Man’s best friend

I've always had working gun dogs, and prefer the European Versatile breeds. Grew up with a Weimaraner as a teenager, my first dog after marriage was a Large Munsterlander. Then a couple of Pudelpointers, and now I'm hunting with a Deutsch Drahthaar.
We hunt forest grouse, prairie grouse and pheasant, Ducks, geese, small game and furbearers. Unfortunately we are not allowed to use a dog for blood tracking big game here. Stupid law. I just spent three days this week hunting with my dog. We took Pheasant, Sharptail grouse, Grey partridge, some ducks, and a coyote while walking about 40 KM in some wonderful country. I love the partnership hunting with a dog.
IMG_6719.jpeg
IMG_6708.jpeg
IMG_4755.jpeg

A couple of my old Chesapeakes, both had roughly 5,000 retrieves in their careers. The dead grass chessie (Tug) was featured in Ducks Unlimited magazine back in the late 80’s or early 90’s. The other (Brandt) was a great dog and made some incredible retrieves. The goose that Tug is retrieving is a 12 pound Canada, he was a big powerful dog.

569755E1-CA3E-41F1-92DA-4A31A4DAA7D2.jpeg
6D9E5BAD-8A8C-4413-86B4-171B21E73C38.jpeg
EEC5FEAB-9E16-4851-9544-19B6FB481C97.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the left is Oscar (mayer wiener). Cute and sweet but his only value is in being a lap warmer and making the rest of the family happy. On the right is Lili (Von Shtupp). A blue Lacy that loves to blood trail, chase varmints, quail hunt and 'help' Dad with the cows from time to time.

1666622009989.jpeg

This is Jessie.
She's travelled a lot with me. Just likes to be around me.
View attachment 496009
My faithful sidekick did not wake up this morning. I sat on the grass with her last night as she wasn’t herself. I don’t know what was wrong but it came on quick and she was content so I spent what time I could with her and planned to get up early to check on her.
I found she had not made it through the night but she was home and she was happy and healthy for the 11 good years she had.
Reloading down the shed won’t be same without her but I laid her to rest the best way I could.
IMG_0042.jpeg

Her favourite perch in the yard in better days.

My faithful sidekick did not wake up this morning. I sat on the grass with her last night as she wasn’t herself. I don’t know what was wrong but it came on quick and she was content so I spent what time I could with her and planned to get up early to check on her.
I found she had not made it through the night but she was home and she was happy and healthy for the 11 good years she had.
Reloading down the shed won’t be same without her but I laid her to rest the best way I could.
View attachment 602513

Sorry for your loss, I hate losing my dogs.

We lost our lab last fall and our Mastiff has started to have seizures so I know exactly how that feels. Sorry to hear it!

Meet Tui, my the wonder dog, My GWP.
It's a wonder she's still alive and a wonder Sue and I aren't in the poor house!!
So far at 3 1/2 years we've spent $14,000 on snake bite treatments, 1 Tiger Snake and most recently an enormous 6ft Eastern Brown Snake, $2,000 veterinary dentist Bill, $1800 opthamologist bill, $800 grass seed removal bill, so far $3,000 Veterinary dermatologist bill and speying and other check ups!!
Tui is the most affectionate and tactile dog I've ever owned and, is the office supervisor in my knifemaking workshop.

20230726_154112.jpg
20230415_101704.jpg
20230112_072229.jpg
20221224_185926.jpg

View attachment 602513

So sorry for your loss!

View attachment 602513
Sorry to hear that it’s tuff to lose a great companion.

@Altitude sickness They are all needy, lol,

@Kiwifire111 funny that, I have been known to say Jessie the Wonder Dog, it’s a wonder I have a dog.
She was for the family but attached to me and traveled with me becoming my dog. Good company when I worked alone and away from home.

I wouldn’t have it any other way except for maybe more time. She was no burden just wanted me and life gets in the way but I sat with her yesterday as I have been when I can, an hour later I saw a change and knew she wasn’t right but knew I couldn’t do anything or force anything on her.

I’m hearing you , my German Shepherd from years ago cost a fortune and time took its toll.

This is brother/sister combo Rudy and Mazie....a fine pair of Jack Russell's. They just hit 1 year old the other day and are already doing really good on blood trailing and recovery. They found their first deer at 7 months old. But where they really shine is following me around, being under my feet and in my lap when I sit down.

Rudy.jpg
Mazie.jpg

View attachment 602513

Oh man, I'm so sorry for the lost of your faithful parner. They are family, and losing them hurts to the core. My condolences to you and your family.

The quote that always cuts me to the core is that our pets are only here for a part of our lives, but to them, we are their whole lives.

So true, so true.

Well, we have a pack now, five dogs! Four of them are rescues, two of which were dumped on or near our property, which is a big problem here. I think we’re about maxed out now! I will say it’s kept me busy post retirement, training them and taking care of them.

We have Bandit, 11 year old white and black border collie/heeler mix we rescued 10 years ago. Max- our 6 1/2 year old blue Doberman and the protector, very attached to my wife, absolutely fearless, used to tree bears at our place in Montana. Nala- 6 year old Red Siberian Husky rescued from a kill shelter in Utah. Was half wild but took well to training, sweet girl. Eva- 2 year old white and black Siberian Husky that was dumped on a road near us in Oklahoma that we rescued, very vocal and dramatic but a sweet girl!

Sadie- our last addition, 1 1/2 years approximately, black with white chest, we think she’s a mountain cur and maybe some heeler. Dumped in front of our property and after watching some idiot almost nail her at 70 mph, we spent about an hour trying to get her since she faced certain death on that road, finally were able to coax her to us with food and water. We’ve had her for several months now and she’s responded very well to training and has turned into a great dog.

We have a soft spot for dogs. I prefer them to people. In my previous profession, K9’s have demonstrated amazing abilities that I never stopped being amazed by them. From our search and rescue dogs that could locate a missing child or elderly Alzheimer’s missing person, cadaver dogs that could locate drowning victims submerged in 100 feet of water, our GSD and Belgian Malinois K9’s that saved my life on more than one occasion. Even with all the technology available to us when tracking an armed and dangerous suspect, fixed wing aircraft installed with Predator drone cameras and helicopters with FLIR cameras, given a choice, I’ll take a K9 over all of that, every time.

IMG_1373.jpeg
IMG_4006.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1477.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_8102.jpeg
IMG_0587.jpeg
IMG_3867.jpeg

View attachment 602513
Very sorry for your loss. They truly are special.

Here are my two. Oreo is a Shih-Tzu and Kali a Shephard were both rescued. The way they came into our life, it was meant for them to be part of our family. Both of them are 12 years old, but unfortunately age is getting to Kali. Not sure how much longer we'll have her.

Oreo.jpg

Kali.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AileenGayt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.