Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member Sporting Shooters Association of Australia and Life Member NRA
Hunted
Indonesia and Australia
Guys, I shot a lion and the taxidermist has a full cape. I really do not have enough room at home for a full mount. What is your opinion of a full cape lion rug mount. Other option is a pedestal mount with just the head. Thanks for any thoughts.

My vote would be for a pedestal mount-something creative. So you can see the size and the intensity of the eyes. Congrats on the lion!

Congratulations on the lion, my vote would half mount jumping out of a wall if I couldn’t squeeze in a full mount. The pedestal would be my third choice and a rug my last choice but it seems a shame to relegate such an exceptional animal to rug status.

Mmm....Full Cape rug mount ...bit confused by your description.....you either have the skin for shoulder mount...or the full skin for rug.....?

Image1669677379.332834.jpg

Taxidermist has full cape and skull

View attachment 502544

Taxidermist has full cape and skull

OK sorry didn't understand your post....go for the rug with head and paws ....doesnt take up room as on floor....and if done correctly is impressive .....have one and yeah it's proper.... (y)...way better than pedestal if you can

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the input and your kind words. I am having second thoughts of relegating my lion to less than full mount. You are right it is a magnificent regal beast. Just need to negotiate with the Mrs now

Guys, I shot a lion and the taxidermist has a full cape. I really do not have enough room at home for a full mount. What is your opinion of a full cape lion rug mount. Other option is a pedestal mount with just the head. Thanks for any thoughts.
If it was me without question I would do the full rug mount versus a shoulder mount

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the input and your kind words. I am having second thoughts of relegating my lion to less than full mount. You are right it is a magnificent regal beast. Just need to negotiate with the Mrs now

From some full mounts I have seen...not great....a full on rug is impressive

From some full mounts I have seen...not great....a full on rug is impressive
Choosing the right taxidermist is absolutely essential when it comes to full mounting cats. Look at their past work and go with the best rather than the cheapest. The investment is worth avoiding a lifetime of disappointment with a subpar mount.

Thank you all. Rug it is. Good compromise with my wife as well :) I really like the input on mounting the paws.

I went with a rug on my leopard for similar reasoning. No real space for a full mount, and now is able to hang on our bedroom wall instead of being relegated to a too small corner that doesn’t do it true justice. Couple pieces of things to consider from personal experience, discuss with your taxidermist whether it will primarily be hung on a wall or placed on the floor as that can affect the backing and border as well as if it is going on the wall, the taxidermist can place some wood underneath the head that can be drilled into a stud. Obviously you’ll need a much bigger wall space than I did if you go that route! Also, if it’s going on the floor where it might be stepped on discuss what to do about the claws, the claws on my leopard are razor sharp and could seriously injure a barefoot but could also be pretty easily broken by a boot. Would want to make sure they’re displayed to full affect without worry about them being broken the first time someone doesn’t look where they’re stepping.

In my opinion, if there is any full mount to consider that has a smaller footprint, there is a mount I see every year at DSC of a lion sitting on its haunches with no pedestal or anything. It is awesome to almost be looking the lion in the eyes, and I haven’t seen any other mount that shows the true size of a male lion. And because it’s sitting on its haunches, it has a much smaller footprint than a typical mount.

POINT OF INFORMATION...PLEASE...Can you import a male lion back to the USA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobongda247cc

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]