Mauser 98 Builds

Very nice builds! I’m in search for a Mauser action myself in order to do a 416 ruger build.

rdog,

I'm dying to get my gun room/workshop built. It's in the process, but itching every day.

I went with former Military actions, due to price and availability. My stockmaker showed me 2 Dumolin receivers he had hidden away the other day. I was speechless. New, in the box! He probably had another 1/2 dozen mixed Mauser actions, if not more stuffed in the cabinet. I feel I made a good choice with him!

I'll post the caliber choices when closer. I think one will be received happily, the other not so much.
Since these will be iron sight guns, and I don't yet handload I decide to go with calibers I already own/shoot. I didn't need/want to add another mouth to feed. To make it more interesting, I'll tell you some of the calibers I already own are; 35 Remington, 300 Savage, 280 Remington, 284 Win, 308 Win and 243 Win (others too). They may or may not be in one or more of these. Ohh, don't anyone tell Bob35whelen I own a 243!
@CraigV
I can track a 243 owner down easier than a bounty hunter. My sympathy goes out to you for owning one I just hope you don't actually use it.
Don't worry @rdog actually owns a 243 as well. He even wanted me to touch it. No way was that going to happen. Will be interesting to see what calivers you choose.
Bob
Bob

24 inch or you are wasting your time. 308, 358, 338 FED ok with 20 inch.
@rdog
The 338 fed and 358 are all the 308 wanted to be. Just don't go down in caliber with a 308 case as the made the horrible little pissant 243 out of a perfectly good 308.
One thing 243 cases are good for is necking up to 6.5 or 7mm.
Bob

Yes i have a 270 Win & 280 REM, both with 25 inch bbls why waste a cartridges potential, if short bbls are your thing there are a lot of cartridges out there that suite.
@rdog
That's why I went a 25 inch barrel on my beloved Whelen. For some strange reason the British like 25 inch tube. Look at the early hunting rifles, a lot had 25 inch. Even the SMLE has a 25 inch tube.
Bob

:)

I'm keeping the calibers a secret, as mentioned, but I am enjoying the suggestions.

Since I own a 280REM, I probably wouldn't go 280AI, nothing wrong with it, and honestly not sure which is "better" - relative term obviously.

I've got several 24-26" rifles, so want these to be light. We're figuring right around 7lbs at completion, maybe a tad less.

Keep the recommendations coming!
@CraigV
You can still have a light rifle with a 25 inch tube. Just use a slimmer profile.
Bob

Dang Bob, (Bob Nelson 35Whelen),

You were/are on a roll. I feel this was almost like when you were driving trucks, just grabbing another gear, and putting the coal to her!

Thanks for all the replies. My quest when I started this project was to rejuvenate a couple of old Mauser actions, then I got a bit of inspiration from this site, and the turn of the century (last one), craftsmanship. I have enough calibers already, so didn't want to add another to the cabinet.

I wanted these to be classy, fun, and light. I really wanted one to be 35Rem, but the smith couldn't make that happen - something about the case wouldn't work.

They weigh in at 7lbs 4 oz, so very happy about that. They should be plenty good out to 200m, maybe more, but with iron sights, I want to keep it inside that range.

FYI, I haven't shot my .243 yet! No, it won't become tomato stakes...

OK,

Just picked them up from the stock maker. My opinion, fantastic work. Didn't go overboard on the grain, but really pretty. Some of the tightest fitting I've seen. The guy is 84 years old, does everyting by hand.

Now off to be blued.

Also time to reveal the calibers: 300 Savage on one, and 6.5 CM for the other. I'm sure there will be those who disagree, fine. I wanted easy to shoot, reliable, and caliber's that I already had. These were the best options for rifles that are going to remain iron sights.

View attachment 547341

View attachment 547342View attachment 547343View attachment 547344View attachment 547345View attachment 547346View attachment 547347View attachment 547348
Beautiful work.

I just got my Mauser build back home. Had to finish it up initially with 30-06 barrel still attached and then drive to Montana to pick up 404 Jeffery barrel from Lija and have a local gunsmith there put it on. Then bring it back here to send off for bluing. Exporting gun parts from US is now complicated. However, I'm still a US citizen and Canadian permanent resident with firearms license so I can cross borders with my personal guns (must prove Canadian ownership when returning). I declared the new barrel when I returned but it's not a gun part if attached to the gun. Clever workaround ... that cost me a thirty hour drive both ways. Bolt face was opened up by a machinist here before going to Montana. I installed 3-position safety, Timney trigger, and new 416 Remington bottom metal. I also did the work to feeding ramp and rails. The semi-inletted stock is something I picked up cheap to finish as a learning experience. I'll replace it eventually. No rosewood or ebony available in time so I made the fore end tip from a block of zebrawood. Seemed appropriate. Barrel is 24" with 1/14 twist. Iron sights are from ebay: 1990s Winchester Safari Express.

Had some trouble getting it to group but after some adjustments to loads it came around finally. Too late to get it off to be blued. It will go to Africa integrated - black and white.
20230718_174300.jpg

Dang Bob, (Bob Nelson 35Whelen),

You were/are on a roll. I feel this was almost like when you were driving trucks, just grabbing another gear, and putting the coal to her!

Thanks for all the replies. My quest when I started this project was to rejuvenate a couple of old Mauser actions, then I got a bit of inspiration from this site, and the turn of the century (last one), craftsmanship. I have enough calibers already, so didn't want to add another to the cabinet.

I wanted these to be classy, fun, and light. I really wanted one to be 35Rem, but the smith couldn't make that happen - something about the case wouldn't work.

They weigh in at 7lbs 4 oz, so very happy about that. They should be plenty good out to 200m, maybe more, but with iron sights, I want to keep it inside that range.

FYI, I haven't shot my .243 yet! No, it won't become tomato stakes...
@CraigV
If your gunsmith wanted the 35 rem to work it would work. Just lazy in my books.
Do yourself a big favour, DONT SHOOT THE 243!!!!! Just SELL the useless thing and use the money to fund another Mauser project.
Something like a nice 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06 or even a 35 Whelen. You will get MORE JOY out of any of those than a 243. Dang man the 25-06 with a 1 in 9 twist barrel and 131gn bullets will do everything the 6.5 manbun will and then some. PLUS it's a nice soft recoiling rifle for the kids. Loaded with a nice 117grain SST and you have a fine and dandy long range deer rifle.
Bob

I just got my Mauser build back home. Had to finish it up initially with 30-06 barrel still attached and then drive to Montana to pick up 404 Jeffery barrel from Lija and have a local gunsmith there put it on. Then bring it back here to send off for bluing. Exporting gun parts from US is now complicated. However, I'm still a US citizen and Canadian permanent resident with firearms license so I can cross borders with my personal guns (must prove Canadian ownership when returning). I declared the new barrel when I returned but it's not a gun part if attached to the gun. Clever workaround ... that cost me a thirty hour drive both ways. Bolt face was opened up by a machinist here before going to Montana. I installed 3-position safety, Timney trigger, and new 416 Remington bottom metal. I also did the work to feeding ramp and rails. The semi-inletted stock is something I picked up cheap to finish as a learning experience. I'll replace it eventually. No rosewood or ebony available in time so I made the fore end tip from a block of zebrawood. Seemed appropriate. Barrel is 24" with 1/14 twist. Iron sights are from ebay: 1990s Winchester Safari Express.

Had some trouble getting it to group but after some adjustments to loads it came around finally. Too late to get it off to be blued. It will go to Africa integrated - black and white.
View attachment 547686
That looks great!

Totally agree, take it and shoot it on your hunt. Let us know how well it did!

I have some north of the border friends, and yeah, it's silly the hoops, hurdles, and restrictions. And it's only getting worse. Oddly enough, I found some key parts for my builds in the Maple Nation. Might have had someone from there buy them and send them south. Silly for some old metal - literally parts.

@CraigV
If your gunsmith wanted the 35 rem to work it would work. Just lazy in my books.
Do yourself a big favour, DONT SHOOT THE 243!!!!! Just SELL the useless thing and use the money to fund another Mauser project.
Something like a nice 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06 or even a 35 Whelen. You will get MORE JOY out of any of those than a 243. Dang man the 25-06 with a 1 in 9 twist barrel and 131gn bullets will do everything the 6.5 manbun will and then some. PLUS it's a nice soft recoiling rifle for the kids. Loaded with a nice 117grain SST and you have a fine and dandy long range deer rifle.
Bob
I agree. Two gunsmiths told me it was not possible to build 404 Jeffery on a 98 Mauser. But of course it's possible. It's how Jeffery did it to start with. Any gunsmith who tells you 35 W can't be built on 98 Mauser isn't much of a gunsmith.

That looks great!

Totally agree, take it and shoot it on your hunt. Let us know how well it did!

I have some north of the border friends, and yeah, it's silly the hoops, hurdles, and restrictions. And it's only getting worse. Oddly enough, I found some key parts for my builds in the Maple Nation. Might have had someone from there buy them and send them south. Silly for some old metal - literally parts.
Actually, it did get a little better back in February. In theory anyway. US changed regs so gun parts under $500 can be shipped to Canadian address but only via registered "low value shipper" courier. My barrel maker was not interested in exploring what or who is a LVS courier.

I agree. Two gunsmiths told me it was not possible to build 404 Jeffery on a 98 Mauser. But of course it's possible. It's how Jeffery did it to start with. Any gunsmith who tells you 35 W can't be built on 98 Mauser isn't much of a gunsmith.

Considering I am not a gunsmith... and I built an excellent 35 Whelen on a 98 Mauser... I completely agree..

