Mozambique Niassa Reserve: What animals to consider if Buffalo is taken early?

xbr897
I hunted with Dave and Nikki at Leopard’s Valley back in 2016. Shot Rowland Ward Klipspringer,Mtn Reedbuck, Steenbuck and a really big Springbuck 13”. One of my best hunts! Dave was not my PH (Craig Done was), but I really liked his crazy stuff!!! Love Nikki. Always thought I would hunt with them again.
Anyways did some research and I’m hoping you’re hunting in Graham Sales camp (Sable Camp) near L2. I met 3 guys going in fromPemba who hunted with Graham and on the way out saw them again. They all got their buffs and had a great time. Anyways I’m hoping that’s where your going with Dave. Good luck.

I'm shocked that any outfitter would recommend June in Niassa--aside from perhaps leopard or lion hunting. I guess I'm unaware of the challenges the prime hunting months of Sept-Nov. present...maybe they were referring to heat? I'd recommend shifting the dates to later in the year if at all possible.

It's also important to note that the Niassa Special Reserve is within the Niassa Province. This particular block is outside of the Reserve proper in an area commonly referred to as the 'buffer zone.' I wouldn't be scared away by that; I've hunted within the Reserve and outside in the buffer zone (different block) and both offered good, BUT different opportunities.

As I mentioned, species distribution is variable across the Reserve and buffer zones. Those mentioning hunting with Kambako, reference hunting to the far east. Many of the species present there aren't present where you'll be hunting (i.e. suni, red duiker, Johnston's impala).

Travel to Mozambique is annoying. It's not difficult; just long due to how flights align. Are you going to Pemba or Lichinga? Pemba is a nice resting spot!
Its not that any recommended it specifically, its more that they all generally communicated hunting dates would be between June-September. None dissuaded me from any months in there or indicated any being better than other. And by the time I was working with Leopard's valley on setting dates I had pretty much been limited down by work and other of my requirements to either be June or a small window in September and the September window didn't align with availability.

Will be flying in to Pemba. Well, first will be flying to JNB on Qatar Airways and overnighting at Africa Sky before catching flight to Pemba next day.

I'm shocked that any outfitter would recommend June in Niassa--aside from perhaps leopard or lion hunting. I guess I'm unaware of the challenges the prime hunting months of Sept-Nov. present...maybe they were referring to heat? I'd recommend shifting the dates to later in the year if at all possible.

It's also important to note that the Niassa Special Reserve is within the Niassa Province. This particular block is outside of the Reserve proper in an area commonly referred to as the 'buffer zone.' I wouldn't be scared away by that; I've hunted within the Reserve and outside in the buffer zone (different block) and both offered good, BUT different opportunities.

As I mentioned, species distribution is variable across the Reserve and buffer zones. Those mentioning hunting with Kambako, reference hunting to the far east. Many of the species present there aren't present where you'll be hunting (i.e. suni, red duiker, Johnston's impala).

Travel to Mozambique is annoying. It's not difficult; just long due to how flights align. Are you going to Pemba or Lichinga? Pemba is a nice resting spot!
Appreciate you sharing the information. They were very open to moving if I wanted to and I'm now setup to arrive mid-September for my 10 day hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.