My Intro

Wayne Williamson

Reaction score
Media
Member of
ZPHGA, TPHA
Hunted
Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, SA, Botswana
Hello I'm a PH and guide from Zim, operating through out Africa and happy to be joining this site. I'm always open to new info and look forward to contributing where I believe I can be of help. I've been in the safari industry since 1990 and have a clean record. I believe strongly in the conservation of our wildlife and industry which is under so much pressure at the moment.

Welcome to AH.
Zimbabwe is beautiful country.
I am glad that you are with us.
Good luck and all the best from Poland.
Witold

gday wayne , welcome to AH , enjoy the site.
look foreward to hearing your thoughhhts and opinion , on many subjects

Welcome to AH.

All the best from Romania!

Welcome Wayne... from ex Rhodie now living in RSA.

Welcome!

Please share some stories and pictures!

Welcome Wayne, look forward to your input. I hope to one day hunt Zimbabwe

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH.

It appears someone else was sharing some stories about you on AH already.
(I assume this is you in this tale)

I am very much looking forward to your contributions here on AH.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/bush-encounters-of-a-close-kind.14779/

In Africa, when PHs share a camp they are ethically bound to offer assistance to each other if there is an incident of a wounded dangerous animal at large. This happens more often than is generally known and particularly so with lion and leopard, an incident report illustrating this team effort when following a wounded leopard was written up in African Hunter (Tau Issue Number 6 of 2006).

Zimbabwean PH Wayne Williamson who was hunting for Simon Rodger’s of Safaris de Mozambique offered another PH known as Yann his assistance in trying to locate a leopard wounded the previous Saturday evening by a client of PH Yann’s.

By 06:00hrs on the Sunday morning, they were on spoor and although it was difficult to follow they had managed to ascertain that the leopard had been wounded in a leg, but which leg they couldn’t determine. PHs, Williamson and Yann were carrying shotguns whilst their trackers were carrying the heavy calibre rifles. Eventually at about 15:00hrs a noisy troop of baboons alerted them to the wounded leopard’s presence.

Moving in cautiously to try and get a shot in whilst also hoping that the baboon troop was distracting the leopard, they were suddenly charged but due to the bush and grass density couldn’t see the leopard, and nor could it get to them in one fluid motion, so it ducked off into a donga where a tracker could hear it. Williamson and Yann then attempted to try and get ahead of it and cut it off, but before they could achieve this they were once more confronted with an extremely aggressive and vocal charge.

PH Wayne Williamson immediately dropped to his haunches to try and see through the dense brush and under the overhanging branches. This was just as the leopard broke out of the cover, but due to the speed at which it was moving neither PH was in a position to get a killing shot in although they both fired at the inbound streak of spotted fury hurtling towards them. It later transpired that at least one of them had hit it during the charge.

By the time Williamson had reloaded the leopard was onto him and hooking its paw around the right side of his head and jaw, threw him off balance, and then started to maul and bite his head. Prior to making contact with the leopard, Williamson had wrapped padding around his left arm and was also wearing a glove on his left hand – a not unusual practise amongst PHs when following a wounded Mr. Spots. Forcing his padded left arm into the leopard’s mouth to stop it from mauling his head, Williamson then managed to roll the leopard off of him and as soon as it was free of his body, PH Yann quickly shot it – in fact it was shot twice just to be sure.

PH Wayne Williamson didn’t get off too lightly from his encounter with the wounded leopard; his scalp had been torn loose and hung down over his eyes but he placed it back in position then applied a trauma dressing over the wound. Prior to the follow-up, Williamson had wisely keyed the closest point on the road into his GPS so whilst Yann and a tracker ran to retrieve the vehicle in order to try and drive it to the closest point on the road, Williamson slowly made his way to the same place on the road using the GPS.

The remaining tracker and government game scout then recovered the leopard and other scuffle debris, before following Williamson to the road which was about 1.5km away. The injured PH was then driven to camp where they used copious amounts of antiseptic to irrigate his wounds in order to try and prevent septicaemia setting in – the dread of any cat mauling aftermath – more antiseptic was placed on a field dressing which was in turn used as a pressure bandage to stop the bleeding.

Simon Rodger’s had meantime landed his aircraft at Kanyemba on the Zimbabwean side of the border and having listened to the radio traffic about the mauling, immediately began to organise for airports to be kept open so that he could get Williamson through to proper medical care in Bulawayo. He also managed to get Kariba Airport to remain open so that they could refuel en-route Bulawayo.

Despite Simon Rodger’s arrival by air at Kanyemba, PH Williamson’s woes were not quite over, as he still had to be taken there from the camp in Mozambique, a fifty-minute boat ride up the Zambezi River, which was done with the camp manageress in attendance to ensure the bleeding was kept under control. Rodger’s and Williamson got airborne from Kanyemba at about 17:30hrs and after re-fuelling in Kariba at last light, took off with the use of flare pots, making it into Bulawayo by 20:00hrs. Williamson’s wife was waiting with the MARS (Medical Air Rescue Ambulance), and by 20:30hrs the injured PH was in hospital where he underwent surgery to his head wounds and left hand.

No doubt there are plenty of incidents with dangerous game across Africa that aren’t even heard about and don’t get newspaper or any form of media coverage.

Welcome to AH Wayne! If the story about the leopard above is about you well......wow is all I can say.

Welcome to AH Wayne! If the story about the leopard above is about you well......wow is all I can say.

it is phil and it made him even prettier ;)

Color-619x346.jpg
Wayne-leopard-021-300x225.jpg

here is the link to the story by hannes that the photos came from. thought i had put it in my above post but :E Head Scratch:

http://africaunauthorised.com/?p=1747

Wayne Williamson; my scrap with a leopard

Ask any PH who’s wandered through those parts and he’ll doubtless tell you the wild country south of Lake Cabora Bassa in central Mozambique is not a clever place to wound a leopard. And professional hunters are not the first white men to have spilt blood there. Hundreds of years ago the Portuguese Conquistadores and their missionary counterparts struggled up the Zambezi battling the elements, wild men and wild animals all at once. Most never made it back to the motherland.

Here, on the shores of the lake, my old pal Wayne Williamson was sipping on a cold beer having just finished a safari for Safaris De Mozambique in what is known as the Bower Concession. Step-son of the late Basil Williamson; elephant expert and a legendary character in the Rhodesian, then Zimbabwean Game Department, Wayne has been in the bush all his life and done his old man proud as one of the most highly regarded PH’s out of the Zimbabwean school.

Mid-August, 2006, while Wayne was watching a spectacular sun settle behind the hills in a crimson blaze a leopard hunt was in progress involving French PH, Yann Le Bouvier from Club Faun in Paris and client. Right on the button, just as the light slipped, adrenaline pumped as the hunters heard the rustle of leaves then the rasping sound of claws scratching bark and in a flash the cat was aloft on the limb and standing side-on to them in all its studied magnificence. Yann raised his binoculars and checked to see if it was a male. Satisfied it was, he decided to waste no time and called the shot.

The client hunkered down behind his scope and drew a bead in the gathering gloom. With the PH looking on expectantly the rifle roared. Then there was a brief, frenzied flurry, the blurred form of the cat leaping out the tree, the soft thud of its feet hitting the ground, then silence and the leopard was gone.

Yann and trackers arrived speedily at the base of the tree and hopes of finding him dead nearby were soon dashed. Studying the ground, the hunting party, picked up spoor and followed until a little after dark, all the time calling for help from camp on the radio but their messages went unheard. The search revealed blood but no body. Suspecting the shot was high the PH left the scene a little forlorn, now almost certain his client had blown the shot and testing times lay ahead.

Long faces arrived back at camp. Earnest discussions followed and, bearing in mind the scarcity of hyenas in the area it was decided the body would be spared the unwanted attentions of the scavengers if the animal died so the need for a doubly-dangerous night-time follow up was dispensed with. All agreed to hit the spoor first thing in the morning with Wayne lending a hand.

“I knew it was going to be tough going,” says Williamson. “The bush is mixed woodland with combretum thorn thickets – very tough conditions for chasing wounded cats in. For some added protection I bound my left arm with a towel and pulled on a glove then grabbed my shotgun loaded up with ‘copper buckshot’ and headed out. Two of the trackers carried rifles.

“We were on spoor at first light but we were disappointed to see how little blood there was. Fortunately soft sand underfoot made for fairly easy tracking but it was bloody hot and very hard going. Making it tougher the wind was behind us so the leopard knew we were coming well in advance and could keep his distance. We found some of his lay-ups along the way but no actual sighting and at 3.30 in the afternoon we were damn tired so we took a break in the shade. I was not optimistic; the baboons, which had been making a lot of noise most of the time, had gone very quiet. With them relaxed it was a strong signal the wounded animal was lost to us.

“With not a lot of hope, we decided to give it one last go and would call it a day at 5.00 if nothing came of it. Amazingly, no sooner were we on our feet than the baboons went wild and I was then pretty certain the cat had been lying up not far from where we had stopped and had to be close. Not wanting to miss the opportunity of closing in and killing him I told Yann to run with me into the thicket in the hope we would nail him while he was distracted by the baboons screaming all around us.

