Custom 338/06...Shoots As Good As It Looks!

ghay

AH veteran
Reaction score
A while back I purchased this incredible rifle from the estate of a gentleman back in Delaware who had built quite a collection. This one was built on a Sako L61R action with a 22" Shilen Select Match barrel that was originally a .270 Win. but was later rebored to 338/06. I was a bit tentative about that but my research about reboring barrels set me at ease and I bought it. As shown by the target included, my confidence was well placed... my 4th 3 shot group after zeroing printed .130" at 100 yds. The two previous loads were .526" and .614" respectively with the provided Reloder 15 loads under a 210g Barnes TTSX. When I came across this rifle I didn't need it but I've always absolutely loved this caliber and on top of that...the workmanship on this gun is fantastic. The wood, the fit and finish and the checkering all done by a very famous (now deceased) stock builder whose name I should be able to retrieve, were more than I could resist. The only reason I am letting it go is that I quickly need to find a heavier rifle for Africa and I have multiple rifles for everything that walks in North America. I am looking for a 9.3x62 Mauser for a do-all African rig. I don't plan to take another Elephant so that round will easily handle everything else that I will encounter.

I purchased Talley bases and rings for the Sako tapered rails and mounted the Swarovski scope which can go with the rifle for an additional $850.
The rifle itself will go for $2750 or best offer shipped and insured CONUS

1F5F81B8-29C9-4601-9071-C7D8E096BF69_1_201_a.jpeg
2396253E-5E61-424B-BD68-892C80DE7BA4_1_201_a.jpeg
76AC718A-FEEF-4FBE-8AE0-42B8079FF63D_1_201_a.jpeg
822A0111-F1FE-427A-8D07-EC621563477D_1_201_a.jpeg
B334865C-FA72-41BE-BED2-F4627C0003F5_1_201_a.jpeg
04EF57CA-80D0-4B15-A14D-49317BB925C6_1_201_a.jpeg
869FFAEE-86D4-4F0C-BB8B-2B240F00037B_1_201_a.jpeg
CA6BD41C-BD8B-43E0-8D75-E6579B51E967_1_201_a.jpeg
C84F5411-77E8-44BC-ADA0-68EAC6BA6950_1_201_a.jpeg
E1ED8AF5-34F5-48AB-BEE2-C05B47A2445D_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You...it's a sweet one! I should also mention that I have a good number of new Norma Brass as well as good numbers of several bullets and a set of new set of Redding dies. Should be able to put together a very nice package for whoever buys this great rifle.

That rifle is elegantly appointed without being over the top. I appreciate that in gun. FWIW, another website is selling two L61R actions only, and both well used, for $1400 each. I think that shows what a fine offer you have made here, as the wood is often the most expensive component......and the fit and finish appears excellent.......GLWS..........FWB

Thanks guys, I know I'll miss this one when it's gone and someone will be very happy to own it.

For some reason the pic of my target didn't print, I'll try it again

857BB523-8DDF-48C9-AB30-125B28755A52_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't miss out on this one guys, it truly is an exceptional rifle!

That rifle is elegantly appointed without being over the top. I appreciate that in gun. FWIW, another website is selling two L61R actions only, and both well used, for $1400 each. I think that shows what a fine offer you have made here, as the wood is often the most expensive component......and the fit and finish appears excellent.......GLWS..........FWB
The L61R is a great action. I have several of them. Nice rifle and good luck with the sale!

Yes, I love them, pretty much rock solid!
Thanks,
Gary

A while back I purchased this incredible rifle from the estate of a gentleman back in Delaware who had built quite a collection. This one was built on a Sako L61R action with a 22" Shilen Select Match barrel that was originally a .270 Win. but was later rebored to 338/06. I was a bit tentative about that but my research about reboring barrels set me at ease and I bought it. As shown by the target included, my confidence was well placed... my 4th 3 shot group after zeroing printed .130" at 100 yds. The two previous loads were .526" and .614" respectively with the provided Reloder 15 loads under a 210g Barnes TTSX. When I came across this rifle I didn't need it but I've always absolutely loved this caliber and on top of that...the workmanship on this gun is fantastic. The wood, the fit and finish and the checkering all done by a very famous (now deceased) stock builder whose name I should be able to retrieve, were more than I could resist. The only reason I am letting it go is that I quickly need to find a heavier rifle for Africa and I have multiple rifles for everything that walks in North America. I am looking for a 9.3x62 Mauser for a do-all African rig. I don't plan to take another Elephant so that round will easily handle everything else that I will encounter.

I purchased Talley bases and rings for the Sako tapered rails and mounted the Swarovski scope which can go with the rifle for an additional $850.
The rifle itself will go for $2750 or best offer shipped and insured CONUS

View attachment 602500View attachment 602501View attachment 602502View attachment 602503View attachment 602504View attachment 602505View attachment 602506View attachment 602507View attachment 602508View attachment 602509
A beautiful rifle sir. I recently aquired a 338-06 myself built on a FN commercial Mauser action. Being an old student of Elmer Keith I've always been interested in his 333 OKH. The 338-06 is a natural follow on to that. I leave for Namibia in 3 weeks and I'm using that 338 loaded with Norma Oryx 230grn bullets. I do admit the 9.3X62 is mt favorite medium bore but then again I just plain love medium bore rifles.

Thank You! You're headed to my favorite place to hunt in Africa! I've hunted there twice and will be back in August it looks like. I loved my Dakota Safari 375 that I hunted everything with for years but a torn retina and doctor's advice has influenced me to mitigate the recoil and the 9.3x62 get's the nod for everything up to and including Buffalo. So as much as I loved the .375, I am told I will love the 9.3 in the right rifle. So as bad as I hate to do it I am letting this sweet rifle go to fund it.

I would love to hear your "after-action" report when you return! What all are you planning to hunt? Cull hunt or trophy?

I have a Custom 338-06 on a Remington 700 action. It is a tack driver with almost anything. I run 210gr and 250 gr. NP. A couple of Moose and Deer. But it is in line to go to Africa next year. It is an awesome cartridge. GLWS.

Thank you, this caliber is fantastic, every hunter who may encounter a wide range of heavy or dangerous animals should get acquainted with it. Such an easy rifle to build inexpensively and shoot comfortably even though it really packs a punch!

Good luck in Africa, you will be well equipped for a wide range of wonderful animals!!

Thank You! You're headed to my favorite place to hunt in Africa! I've hunted there twice and will be back in August it looks like. I loved my Dakota Safari 375 that I hunted everything with for years but a torn retina and doctor's advice has influenced me to mitigate the recoil and the 9.3x62 get's the nod for everything up to and including Buffalo. So as much as I loved the .375, I am told I will love the 9.3 in the right rifle. So as bad as I hate to do it I am letting this sweet rifle go to fund it.

I would love to hear your "after-action" report when you return! What all are you planning to hunt? Cull hunt or trophy?
Glad to hear back from you. I too have used a 375 H&H (pre-64) and as much as I love that rifle my nod goes to my left hand Mauser in 9.3X62. As for felt recoil, stock geometry has a lot to do with felt recoil. with factory 286's at 2340fps, that load has been doing the job on buffalo for a long time. If you're a handloader you can boost the same bullet up to 2450fps no problem. Now you're right on the heels of that 375. Of course now the recoil is now almost up to the same as the 375. Don't worry, the factory velocities will get the job done with proper shot placement. For softs I prefer Swift A-Frames. Second choice is the North Fork semi Spitzer. Solids, first choice is the Woodleigh Hydro (if they ever come available again) solid but to me the flat nose North Fork solid would be my second choice. I've used my 9.3 on more hunts than any other rifle I own. This will be my 6th trip to Namibia. What makes this trip special is the 2 youngsters going. One to share this hunt with his grandfather and the other one is sharing this hunt with his father as a graduation gift. For myself, if I see something really outstanding I'll take the shot. To me it's about the hunt. Harvesting the game is secondary. I'll see about an after action report when I return. Until then I hope you find the ideal 9.3 and if I can help in any way just let me know.

Oh man, what a hunt to remember for your family, what an awesome thing to do!
We're on the same page with the bullet choices. I always used Woodleigh 350's in softs and solids in my 375. It looks like that North Fork cupped point solid might rival the Woodleigh version. I am intrigued by the North Fork bullets and am planning on trying them. I guess Woodleigh is getting ready to get in the game again from what I'm hearing. If you run across anyone wanting to let go of a nice 9.3x62 feel free to send them my way, it would be much appreciated. I appreciate your comment on trying to get another 100fps out of a 286 load ...the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze on that.
And as a handloader I need to bear that in mind.

I hope you guys have the trip of a lifetime, I'm pretty sure none of you will ever forget it!

Oh man, what a hunt to remember for your family, what an awesome thing to do!
We're on the same page with the bullet choices. I always used Woodleigh 350's in softs and solids in my 375. It looks like that North Fork cupped point solid might rival the Woodleigh version. I am intrigued by the North Fork bullets and am planning on trying them. I guess Woodleigh is getting ready to get in the game again from what I'm hearing. If you run across anyone wanting to let go of a nice 9.3x62 feel free to send them my way, it would be much appreciated. I appreciate your comment on trying to get another 100fps out of a 286 load ...the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze on that.
And as a handloader I need to bear that in mind.

I hope you guys have the trip of a lifetime, I'm pretty sure none of you will ever forget it!
I'll keep a look out for you. As for the trip, LOL not my family. I set this hunt up for my friends to share with their boys. what better way for them to come of age by sharing this hunt with a grandfather and a father. I'm going along to watch them make memories. I've already taken most game available in this area but again, if I see something really good I'll take it. Besides I've hunted with this outfitter for so long they are more like family than just an outfitter. It's like going home.

OK, good for you, they will have such a great experience! No doubt with the extra attention by staff and PH because of your relationship. I have a similar scenario in Zimbabwe after nearly annual trips over the last 25 years. I am a hippo shy of my Big 5 and have doubled on everything else but Leopard plus all the plains game and tons of problem animal control with a PH friend.

As a pastor l am invited over for ministry almost annually to help an organization there with 165 churches throughout Africa and as a result have been blessed to have hunted extensively with two PH friends. They are literally like brothers to me. I could have never dreamed up such a scenario. It's so wonderful to introduce others like you are doing! I'm excited for you as you see the wonder and raw excitement they will experience as a result of your relationship there. I doubt if they can possibly imagine what awaits them!
All the best,
Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioXwh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg