Living Dangerously

yamoon

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life, ASSRA, GCCA
As close as I will ever come to hunting dangerous game, there are other ways of living on the edge, a quarter inch of rubber between you and eternity.
023.JPG

There are some fabulously twistie mountain roads here in Arizona that bike would be at home on. I’ll settle at 56 years old to ride them on my Harley. But I would love to add a Triumph Rocket 3 to the garage.

As close as I will ever come to hunting dangerous game, there are other ways of living on the edge, a quarter inch of rubber between you and eternity. View attachment 599821
Yamoon: that’s bike looks fast - standing still ! I would buy one myself except I’m too afraid (and my Mom won’t let me). Now, back in 2016 I got the “itch” to buy a motorcycle and picked up a mint condition 1981 Suzuki 850 - the bike I always wanted but couldn’t afford at the time. I paid $3500, rode it about 700 miles, put another $1000 into it (gasket replacement etc..) ..I loved riding it, it looked great, my Wife & I got matching helmets and leather jackets (we looked so Douche) and had fun on the few rides we took. But after a couple years my “itch” was scratched and I sold it for $2000.

Funny you should mention a Triumph ROcket 3!!! I've had a 2006 for 11 years.

View attachment 599841

Don't know what the power was like in the 06 models. But the new ones, it's pretty crazy. I have a touring bike and it's great. The wife and I actually use it to make longish road trips on the weekends with a few overnighters a year. It's perfect for that. But I miss having a smaller, "throw your leg over" and go bike.

Triumphs aren't all that common around me, see them time to time. One day someone had parked a more recent model year Rocket 3 outside of someplace I was going into. I was quite impressed.

Bought it new in 09, my understanding is MV Agusta built about 300 of this model, imported less than 50. 200 hp, rated top speed just under 200 mph. I just turned 80, my balance and reactions are not what they once were, so I sold it to a collector in Florid two years ago. I rode motorcycles for over 60 years, if they don’t turn your knuckles white and make your heart race, they are no fun.
Mike

Every few years I get an itch to buy a bike, I talk myself out of it everytime. Been really thinking about a Indian Chief Darkhorse just to run around on the weekends. I think it would be fun. Anybody know much about them?
IMG_6670.jpeg

When I saw the title of the post, I thought it was going to be one of these:

View attachment 599944

Turns out it was about motorcycles?
Years ago it was big chainsaws and big wood. After a few close calls it's now smaller saws and smaller wood (occasionally.)

Very nice!!! 'Had just about every Honda w/ an RC designation, a few CBRs, the Transalp (Dakkar-style) and countless enduro bikes. I did consider buying the Mille when it first came out. As I recall you could get them in 3 diff trim-the best being the race model. :) The Andrettis of race fame have a huge cycle shop nearby (have traded many w/ em over the years) in an industrial building painted as a gigantic Italian flag! I believe they too sell MV Agustas. 'Gave up the street riding after 40 yrs-after hitting 4 deer at night. Used to ride around TX (FL, CA, CN, TN/NC and the entire NE) extensively-saw MANY animals crossing the road (incl. zebra, camel, cattle, etc. etc.) but more easily seen in the wide-open country. Almost hit a bear by home one night but it got out of the way! Riding over the steel cattle guards crossing TX roads in rain was a lotta fun too! Memories. lol Wear ALL of your gear ALL of the time! ;)

042307 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah! Organ-Doner machine! Sweet. Got off my bike at 55ish. Never did lay it down. Considered myself fortunate. Got into a ‘Vette like a lot of guys my age, thinking it would scratch the itch. Nah. Although I always had the feeling that it was about to throw me into a tree. Kinda like a lot of horses I’ve been on. 63 now, and think I’ll take up flying. Sweet bike! Stay safe.

Very nice!!! 'Had just about every Honda w/ an RC designation, a few CBRs, the Transalp (Dakkar-style) and countless enduro bikes. I did consider buying the Mille when it first came out. As I recall you could get them in 3 diff trim-the best being the race model. :) The Andrettis of race fame have a huge cycle shop nearby (have traded many w/ em over the years) in an industrial building painted as a gigantic Italian flag! I believe they too sell MV Agustas. 'Gave up the street riding after 40 yrs-after hitting 4 deer at night. Used to ride around TX (FL, CA, CN, TN/NC and the entire NE) extensively-saw MANY animals crossing the road (incl. zebra, camel, cattle, etc. etc.) but more easily seen in the wide-open country. Almost hit a bear by home one night but it got out of the way! Riding over the steel cattle guards crossing TX roads in rain was a lotta fun too! Memories. lol Wear ALL of your gear ALL of the time! ;)
This is the same cycle Jay Leno had the kid on his show that was clocked at 205 mph by the cops Jay loving such machines he had the kid on to help pay for his fine. I'll just say I had more fun than that kid for a much longer period of time and I'm lucky to be alive! My daughter once demanded that I be present at one of her soccer games it was three hours from my place of work... My average speed was about 150 mph to make her game. She hasn't a clue what I went through but it was fun. Do all of your own maintenance do not entrust anyone else as your life depends on it

Sorry to say but I rode and drove and trailered many friends with broken ducati's home from far away including ferrying a broken bike over from Nova Scotia to Maine LOL a lot of that Italian machinery is very finicky and has issues! Also with the exception of the MV a little low in the horsepower department as well

When I saw the title of the post, I thought it was going to be one of these:

View attachment 599944

Turns out it was about motorcycles?
I thought it was about buying more firearms and trying to keep it from his wife? I'd drive that bike like I stole it! It would be safer than telling MY wife. LOL I do miss my '79 Yamaha XS 1100 sometimes. No fairing, shaft drive, just fast and fun for its era. I also had a '79 Yamaha 650 Special (all black) two banger. It was great in town but would pound the crap out of me on the highway. Fun bike though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeanna9950

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.