“We charged in but we were slowed up by thorns tearing into us making progress very difficult. Meanwhile I kept an eye on where the terrified baboons were jumping into the trees as an indicator of where the leopard had run to when all of a sudden I saw the cat, low to the ground, streaking towards us. I stopped, trigger-finger firm and waited for him when I heard him growling angrily and realized he too was snagged up in the thicket which had brought his charge to an end and stopped him getting to us. Then, just as suddenly, he was gone. I barely caught a glimpse as he ran away from us but now knew the chips were definitely down and the pressure was on.

“A little further on, stopping to listen, my tracker Connie said he could hear him moving down a ravine below so Yann and I ran quickly to try to cut it off. Very dense in there, the two of us moved shoulder to shoulder sweeping towards him when we heard him running at us again. Not a nice feeling; I knew he was coming, but I couldn’t see him so I decided to look low and crouched under a bush to try and get a better view while Yann moved up to higher ground.

I heard him loose off a shot when all in a flash and a spotted blur the cat was on to me just as I fired and I was sent reeling backwards off the impact struggling to regain my footing and my senses. Somewhat bewildered I lost sight of it for a second and reloaded rapidly then whirled myself around frantically looking to see where he was when, with incredible speed and terrific force, he was on to me and hit me again swatting the gun from my hands. Now helpless, I stuck my arm out to keep his jaws at bay while I felt his claws sink into the back of my neck behind my right ear and I could hear the skin tearing. Up on his back legs, using my right hand, I hauled his one leg off the ground so he couldn’t rake me with both feet. With his jaws gaping and huge incisors gleaming inches away from tearing my face apart I shoved my arm right into his mouth forcing his head away from mine. Under the circumstances I was quite happy to let him chew on it and buy a little time. By this stage, blood pumping into my eyes and down my back I was effectively scalped and skin from the back of my head was hanging in my eyes. Desperate, I found enough strength to heave the cat away from me and managed to roll it off. Quick as a flash Yann thankfully seized the chance and fired knocking the leopard down, then he fired another shot that killed it.

“Blood pumping out of my head I got my vision back when I took the skin out of my eyes and was very relieved to see the leopard lying still. Yann handled himself well; if he’d shot any earlier there was a good chance he’s have hit me in the process. What was clear was the buck-shot, apart from a few pellets in the shoulder and side, had had little effect. Another lesson learned on shotguns and their effectiveness against wounded leopards.

“Blood all over the place I was pleased to note my ears and other appendages were intact and still attached to the main-frame. I then covered the wound with a trauma dressing. Knowing that losing a lot of blood there was no time to waste, I staunched the flow as best I could with the field- dressing I carried then headed off at a brisk pace on a GPS bearing that took me straight to the road while Yann went to collect the car. I left the trackers to recover the leopard. Once in the car I radioed camp and told them to get treatment and dressings ready while a message was flashed to Zimbabwe to arrange my evacuation.

“Simon Rodger, who I work for received the message, got airborne almost immediately and flew to Kanyemba on the Mozambique border having alerted the other airports to the fact there was an emergency. At camp I got my head over a bucket and soaked my wounds in a strong antiseptic then having wrapped my head in a towel jumped in a boat for the hour-long ride up the lake to Kanyemba on the border.

“It was a hell of a relief to see Simon there. From Kanyemba we flew to Kariba to re-fuel but by then it was dark so we landed on a runway illuminated with little oil-fires but Simon flew with great skill and we landed with no problem. Tanks filled we took off for Bulawayo and there was an ambulance waiting. I was in hospital by 8.30 that night and in good hands.

Attachments

• Wayne-leopard-021-300x225.jpg
    Wayne-leopard-021-300x225.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Color-619x346.jpg
    Color-619x346.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. Welcome aboard. Great group of folks here.

Welcome to Ah, Wayne !

Welcome.. AGAIN!! Awesome story on that wounded leopard follow up...a late PH friend of mine from Zambia always referred to leopards as "mobile chainsaws " .. he was also mauled by a wounded leopard. straight after the client shot it in broad daylight, while walking through the bush.. Bill said the leopard whirled around and charged immediately.. a blur of fur that CROSSED THE 80m SPACE IN SPLIT SECONDS.. all he remembers of the charge was the swirling tail behind the blur!! He got off much lighter than Wayne, here.
Good to have you with us Wayne.

Welcome to AH Wayne! Looking forward to having you share your experiences and stories with us.

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome and WOW!!!!! Looking forward to your stories, advice, and pics

Ouch and welcome to AH

Great to have you here on AH, and look forward to learning from your obviously vast experience!

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leyu6688

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani