Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF
Hunted
United States, Namibia
My report starts in January when my wife and I traveled to Dallas, TX for the DSC convention and trade show. While I was expecting a big show, the shear numbers of outdoorsmen and women and the vendors gathered to support them was almost overwhelming. We went to DSC to find and book a hunting safari in Africa for plains game and boy did we find the right place to do it.
I had an idea that I wanted, but was not fully committed to, a Namibian hunt due to the hunter friendly atmosphere combined with huge properties, which even when high-fenced didn't feel like you were chasing cows around a pasture. After arriving on Thursday, we spent all day Friday wandering the aisles talking to outfitters from Namibia, several from South Africa and a few others. I think we talked to every Namibian outfit there and came away with a bag full of literature.
Susan, my wife, is not a hunter, or even a camper, and was hesitant about going on safari to Africa, as she was picturing two weeks of living in a tent without showers, running water or hot food. However she does love photography and after visits with a number of obviously reputable outfits she started to warm up to the idea a bit.
We went back to our room after exhausting ourselves and pored over the material we had collected during the day. We narrowed the contenders down to a dozen or so, then grabbed a Lyft to Gilley's to meet a few of the characters on this forum. I honestly don't remember who all we talked to but had many interesting and informative conversations. Also the bourbon may have clouded my memory.
Saturday, we revisited our shorter list of candidates and also talked to a number of taxidermists, freight receiving agents, travel agents, etc, as well as attending a number of the educational presentations, focusing on learning as much as possible about a first trip to Africa. We further reduced our list to a top three, then visited those three again. That night we made a soft decision on Makadi Safaris, owned by Diethelm and Katja Metzger and located about and hour and a half drive Northwest of Windhoek, Namibia. I managed to get hold of a couple of references for the Metzger's and heard nothing but good things.
One of the deciding factors for us was that the Metzgers also run a large cattle ranch, called Kamad Simbra on much of their hunting ground and raise Simbra cattle, a synthetic breed of cattle that combines Simmental and Brahman. The Metzgers raise and sell bulls and are the largest Simbra breeder in Southern Africa. Since Susan and I raise Simmental seedstock in the U.S. we already had a number of things in common and they seemed like a natural fit for us.
On Sunday we went back to the show, booked a 10 day plains game hunt with Makadi, and visited our other two finalists, letting them know our decision so they could open up the dates we had been considering and keeping the lines of communication open in case of a second trip across the Atlantic in the future. We also talked to the folks at Global Rescue and to Jennifer at Travel Express so she could start putting our flights together.
Then we headed back to Colorado to start planning and turning a lifelong dream to reality.
Part of that prep was a new rifle. As I have gotten older, I'm tired of toting around a nine pound rifle. As a result, and after talking to a number of vendors at DSC, when I got home I ordered a Savage 110 Ultralight in .308 Winchester. This is the rifle with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel, synthetic Accu-Stock and the Accu-trigger. While in Dallas I had already ordered a Leupold VX-5 2-10X scope, with the firedot reticle. My choice of .308 was driven by several factors. First, recoil. With an empty weight of less than 6 pounds, I knew I didn't want a big magnum. Second, availability of ammunition. While I do some reloading, I knew I would not have time between January and August to work up a confidence inspiring handload, and while many calibers of ammunition were in short supply, most vendors seemed to still have a good supply of numerous types of .308 fodder.
After finally receiving the rifle in February and the scope in March, I got my hands on five different premium loads for the .308 with bullets ranging from 168 to 175 grains. After a few trips to the range, the Federal Terminal Ascent with 175 grain bullets rose to the top for accuracy and all the reports I had read about the bullet were confidence inspring. I knew I needed a top-notch bullet from a .308 to make clean kills on some of the bigger animals I was interested in, like oryx, kudu and eland.
I'll stop for now and be back later with our initial travel and first day at Makadi.

The attached pic is of Susan and I on the ouside, flanking the Metzgers.
AH post #1.JPG

Last edited:
We left home on Tuesday afternoon, August 2 to drive to Denver for our flight the next morning. Jennifer had booked us on Delta and we had chosen the Comfort Plus option, which provides a few extra inches of leg room in otherwise economy class seats. We had a slight hiccup when arriving at our Denver hotel. I had booked through a third-pary website a park-sleep-fly package so we could leave our car at the hotel during our trip. Apparently the third party never notified the hotel, although we had a confirmation number from the booking party. The hotel manager got involved and said, Oh, it's International Holidays, this happens all the time and he made everyting right for us. This was at the Tru by Hilton airport hotel in Denver. After a quick trip to Bass Pro shops for a couple last minute items we ate dinner and had a good nights sleep.
Next morning the hotel shuttle dropped us off at the Delta check-in counters and I braced myself for an ordeal because we were traveling with a rifle. To my pleasant surprise, when I stepped up to the counter and told the agent I was traveling with a firearm, she basically said, no problem, we'll check your other bags and send you to security for firearm screening. A few minutes later, TSA agents X-rayed my rifle case and then a Delta employee took it right back to the Delta counter for baggage handling.
The initial flight was Denver to Atlanta was uneventful. Our flight from Atlanta was about an hour late in departure but no other problems. I had been dreading 16 hours on an airplane between Atlanta and Johannesburg, and was hoping to sleep through most of it, but the combination of excitement, airplane seats and other passenger's activity meant I only dozed occasionally, though Susan got some shuteye. I mostly watched movies on the seatback screen and although I was glad to land in South Africa, I was not the growley, grumpy mess I expected to be.
On arriving in Joburg, we were met by Gilbert from Africa Sky guest house, which Jennifer had also set up. Africa Sky handled my firearms paperwork through Joburg, whcih was simple and easy and then Gilbert gave us a ride to the guest house where we had a good meal and good bed. Next morning, Friday, Gilbert gave us a ride back to the airport for our Airlink flight to Windhoek. I swear Gilbert knew every pretty girl in the airport and they all gave him a hug and a kiss. We once again waltzed through the firearms check and headed to Namibia.
Diethelm met us at the airport, collected our baggage and rifle, once again a low hassle experience, and took off for the ranch. There we met our PH, Berni Gruhn and headed to the range to check the rifle. I have always suspected when I read articles and hunting reports that this range trip was as much for the PH to evaluate your shooting ability as to check the rifle sights and later in the hunt, Berni confirmed this. But everything went in the direction I pointed the rifle and Berni, Susan and I took off on a short game drive. Our hunt didn't officially start until the next morning but I had my rifle ready just in case.
On that short drive we saw Springbok, Kudu, Warthog, Red Hartebeest, Baboon, Impala, Steenbok, Ostrich and Kori Bustard. Back at the lodge we cozied up to the outdoor fire pit with an adult beverage and had a good visit with a hunter from Louisiana who was leaving the next morning. He and his nephew had both taken Leopard as well as plains game and dinner was late as the nephew took a Red Hartebeest near dark on the last day and they had to pack it out of some rough country. Dinner was Hartebeest steaks, lamb chops and side dishes and was delicious. We made plans for a 7 am breakfast before setting off to hunt.

Below is a community weaver nest, one of the many interesting nongame things we saw.

1661574580343.jpeg

Great start. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

My report starts in January when my wife and I traveled to Dallas, TX for the DSC convention and trade show. While I was expecting a big show, the shear numbers of outdoorsmen and women and the vendors gathered to support them was almost overwhelming. We went to DSC to find and book a hunting safari in Africa for plains game and boy did we find the right place to do it.
I had an idea that I wanted, but was not fully committed to, a Namibian hunt due to the hunter friendly atmosphere combined with huge properties, which even when high-fenced didn't feel like you were chasing cows around a pasture. After arriving on Thursday, we spent all day Friday wandering the aisles talking to outfitters from Namibia, several from South Africa and a few others. I think we talked to every Namibian outfit there and came away with a bag full of literature.
Susan, my wife, is not a hunter, or even a camper, and was hesitant about going on safari to Africa, as she was picturing two weeks of living in a tent without showers, running water or hot food. However she does love photography and after visits with a number of obviously reputable outfits she started to warm up to the idea a bit.
We went back to our room after exhausting ourselves and pored over the material we had collected during the day. We narrowed the contenders down to a dozen or so, then grabbed a Lyft to Gilley's to meet a few of the characters on this forum. I honestly don't remember who all we talked to but had many interesting and informative conversations. Also the bourbon may have clouded my memory.
Saturday, we revisited our shorter list of candidates and also talked to a number of taxidermists, freight receiving agents, travel agents, etc, as well as attending a number of the educational presentations, focusing on learning as much as possible about a first trip to Africa. We further reduced our list to a top three, then visited those three again. That night we made a soft decision on Makadi Safaris, owned by Diethelm and Katja Metzger and located about and hour and a half drive Northwest of Windhoek, Namibia. I managed to get hold of a couple of references for the Metzger's and heard nothing but good things.
One of the deciding factors for us was that the Metzgers also run a large cattle ranch, called Kamad Simbra on much of their hunting ground and raise Simbra cattle, a synthetic breed of cattle that combines Simmental and Brahman. The Metzgers raise and sell bulls and are the largest Simbra breeder in Southern Africa. Since Susan and I raise Simmental seedstock in the U.S. we already had a number of things in common and they seemed like a natural fit for us.
On Sunday we went back to the show, booked a 10 day plains game hunt with Makadi, and visited our other two finalists, letting them know our decision so they could open up the dates we had been considering and keeping the lines of communication open in case of a second trip across the Atlantic in the future. We also talked to the folks at Global Rescue and to Jennifer at Travel Express so she could start putting our flights together.
Then we headed back to Colorado to start planning and turning a lifelong dream to reality.
Part of that prep was a new rifle. As I have gotten older, I'm tired of toting around a nine pound rifle. As a result, and after talking to a number of vendors at DSC, when I got home I ordered a Savage 110 Ultralight in .308 Winchester. This is the rifle with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel, synthetic Accu-Stock and the Accu-trigger. While in Dallas I had already ordered a Leupold VX-5 2-10X scope, with the firedot reticle. My choice of .308 was driven by several factors. First, recoil. With an empty weight of less than 6 pounds, I knew I didn't want a big magnum. Second, availability of ammunition. While I do some reloading, I knew I would not have time between January and August to work up a confidence inspiring handload, and while many calibers of ammunition were in short supply, most vendors seemed to still have a good supply of numerous types of .308 fodder.
After finally receiving the rifle in February and the scope in March, I got my hands on five different premium loads for the .308 with bullets ranging from 168 to 175 grains. After a few trips to the range, the Federal Terminal Ascent with 175 grain bullets rose to the top for accuracy and all the reports I had read about the bullet were confidence inspring. I knew I needed a top-notch bullet from a .308 to make clean kills on some of the bigger animals I was interested in, like oryx, kudu and eland.
I'll stop for now and be back later with our initial travel and first day at Makadi.

The attached pic is of Susan and I on the ouside, flanking the Metzgers.
View attachment 485095
Great start so far. Pretty sure we spoke at the show on your choice of the 110 Ultralite.

Great beginning! Enjoying your report and attention to detail!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey, enjoying the ride

I'm enjoying the follow along!

Great start to your report. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the rest of the hunt.
Bruce

ah post #3.JPG

Saturday morning dawned clear and cool, just like every other morning we were in Namibia.

After a breakfast of eggs cooked to order, a selection of cold meats and cheese, toast, fruit salad and yogurt, we met Paulus, our driver for the hunt. He and Berni had obviously hunted together often, as there was a great deal of chatter between them in Africaans that I didn't get but there was a good rapport between them. Susan, Berni and I rode on the back of the truck and shortly after leaving the lodge, we spotted four giraffe, two cows and two big calves. As they moved away from us in their awkward but somehow still graceful lope I turned to Susan and said "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.
post #4.JPG

A short while later we spotted a group of about 15 Springbok in an open area of grass that had been hayed earlier in the year, all rams except one. We took the truck back behind some cover and gave them several minutes to settle, then Berni and I worked our way back to where we could see them from behind a low berm and through a screen of bush.
ah post #5.JPG

The wind was in our favor and we spent several minutes finding the best ram of the bunch. I had earlier tolk Berni that I wasn't looking for record book animals, but mature animals representative of the area.

We finally settled on one ram and the sticks went up. I was using 4 Stable Sticks, the type that supports both the forearm and stock of the rifle. Berni hadn't hunted with them before but as that's what I had practiced with that's what I used. The rams were about 100 yards away and we had to wait several minutes for the larger ram to get clear of the rest of the herd so I didn't get a "twofer". Finally he stepped clear and I took my first African trophy with a single shot that dropped him in his tracks.

Berni estimated him at 8 years old and his horns taped a bit over 14 inches.

ah post 6.JPG

Berni called for the truck on the radio and a few minutes later Paulus and Susan showed up. After loading, Paulus took us to a water hole where we sat and ate lunch while Paulus took the springbok back to the skinning shed.

Back later with the afternoon's activities.

View attachment 485260

Saturday morning dawned clear and cool, just like every other morning we were in Namibia.

