Monolithic in 6.5

Elton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Who has experience in using monos in the 6.5? I have heard many good things regarding the TTSX and GMX bullets, and locally we have a manufacturer called Peregrine Bullets which makes Monos with a slightly higher BC as the two mentioned above. As i bought my first rifle this week (6.5cm) i was hoping to do research on possibly bullets while i wait.

I really want to use the monos as they are tough and made to be shot through the shoulder (At least the Peregrine ones are) and you all know that the tracking should be short because they can't run if they don't have shoulders.

But when i bought the rifle and enquired about the monos, there was mixed feelings about them in the small caliber. All agreed that the bigger calibers are where they shine.

Any thoughts on this from the experienced members?

From ballisticstudies.com

BAE72918-38CD-4C41-AD28-05785C7A721E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No reason they should not work in smaller calibres.
People have used Barnes monos in .223 on pigs and got good penetration.
Cup and core bullets have been taking game for over a century but if you want to use a mono it should be tougher better on tougher game.
Being the 6.5 Creedmoor is a halfway size using premium ammo might give you an advantage. It's the cheapest part of the hunt so of it gives you a sense of security give them a go.
If you are going to use a 6.5Creedmoor on game using a game bullet is the responsible thing to do. You have already thought the whole proccess through in your purchase.
It's not the cartridge that's a problem just some of the hype from people who think it's just an off the shelf answer to everything but not realising it's Ballistic capabilities are not intended or suited to dropping game at extreme distance it was designed to punch paper and had a nice balance of ballistics to do that at a distance with a high B.C. low drag Target round.
Load adequate hunting rounds, stay inside suitable ranges and hunt responsibly and you will do well.

Before you know it your son will be hunting alongside you and you will be providing sound advice to new hunters.

ID like to load some TSX or the new Hornady in my 6.5 PRC but I want a heavier bullet for both accuracy and hunting. I want to go heavier than the 143g ELDX in the current Hornady loads. In time with the popularity of the 6.5 there will be more bullet choices.
What am I missing here?

ID like to load some TSX or the new Hornady in my 6.5 PRC but I want a heavier bullet for both accuracy and hunting. I want to go heavier than the 143g ELDX in the current Hornady loads. In time with the popularity of the 6.5 there will be more bullet choices.
What am I missing here?
Phil, bullet weight is limiting with 1-8 twist, especially mono’s with the heaviest around 127 grains (TSX). I bought a bunch of Peregrines with the heaviest they recommended for 1- 8 twist, 125gr (or close to that). I have them shooting well and may take it to Africa this fall vs using 140 Accubonds is I did last year.
If you have a twist faster than 1-8, Peregrine makes some heavier versions as well as Hammer.
Berger has a 156 grain “EOL” cup and core that may work in 1-8.

Just info. Im leaving for Africa in just a few days with 117 grain Shock Hammers as shot through a 260 Remington. I hope to take a few critters with that combo. If so, I'll submit the report.

Just info. Im leaving for Africa in just a few days with 117 grain Shock Hammers as shot through a 260 Remington. I hope to take a few critters with that combo. If so, I'll submit the report.
I found 124HH accurate in my newly barreled .308
We would like to hear all about your adventures as they unfold. There will be critters, Africa is loaded with wildlife and hunting is a legitimate industry for them.
I have been researching the .260 Im hoping to own one in time.

I found 124HH accurate in my newly barreled .308
We would like to hear all about your adventures as they unfold. There will be critters, Africa is loaded with wildlife and hunting is a legitimate industry for them.
I have been researching the .260 Im hoping to own one in time.
If I am not mistaken you build a super light rifle with a custom stock recently? Wouldn't the 260 also make a great light rifle? Or are you going to go the opposite ruite and look for a chassis system this time?

Correct, I built a .280ai because I do like 7 mil's. and I read lots of good stuff.

I think a .260 would be great in a lightweight and because it's a slightly larger case than the Creedmoor and I think it can produce more velocity if set up right. I think it's a step up from .243 for hunting but should still be light recoil for young shooters.

If I set one up for target shooting at club level I'm thinking more an adjustable stock like a GRS Bifrost or similar. I'm not that into chassis rifles.

I shoot the Barnes 100gr TTSX in my 6.5X55 and 264mag. I use the Barnes 127gr LRX in my 6.5X300W. Excellent results for all of them.

This discussion calls a question that I was going to ask in the reloading forum, but may be apropos here. Specifically the 6.5mm part.

My local revier requires lead free ammo. I don't like it, but there it is. The normal load for my M1903 Mannlicher is 160 grains, at about 2150 fps. A monolithic round will by its nature be lighter for the same length (less density). I need to measure twist, but I'm assuming it is correct for a long for calibre bullet (160 grains ain't short).

Question: Is the idea with monolithics that I can trade weight for speed? For example, will cartridge capacity send the lighter bullet faster, resulting in similar energies?

My end goal is to make at least 2,000 Joules at 100 meters. "Standard" 6.5X54mm load is "not quite there" - about 1940 J.

I have a similar question relating to my M1910, but I'm less worried about making the energy requirements there.

Even if my above question is not true, how do I figure out what I need? I have some idea (but not perfect) about selecting bullet weight with standard bullets, but I'm hunting less than I should because I can't figure out how to select monolithics. Can anyone name a source (other than marketing materials) that can break this down for me?

This discussion calls a question that I was going to ask in the reloading forum, but may be apropos here. Specifically the 6.5mm part.

My local revier requires lead free ammo. I don't like it, but there it is. The normal load for my M1903 Mannlicher is 160 grains, at about 2150 fps. A monolithic round will by its nature be lighter for the same length (less density). I need to measure twist, but I'm assuming it is correct for a long for calibre bullet (160 grains ain't short).

Question: Is the idea with monolithics that I can trade weight for speed? For example, will cartridge capacity send the lighter bullet faster, resulting in similar energies?

My end goal is to make at least 2,000 Joules at 100 meters. "Standard" 6.5X54mm load is "not quite there" - about 1940 J.

I have a similar question relating to my M1910, but I'm less worried about making the energy requirements there.

Even if my above question is not true, how do I figure out what I need? I have some idea (but not perfect) about selecting bullet weight with standard bullets, but I'm hunting less than I should because I can't figure out how to select monolithics. Can anyone name a source (other than marketing materials) that can break this down for me?
Check Peregrines website as well as Hammer bullets, they list the required twist to run the proper weight copper monos.

Drive the mono fast as possible for good expansion. Run the muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient through one of the online tools to determine your maximum range with the monos, I like to use 2100-2200 fps as a minimum terminal velocity to ensure some expansion.

Bullets that light are just not great at breaking bone. They are great for deer where we shoot them through the ribs and get great lung damage. In Africa you need to break the shoulder which also finds the vitals that are further forward than deer. Take very careful shots and hope for the best.
good luck,
Philip

Philip Glass, several years ago I contacted a "major" bullet manufacturer and asked about 140 Gr. monos for my Swedish Mausers. The answer I got from their "technician" is that the reason they weren't available is because the 1/7.8" twist rate of the Swede will not stabilize the bullet. The Swede's twist rate is just slightly faster than the 1/8" twist rate mentioned in previous posts. For that reason. I stick to bullets that have lead in them for hunting. For heavier hunting bullets I've used the 156 Gr. Norma Oryx, the 160 Gr. Woodleigh. Recently I bought some 155 Gr. Lapua Mega bullets to see how they fly. I've not tested them yet.

Shootist43,
Read the post above concerning the 6.5x55 and Barnes bullets. Or better yet look up www.ballisticstudies.com and read the whole quite extensive article. Your fast twist is fine. 120s are fine.
I posted only a screenshot about 6.5 Barnes because that’s what the OP was asking about but the information applies as well to the Creedmoor or .260 rem.
The limiting factor of your cartridge is it’s bore size.
There are no shortage of North American elk taken cleanly with the above combination.
I’m an advocate for bigger bores myself but within 300 and with a steady rest I’d have no worries.

Norway allowed a little while ago 120 Mono bullets in 6,5x55 for large game, the energy requirement on 100 meters as before applies to that . 2700 joule.

Seen somewhere Boddington used Selous .256 with a 160 mono solid CEB on a hunt one time.

Can’t go wrong with peregrines or the hammers, I’ve used both with good success. Peregrines will mushroom where the hammers shed petals and the bullet will pass through similar to a solid. You will just need to go to a lighter bullet because of the length of the monolithics and pay attention to the recommended twist for the bullet. Another good monolithic bullet is Badlands. Haven’t shot an animal with them but have worked up a load for 300 Win Mag. I have pics of badlands and also a couple of recovered hammers. First pic is badlands and second is hammer
4F003DEF-6B29-4146-8F1D-B101CE644D42.jpeg
7F6060EE-8A77-49A6-AF50-7E6E815D1533.jpeg

Philip Glass, several years ago I contacted a "major" bullet manufacturer and asked about 140 Gr. monos for my Swedish Mausers. The answer I got from their "technician" is that the reason they weren't available is because the 1/7.8" twist rate of the Swede will not stabilize the bullet. The Swede's twist rate is just slightly faster than the 1/8" twist rate mentioned in previous posts. For that reason. I stick to bullets that have lead in them for hunting. For heavier hunting bullets I've used the 156 Gr. Norma Oryx, the 160 Gr. Woodleigh. Recently I bought some 155 Gr. Lapua Mega bullets to see how they fly. I've not tested them yet.
My Tikka T3 Swede really likes the Lapua mega. I don’t have my load data handy, but it was easily sub MOA. If the 156 gr and 160’s shoot, I don’t see why those wouldn’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.