More Difficult to get Warthogs/swine into the USA

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Wildside Outdoors, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Wildside Outdoors

Wildside Outdoors AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RMEF, NWTF, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA- AK, WY, UT, CO, TX, GA, FL, NC, TN, OH, IL, IN, MO, MI, and good ole KY
    So what extra steps have to be taken to import swine into the USA. I have read that they have to come through a USDA approvied customs port because of risk of parasites/zoonotic diseases. Is it not possible to clear customs yourself or to have a broker take care of this? Must you have a taxidermist/vet certified person to do this?

2. redriver

redriver AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA, Zimbabwe
    as far as I have been aware all fauna & flora have to come thru a USDA port of entry, if the swine are already mounted I have never had a problem,
    I live near a port of entry so I have a local broker handle the paperwork and inspections then I go and pick up the crate, very smooth

3. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    I can only speak to Los Angeles POE but ALL "raw" (dip and pack) trophies will have to be released to an approved Taxidermist through a "licensed and bonded transport company" or the taxidermist themselves present at the POE. No release of dip and pack to customer allowed even though the Dept of Agriculture and F&W handbooks say that "ungulates" (plains game) can be released to the hunter. Have been through this twice now. Fully finished trophies can be released directly to the owner but the paper work has to show that. I have always had the swine dip and pack put in a separate box IN THE SAME SHIPMENT and labeled as such so if problems arise it can be separated from the others.

4. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa
    My taxidermist told me the same thing about wart hogs. That they need to be packed separate but can come with the same shipment. I quess this to mean a box within the box. One thing I have noticed is that the taxidermist in Africa wanted $2800 for a full body mount and mine here in the states wanted $1100. Every other mount was priced close to the same. Could it be in the skinning of the wart hog for the big difference?

5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    No way, it's just the way they priced it, I think that price is crazy high !

6. 1ObsessedHunter

1ObsessedHunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I recently got mine in. My understanding is it just has to get separately packed and released to a USDA approved facility...which your taxidermist should be. It really wasn't an issue.

7. 1ObsessedHunter

1ObsessedHunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    :agree:

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Two possibilities come to mind.
    The African taxi is indeed pricey or they are including an incredible base. :)
    The US taxi has no idea how hard a Warthog is to do, or he wants to do one for the entertainment of it.

Make sure you compare the work not just the price.

9. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa
    I never toke a wart hog this time. I was just thinking about the next hunt. I am having my shoulder mounts done here. The price here was cheaper for some and a little higher for others. I think I would have lost the savings on shipping cost to have some done in Africa. I did have some backskins tanned over there and they were great.

10. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Not sure I would want to "toke" a warthog anytime! Might not smell too good.:rolleyes:

11. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    I have got the price $1250 from a taxidermist in SA, so it looks like $2800 is very high. So they either did a mistake giving lwaters the price or they really want to earn very good money on him :)