After a breakfast of eggs cooked to order, a selection of cold meats and cheese, toast, fruit salad and yogurt, we met Paulus, our driver for the hunt. He and Berni had obviously hunted together often, as there was a great deal of chatter between them in Africaans that I didn't get but there was a good rapport between them. Susan, Berni and I rode on the back of the truck and shortly after leaving the lodge, we spotted four giraffe, two cows and two big calves. As they moved away from us in their awkward but somehow still graceful lope I turned to Susan and said "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.
View attachment 485262

A short while later we spotted a group of about 15 Springbok in an open area of grass that had been hayed earlier in the year, all rams except one. We took the truck back behind some cover and gave them several minutes to settle, then Berni and I worked our way back to where we could see them from behind a low berm and through a screen of bush.
View attachment 485264

The wind was in our favor and we spent several minutes finding the best ram of the bunch. I had earlier tolk Berni that I wasn't looking for record book animals, but mature animals representative of the area.

We finally settled on one ram and the sticks went up. I was using 4 Stable Sticks, the type that supports both the forearm and stock of the rifle. Berni hadn't hunted with them before but as that's what I had practiced with that's what I used. The rams were about 100 yards away and we had to wait several minutes for the larger ram to get clear of the rest of the herd so I didn't get a "twofer". Finally he stepped clear and I took my first African trophy with a single shot that dropped him in his tracks.

Berni estimated him at 8 years old and his horns taped a bit over 14 inches.

View attachment 485265

Berni called for the truck on the radio and a few minutes later Paulus and Susan showed up. After loading, Paulus took us to a water hole where we sat and ate lunch while Paulus took the springbok back to the skinning shed.

Back later with the afternoon's activities.
Congratulations!!!

I am following! great report, pls continue!

Really enjoying this report! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.

Saturday noon, Berni, Susan and I sat at a waterhole in a blind and had a picnic lunch, hoping for something mature to come to water while Paulus was taking the springbok to the skinning shed. We saw a number of cow kudu and small kudu bulls, as well as warthogs and mongoose, but no shooters.
ah post 7.JPG
ah post 8.JPG

After lunch, Paulus picked us up and we continued to scout for game, seeing most of the species we had seen yesterday, but adding Plains Zebra, Blue Wildebeest and Striped Jackal. Also a young Waterbuck bull and then we got eyes on a nice Oryx bull. Berni and I got off the truck and tried slipping through the bush to locate him, but he gave us the slip. As evening neared we spotted another nice Oryx bull with a couple younger ones. We circled around with the truck to get the wind right, then Berni and I once again took off to try and locate the trio. This time we saw them before they saw us and it was then a waiting game for the older bull to step out of the bush for a clear shot. Finally as the sun started to set, he stepped clear of the bush and the other two bulls at 127 yards according to Berni's Zeiss rangefinder binos. Once again, one shot anchored him in this tracks. Not an exceptionally long-horned bull but clearly older, estimated at 10 years, with his horns heavily broomed to a sharp tip.
ah post 9.JPG
ah post 10.JPG

On the way back to the lodge, with dark falling we added an African Wildcat to our species list. Dinner was Zebra Rouladen, a rolled piece of zebra stuffed with bacon, onions and pickles. Not something I would have ever ordered in a restaurant, but quite good.

I asked the skinner to try and find the bullet in the Oryx, as I was interested in whether its performance lived up to the hype.

ah post 11.jpg

After passing through both shoulders and the upper chest it was found under the hide. It weighs 151 grains, or 86% of original and expanded to more than double, at about .650

Day 2 of hunting was relatively uneventful. We went to a different part of the ranch, including some rougher country that they called mountains, though it was more like drainages dropping off the plateau we were on a few hundred feet. Saw plenty of various game animals, but nothing trophy sized that I was looking for. Added Gray Duiker, Eland, Black Wildebeest and a Genet cat to our species list, as well as a Yellow Billed Hornbill, which we found to be an interesting bird.

ah post 12.JPG

We sat at a waterhole for lunch again and saw warthogs and Oryx come to water as well as cow Kudu. The Kudu seemed reluctant to mix with cattle, but as the picture below shows, it didn't bother the Oryx.

ah post 13.JPG

Back to the lodge late again, where we had springbok filets for dinner. As good as the best beef. I was impressed with the flavor of the African wildlife we ate. In my opinion much better/milder than most of the North American game I have hunted. In any case we both enjoyed nearly all of the meat served during our time in Africa.

Nice start

I do know the Metzger family since many years. Incredible nice people, fantastic outfitters with stunning property. Makadi is a top name in Namibia.

Great report Colorado Cowman! Look forward to reading more. Congratulations on your animals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sander.kvern

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH