that just refuse to come into the decoys.

As much as I'd like to get a left handed M70 the weight keeps me from it.

I will probably end up with a browning xbolt or a Tikka. Leaning towards the browning.

My gunsmith (a master gunsmith) advised me to forget about Browning unless it is an old one. The Brownings, Remingtons, Winchesters and Rugers may or may not be a shooter but a Tikka, Sako or butt ugly Savage always will. Tikka is now the same price as a Savage in Canada and the bolts are really slick.

Guys thanks for all the info.
I have the 7mm Rem Mag in mind but now the 300WM does sound better, maybe better than the WSM.

I hunted extensively with the 7mm and tried to love it, but always gravitated back to the 30-06. If you handload, you will appreciate the 30-06 more; its super cheap to load for, has more options than any other caliber, less recoil, and can match 7mm ballistics if that is what you really want.

Being from the American west, I got sucked into the logic that "I need a flat shooting cartridge". What I failed to realize is that I already had one in the 30-06; the difference in drop with the bullet weights I like is negligible at the distances I hunt. The 7mm was a solution looking for a problem that didn't exist.

I got rid of my 300 mag and 338, which I convinced myself was necessary for the bigger game. When I started loading 235gr and 250gr loads for my 375H&H, the need for a 300 mag and 338 disappeared.

The new copper bullets like the TTSX really brought new life to the old 30-06 and 375, and made already versatile cartridges even more so.

So for big game, I use a 6.5 for small stuff, a 30-06 for medium stuff, and .375 for everything else. But if you only have a choice between 7mm and 300 mag, I would take the 300 because it is more versatile.

300WM for me.

The poor old 308 never gets much of a mention these days but it is still a great all round calibre .
I fell in love with mine in Africa and will take it again next time .
It is light , is suppressed , so is quiet with bugger all recoil .
It killed everything it was pointed at and never complained once .
Mine was made for me but if i built one again i woulld buy an out of the box Tikka and modiffy it a bit .
I still own a Tikka I bought almost 40 years ago in 222 rem and it is still a great gun .
Cheers Dory .

The poor old 308 never gets much of a mention these days but it is still a great all round calibre
I agree, the 308 is a great hunting caliber for sure. But for someone who loads their own, the 30-06 has distinct advantages. Sure, you have the versatility to load up the heavier bullets, this has been the main advantage of the 30-06 for decades. BUT, the increased case capacity of the 30-06 is also a HUGE advantage when loading the modern copper bullets, which are very long and need to be seated pretty deep into the case. I can make the 168gr TTSX go over 200fps faster in 30-06 versus 308. To me, that is substantial. But, with factory ammo, the difference is usually very minimal.

I also don't really get the weight argument; I much prefer a rifle in the 10 pound range. A heavier rifle shoots like a dream, is easy to steady for the shot, eats recoil, lets you watch your bullets hit, and balances very well. I have carried a 12# rifle for days in the field and really never found a reason to complain, my daughter carries a 10# rifle. I also prefer a heavier barrel, a stout stock, and rugged optic over flimsy scopes, and pencil-thin barrels. I have a buddy with a 7-lb 300 mag and that rifle jumps about 2 feet off the shooting sticks when he takes a shot! Most folks do spot and stalks from vehicles while hunting, but act like they are too out of shape to chase an animal for 1/2 hour with a 10# rifle? Maybe I am wrong and need to watch more, but I have never seen a plains game hunt where a 12# rifle would be a burden to carry. IMHO, most people would be better off with a rifle in the 9-10 pound range than one that is too light.

At first I had the 308 and 30-06 in mind and both are on the same level in my opinion, but what would the use be to get either of those and think I have upgraded from the 7x57 Mauser? I have trusted my Mauser on the most unimaginable species and it worked well.

What I am looking for is a heavier bullet and further range. Maybe some of you would have something in mind.

At first I had the 308 and 30-06 in mind and both are on the same level in my opinion, but what would the use be to get either of those and think I have upgraded from the 7x57 Mauser? I have trusted my Mauser on the most unimaginable species and it worked well.

What I am looking for is a heavier bullet and further range. Maybe some of you would have something in mind.

Factory ammo and reloading components are 100 times easier to get for the 30-06 vs the 7x57 mauser. So, the 30-06 has the definite advantage in ammo availability and ease of loading.

As far as terminal performance, the 7mm and the 30-06 are the same with light bullets, but the 30-06 shines with the heavier loads. For increased range, the 30-06 is also ballistically superior to the 7x57. So if your stated goal is to send heavier bullets further, the 30-06 is definitely better.

But the 7x57 definitely wins the cool factor. I Just love the classics, and for me, that is justification enough to use it. You can even restamp it ".275 RIGBY", lol.

The 338 WM is also nice we killed a lot with it last time I was in Zim Including a kudu bull I shot at 386 meters and a zebra that it dropped in the dirt. there is something to be said for a 250 grain bullet. It also shoots pretty flat.

I own a kimber 84m in 308 win this gun is great and works wonderfully with cheap bullets on hogs and whitetails here at home. I have not taken it to africa, but i have killed whitetail at distances close to 500 meters with it in our pasture.

My newest gun is a 30-06 Springfield this is in a drilling and not a bolt gun, but it is proving to be very versatile and useful along the same lines as the 308, but a little flatter shooting, with heavier bullets available in factory loadings.

The 300 win mag is also a good caliber flat shooting and popular for good reason it works.

Also for out of the box accuracy and function I like Kimber Rifles. I own 5 of them now and i haven't had to replace parts on any of them. A little more expensive them a m70, but essentially its the same gun with upgraded parts in every area.

Last edited:
I've heard it said and/or read that the WSM's with their shorter/fatter cartridges sometimes have feeding issues. Internet lore? Perhaps. If in fact true, it may have more to do with the rifle than the cartridge design.

Beyond that, as much as I love my 7mm, the .300's offer a bit more versatility in bullet selection. But a 160gr A-Frame, North Fork or any of the other high weight retaining mono-metals would work quite well on anything not DG I'd think.

Okay, My 2¢...

I believe the feeding issue with the WSM's is partially due to the geometry of the case; short, fat and therefore, the neck length/shoulder angles. But more blame goes to the rebated rim. A reason I do not shoot WSM's.

My preference is somewhat of a newcomer to the market that also has the distinction of being nearly extinct. Thank you, Ruger... Its the .338 & .300 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM). The .300 RCM is Steve Hornady's favorite cartridge, so ammo and brass will continue to be available.

They RCM's are based on a shortened version of the .375 Ruger. When viewed side by side with a .308 Win., they look almost identical in cartridge geometry. Only when you look at the base do you see the difference; a .532 base vs the .470 of a .308 Win. (both with NO rebated rim!)

I took the .338 RCM, made a few modifications and now have the .338 Kudu; see avatar. Being more of a 7mm fan than .30 caliber, I took the .300 RCM brass and necked it down to 7mm (.284) and now have a wildcat; .284 Oryx. I have not used the .284 Oryx in the field yet, but have taken a 6x6 Elk and my African plains game with the .338; Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok and Kudu bull.

I understand there are those that would not want to go through the process I have to get a wildcat cartridge to their spec's. Even if you decided to shoot the RCM's, Ruger is the only manufacturer that offers a rifle in either of the RCM cartridges and there is just on model offered. My choice of hunting rifles, Steyr Mannlicher, no longer offers these cartridges, but some rifles can be found. I found one in 7mm WSM and had it re-chambered for my .284 Oryx.

So my suggestion, instead of a .300 WSM or 7mm Rem. Mag., consider either a 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM. Your gunsmith can probably help to correct any feeding issues...

Thanks for all the info guys, it was of great value.

I have decided on a 300wm Bergara B14.
I will fit a Vortex 4-12 x 40 scope to it.

Blessings to all

I would also vote for .300, and I agree with a few others on here to just get a .300 Win mag not a WSM. A .300 is a gun you can shoot most anything in the world with (up to a moose) and find ammo most places as well

I have a Browning BLR takedown in .300 WSM - I enjoy it greatly. Very versatile rifle and ammo is easily available. Never been a 7mm fan, My .30/06's can do mostly what a 7mm can. BTW - It appears that 7mm WSM's are sliding into obscurity.

I have a Browning BLR takedown in .300 WSM - I enjoy it greatly. Very versatile rifle and ammo is easily available. Never been a 7mm fan, My .30/06's can do mostly what a 7mm can. BTW - It appears that 7mm WSM's are sliding into obscurity.

Joester,

Many, many people have .300 WSM and therefore, I think it will be around a long time. .30-06? Well, since rifles shooting that cartridge have been around for over 100 years, ammo manufacturers are concerned and have reduced the loads in an attempt to avoid any liability issues from too high of pressures in old rifles.

If one uses a 30-06, they should hand-load. That said, I can match the reasonable performance (400-500 meters) of a 30-06 with a .308 even with hand-loaded ammo... My friends and I have done it.

The 7mm WSM sliding into obscurity? I would say it already has and is sliding into extinction... :LOL: Just like the .325 WSM, all WSSM's, the SAUM's and unfortunately, the RCM's. I spoke with a number of ammo manufacturers at the SHOT Show last year and was told many times they are trying to "cull the herd". They just can't continue to supply all the cartridges being introduced to the market and offer sufficient amounts of the "common" rounds. They are choosing to narrow the offerings based on the highest demand.

In another forum, I introduced this article; http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/cartridges-we-can-live-without/ and it created quite a stir. Perhaps I should start another thread with it. Brickburn would love it as he is not averse to stirring it up. :A Stirring:

I have hunted with a 300 WSM, and it worked well on pronghorn. There are rumors of feeding issues, but the Kimber I was using feeds fine, though maybe not quite as smoothly as some others. It's my opinion that the 300 WSM does well with 180g and lighter bullets, but you start running into case capacity issues with 200 grainers and up. I really like a 200 grain bullet in .30 caliber. It gets you a sectional density of .301, and most of the bullets have a really good ballistic coefficient.

If you want a heavier bullet and further range, my suggestion would be one of the larger cased .300 magnums loaded with a 200 grain bullet. The .300 win mag will do the job and is most common, but the .300 weatherby and .300 RUM would be even better. 3000 fps muzzle velocity with a 200 grainer is not very challenging at all with either of those cartridges, which will get you ~ 300 yard point blank range (3" target radius) with all of the common 200 grain .308 cal bullets. My go-to rifle is my .300 weatherby loaded with 200 grain bullets. My current load chronographs around 3100fps.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed where you had already decided on the .300 WM. Excellent choice. I think it will serve your needs well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraW86

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross