My hammer doubles

So not a double rifle, but a double gun with hammers...

12 bore W&C Scott The Premier, 1879. First few photos taken by the auction house where i got it, last photo by me. Love the damascus barrels and engraving.
20010493_1_sm.jpeg

20010493_9_sm.jpeg

20010493_7_sm.jpeg

20211214_173739.jpg

Thank you. I don't have any safe queens. I don't even have a safe.

Luckily, the damascus barrels are in exceptional condition. They still have great thickness, no pitting, etc. I use RST shells just to ensure these old barrels are treated as gently as possible.

Luckily, the damascus barrels are in exceptional condition. They still have great thickness, no pitting, etc. I use RST shells just to ensure these old barrels are treated as gently as possible.
Nice gun!

Nice gun!
Thanks.

Unfortunately for my pocket book, I've been mentored by the late Glenn Baker of Woodcock Hill. He managed to get me addicted to fine walnut, exceptional engraving, and old guns in general. This hammer gun was my first real foray into historic firearms a few years ago, and there's no turning me back now!

My hammer double rifles are all rather old. The most intriguing is a military double rifle issued to Austrian riflemen of the Border Guards (a special light infantry unit) in the late 18th century. These rifles are OU's of incredible construction. It is a rare and remarkable piece that I have not had the courage fire.
double1.jpg

double3.jpg

I have two Jaeger double rifles from mid-19th century Germany. Ross Seyfried suggested loads which regulated beautifully. Both took whitetail in Virginia. The second is particularly exquisite.

gun4.jpg

German1.jpg

Shotguns are a different matter. Two I have use extensively. The first is a H. A Lindner 2 7/8's inch 10 bore designed for 1 1/4 ounce loads, It has taken a medium size truck load of geese and ducks in Canada and Maryland - often to the stunned surprise of fellow hunters armed with the latest semi's from Benelli, Beretta, or Browning.
gun9.jpg

The second is a modern built SxS 20 bore by Luchini. Over the last decade and a half it has taken many dozens of quail, doves and pheasants. Unlike vintage hammer guns, the Luchini is equipped with a safety, making it much easier to manage in the field. Just a special thing.
double6.jpg

And finally another that I have only used once on a clays range. It is an 1840's era Webley and Scott 12 bore in pristine condition. Balance is as perfect as any modern best gun. This one has it's original mahogany case.
double7.jpg

Wow. Some very beautiful firearms indeed!

Reactions: CJW
I've owned a couple dozen. My biggerst and my favs are here: An RB Rodda 4 and a W Locke 8. Below is a Holland 20-577 which is a fairly new acquisition. She will accompany me to Africa in a year or two.
Mattguns 053.jpg
DSC_0206.JPG
DSC_0701.JPG

I just remembered my cool old W.S Riley Cape gun 577/450 X 16ga, unusual in being a Jones under lever as most of my other Cape Guns were Top Lever Hammered or Hammerless .

I always thought this strange, back in the day most of the Hammer Double rifles were Jones under lever yet near all the Cape guns from the same era were Top Lever, these still had full power rifle barrels on one side, even 577 BPE ?

My Cape Gun 577-450 X16ga.jpg

My Cape Gun 577-450 X16ga -.jpg

My Cape Gun 577-450 X16ga -=.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.