Looking for a hunt in Ethiopia

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by ssglong83, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ssglong83

ssglong83 New Member

Greetings all,
    Just some quick backstory, I'm on active duty in the US Army and I'm currently stationed in Ethiopia. I'm an avid hunter in the Pacific Northwest back home. But now I find myself here and missing yet another hunting season. Anyways, we're authorized a four day pass halfway through our tour and instead of being force fed an MWR trip, I'd like to go for a hunt here.

Now, I now the cost is dependant on what I want to hunt here. All I'm looking for is a deer like creature. Maybe something bigger than a bushbuck, but not as huge as a nyala!

A few questions first. Is four days enough for a hunting trip here? There'll be two travel days bookending the 96 hours. Also, since I'm away from home will it be possible to rent a rifle for the hunt? And what is a ballpark figure I should expect to spend?

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried emailing a couple of outfitters, but I never got a response back.
    Thanks guys,
    Steve

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    My best guess would be to fly to South Africa and hunt. I don't think it's cheap at all to hunt in Ethiopia. In RSA, depending on how much time you had to hunt, based on air travel, maybe you could hunt impala, springbok, blesbok, gemsbok, wildebeest, warthogs, zebra, kudu....etc. If you were open to hunting anything, you should get some hunting in, but I have no idea on the airline schedule.

3. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    I agree that RSA or perhaps Namibia. Keep the travel time as short as possible to maximize the hunting time. Several outfitters on here should be able to help. renting a rifle should be easy. Good idea. As to cost. That will depend on the animals you shoot. Blesbuck, Impala and Springbuck are all fairly cheap. A Kudu is going to cost more. A Nyala or Lechwe is even more. Find the outfitter and study his list. Make a priority list of those you want. The trophy fees plus the daily fees plus a tip is what you initially budget for. Then there is the dip and ship plus taxidermy. Get quotes so you know what it will cost.
    It would be nice to hunt Ethiopia with being stationed there. Not a lot f hunting operations there. Limits your choice and they may just not be interested in a short 1 animal hunt for you. LOTS of choices in RSA and Namibia so they are more likely to help you out. Thanks for your service and good luck. Bruce

4. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    If you could find someone to take you in Ethiopia I wouldnt doubt that the day rates would cost nearly as much as flying to SA and hunting several economical species.

5. saeng101

saeng101 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunting & Conservation, CHASA, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA,Zim,RSA,Russia,Moz
    When do you want to do this?

6. adgunner

adgunner SILVER SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) DRC (Poachers) South Africa (2)
    I am heading into the DRC in a couple of weeks with the Canadian Army and have been looking at the same thing, even though i am booked in RSA next summer. If you have 4 days leave and flight time, you could make it happen, especially for plains game. Let me know how it works out as i will likely try the same thing come mid tour. Good luck on the rest of the tour.

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    So here is the depressing news and probably why no outfitter is getting back to you.

I have found an outfitter that states there is a Minimum number of days: 15. per Government Regs.
    I can not confirm this one.

Check out the table of License Fees, all to be paid in advance. Never mind adding any government conservation fee 100 US/day, export fees, etc and the outfitters still has to make a living.

eg. A bird hunting license is 1000USD
    Greater Kudu License 2700 USD
    Mountain Reedbuck 1000 USD

Here is the link to Hunting Proclamation
    http://www.ewca.gov.et/sites/default/files/163-2008 Wildlife Regulation English.Hedar 05.pdf

Attached Files:

8. Bwana4

Bwana4 New Member

Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, Zimbabwe, RSA, Namibia
    The only Ehtiopian outfitter worth it is Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris, Nassos and jason Roussos. They are the best and consuistently put clients on big game. They hold the 1 and 2 mountain Nyala. They are expensive for a reason. If you want a cheap hunt, go to RSA or Namibia for 3-5 days. Good luck

9. Anbessa Gedai

Anbessa Gedai AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA - LIFE MEMBER & SCI - LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    Ethiopia, Kenya, Mocambique, Zimbabwe, Republic of South Africa, Namibia, The Cameroon
    Steve,
    I'm seeing your post a bit late so I don't know if the discussion is still relevant. Hunting as a visiting tourist hunter (with a PH as required by law) here is perhaps some of the most expensive hunting on the continent, and there are MANY issues that make your proposal quite unrealistic - impossible really. I've hunted quite a fair amount in Ethiopia as a resident hunter, and suggest that is the only way to approach this - though you would still have a lot of hoops to jump through before getting to the bush. Resident hunters today CANNOT hunt any of the animals you've listed, but they are permitted licenses for Warthog, Bushpig, Dik-Dik, Hyena, Baboon, Monkey, game birds, and a few other small animals. As to 'hoops' you would have to explore whether EWCA would consider you qualified for a resident license, arrange a 4WD, and many other issues that would DEFINITELY burn up your six day leave and IF successful in all of this . . . though it would be perhaps affordable . . . you'd have no time left to go hunting! So I second the other posts that recommend you explore a short plains game hunt in either RSA, or Namibia. you could tailor a short ranch hunt for 2, or 3 species that might fit your time and budget constraints.
    If you are still in Ethiopia and interested in discussing the Ethiopia situation send me a PM. I'm in Addis currently and am happy to discuss in detail. Good luck!