Quite literally anyone with a reasonable brain, a couple of specialized tools, and the willingness to watch a few hours of YouTube videos can do it.. It is not in any way difficult or hard... you just need to go slow, pay close attention, and use quality components.. and you will end up with a solid rifle (my wife used her 35 whelen (the one I built) to take her eland at roughly 250 yards a few years back.. its MOA accurate, extremely reliable, and as functional as any decently built sporter mauser..

Ive also built reliable, accurate, etc 30-06, 416 Taylor, and a few other calibers on basic military 98 mauser actions.. you can make just about any short or long action caliber work well on one if you have the mind to do so..

I have considered building either a 375 HH or a 404 Jeff on one, but decided that is a little more work than I am willing to commit to as you have to do some modifications to the action that I dont really have the tools to do the work with.. but honestly, the work itself wouldnt be all that hard..

For any of you contemplating a Mauser build, I suggest thinking about using a Springfield instead. I have seen them in 7mm mag and 458 so making one into a DGR thumper is doable. In fact it may be a better choice. The Springfield's third emergency lug is substantially larger and should provide more support if lapped into action. Also, my Springfield cycles MUCH faster and smoother than my 98 Mauser. It's like glass! This is mostly due to much shorter cocking on closing stroke. And yes, both guns are supposedly cocked on opening, but look closely. Most of the cocking is done on opening but both actions actually lift the cocking the final bit on closing. Springfield's final bit of cocking is much shorter than Mauser's. Springfield bolt almost seems to want to drop closed on its own. Mauser must be worked to close the bolt. Changing a Springfield to 3-position side safety is more complicated and expensive as it requires making a new striker. Can be done using a Model 70 bolt shroud that screws right on Springfield. Also, it may be more difficult to find Springfield magnum bottom metal. Still, I think the results would be worth it. It is a much superior action in my opinion. Asthetically, the two guns are comparable. I chopped the knob off my Springfield's striker for access to Mauser style left side safety and that made it even more attractive.

Last edited:
Considering I am not a gunsmith... and I built an excellent 35 Whelen on a 98 Mauser... I completely agree..

Quite literally anyone with a reasonable brain, a couple of specialized tools, and the willingness to watch a few hours of YouTube videos can do it.. It is not in any way difficult or hard... you just need to go slow, pay close attention, and use quality components.. and you will end up with a solid rifle (my wife used her 35 whelen (the one I built) to take her eland at roughly 250 yards a few years back.. its MOA accurate, extremely reliable, and as functional as any decently built sporter mauser..

Ive also built reliable, accurate, etc 30-06, 416 Taylor, and a few other calibers on basic military 98 mauser actions.. you can make just about any short or long action caliber work well on one if you have the mind to do so..

I have considered building either a 375 HH or a 404 Jeff on one, but decided that is a little more work than I am willing to commit to as you have to do some modifications to the action that I dont really have the tools to do the work with.. but honestly, the work itself wouldnt be all that hard..
I'm also no gunsmith and managed the receiver modifications just fine with a Dremel and large assortment of bits. You could handle building a 375. Order Duane Weibe's nifty little book ($25 including postage). The only thing I couldn't do was open the bolt face. A local machinist was able to do it for me using Duane's booklet as guidance for setup. I ordered new bottom metal rather than fiddle with jerry rigging existing military magazine box. 415 Rem Mag bottom metal worked just fine for 404 Jeff. Most of the custom bottom metal makers sell ready made 375. Apparently, no one makes 404 though Sunny Hill said they would open something up to 404 specs for $40 extra ($700 total Canadian!). This 415 box is not quite to Mauser's cosine 30 degrees specs for shoulder width but it works fine. Go for it!

Edit: I should add that though Weibe's book provides instructions for trimming the forward ring to expand the loading/ejection port, it wasn't necessary for 404. It clears the ejection port front and back, albeit just barely.

Last edited:
No idea as to why the gunsmith was not able to do the work but CraigV said he wanted a 35 Remington not a 35 Whelen.
Ah ... BIG difference. 35 Rem is a rimmed cartridge. Perhaps it might be possible to build one on a Siamese Mauser? They were designed for rimmed cartridges. 45-70 is a popular build for them. But bolt face may be too big? It's one thing to open a bolt face for larger cartridges but shrinking a bolt face would be challenging (maybe impossible?). Thanks for straightening us out. That gunsmith was correct in declining to attempt building 35 Remington on Mauser 98. Frankly, that cartridge would not be at the top of my list for a build ... or for any gun in my safe.

Ah ... BIG difference. 35 Rem is a rimmed cartridge. Perhaps it might be possible to build one on a Siamese Mauser? They were designed for rimmed cartridges. 45-70 is a popular build for them. But bolt face may be too big? It's one thing to open a bolt face for larger cartridges but shrinking a bolt face would be challenging (maybe impossible?). Thanks for straightening us out. That gunsmith was correct in declining to attempt building 35 Remington on Mauser 98. Frankly, that cartridge would not be at the top of my list for a build ... or for any gun in my safe.

35Rem is not a rimmed cartridge so we can rule that out as a reason why the smith said no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.