Leopard Attack Zimbabwe

Amazing, great thing is hunter wins. Happy to see they could all laugh at the end of the encounter.

wow, he is a lucky guy. That leopard could have done more damage, and thank God no one caught a stray bullet.

Definitely, all were very lucky in the end.

Wow. I can just imagine the pain this guy's in. Broken wrist, I think he said. From the wounds I saw, he's actually probably VERY lucky. I read somewhere for every second a leopard is on you you'll likely need a 100 stitches. By those standards, he's VERY lucky. Lots of puncture marks, and one slash on the wrist that I saw. No blood gushing at any rate. He's soooo lucky that no one hit him, but instead his buddy's were on target on the cat and got it off of him. That was WAY closer than I care to ever get to a cat, thank you very much! I'll stick with my housepet cats for that close an encounter! LOL!

could not believe the action how cool was that but the poor guy who was attacked how lucky was he

Been there done that without getting bit... We were very lucky! There's a saying that for every second a leopard is on top of you it is a 1000 stitches. They are lighting fast and wait untill you are in their comfort zone before charging which is usually about 15 to 20 yards.

Good luck on all hunting leopard in the future... ;-)

As I hear it the guy that got jumped was a PH in training...and decided on a new career after this incident.

From what I can tell the guy that got jumped was not carrying a guy. To me, trailing a wounded Leopord....Shutgun / 00 Buckshot would be the way to go and everybody would have one, except maybe the hunter who would have his rifle.

You see how fast that was and the guy with the double rifle missed twice. That is dang scary stuff.

Actually, it appears he WAS carrying a gun. He had a long item in his hands when this thing jumped him, and later one of the other guys picked up a long gun that was lying on the ground.

Seems to me the person with the best chance of hitting an animal coming in like that would be the intended target. There's no lead required. Seems the best thing would be to get down into a kneeling position, in order to get the aim in direct line of sight pointing at the animal as he bears down on you. That said, easier said than done! It would take a large brass pair to do so with a pissed leopard coming in at warp speed like that!

The PH (Chap) that was injured was not in training. He is a licensed PH. He has hunted since. The guy shooting the double is Martin Pieters. It is actually a 12 gauge shotgun.

Chap was carrying a bolt gun and shot and hit it as it ran past Martin. It probably would have been worse had ne not. Note the tracker running towards Chap and the leopard with a daemo (axe) to kill it, but luckily the leopard was shot and killed.

Shaun Buffee is filming the incident along with another camera man. You see him several times in the clip holding a camera. He was the PH on my last hunt. I also hunted with Martin in 2009.

Good info Mike, thanks for sharing! I am glad he came out OK in the end. It could have been worse!

Chaps scars are quite impressive. Fun PH.

That was a tough year for Chap. He also almost got nailed by an elephant and I believe his tracker took a hit from a buffalo.

I would have hung it up.

As I hear it the guy that got jumped was a PH in training...and decided on a new career after this incident.

From what I can tell the guy that got jumped was not carrying a guy. To me, trailing a wounded Leopord....Shutgun / 00 Buckshot would be the way to go and everybody would have one, except maybe the hunter who would have his rifle.

You see how fast that was and the guy with the double rifle missed twice. That is dang scary stuff.

@ Terminator, he was indeed carrying a rifle...Marty picked it up after the action..In something like 90% of Leopard attacks where guys get 'Kitty Rash' (bitten and scratched...leaving itchy scabs!) the guys using a shotgun! 00 buck doesn't penetrate well...most people shoot for the cats face / head. When you look at the angle of the head in a charge, you'll find the brain cavity is well hidden behind lots of bone as the heads up. Problem also is that the semi auto shotguns jam with alarming regularity. but if one insists on carrying one for cat follow ups...use slugs in a slug barrell! @ Il Capo you're 100% right...getting down onto one knee is the correct thing to do as the cat only then gets bigger and bigger in the sights as it bears down on you...but it takes serious experience and courage to make yourself so 'vulnerable'!

Years ago, a PH and I had a fairly heated discussion throughout one season on the issue of shotguns and cats. Later that year his client wounded a Lion. The following morning he was out there with a 10 gauge 3 1/2" magnum loaded with LG shot. Fortunately he also had some backup with 458's. The Lion charged from about 19m away. He got off three shots between 19 and 3m. The Lion then died from multiple 458 rounds. On inspection, not one of the pellets had penetrated the skull nor the rib cage. Some had skidded around the skull under the skin, others smashed the teeth and others were stuck in the skin under the chest area. Now if those had been slugs it would have been a different thing altogether I reckon!

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of using a shotgun on cats for just this reason. And I would think slugs would be a must in any case. I also wouldn't use a semi-auto, although I'm of the understanding semi-autos aren't allowed in many African countries anyways, yes? I, for one, am for pumps. In fact, I have two pump-action rifles too. For fast and reliable actions, they can't be beat. @ Ole Bally. Thanks for the come back. I was only guessing being I have no experience in that kind of hunting. It just struck me as being logical. And regarding courage, that's what I meant by having big brass ones! It's one thing to KNOW what to do, but a whole other ball game to actually DO IT! : )

It makes one think that wearing light Carhartt clothing would be a good thing too. That way the leopard would have a hard time chewing you apart! I agree light slug loads and a pump shotgun...are very deadly medicine. I have a pump rifle and like it very much too!

What kind of pump do you have enysse? I have two Remington 760 gamemasters. One is in .30-06, another in .35 Remington.

The .30-06 is the standard 22-inch barrel model, reblued in a satin finish which I had fitted with a green/grey/brown camoflage laminate stock from Reinhardt-Fajen. It has a Monte-Carlo style buttstock. Topped it off with a Pentax 2-7X36mm scope.

The other I also had redone in a satin blue, after having it cut down to a 18 1/4-inch barrel, then fitted it with a green/grey laminate thumbhold sporter stock from Boyds, and topped off with a Millett Buck Lightening 1.5-6x44mm illuminated reticle scope. That's my hog/east coast black bear gun. For 100 yard or less shots, it's deadly.

Well I have a Browning BPR 270 Win that shoots super accurate. I shoot 140 grain Swift A frame bullets and hit quarter inch groups at 100 yds with it any day of the week. It's a super deer gun, great for spotting and stalking.

They were selling those Browings ridiculously cheap...got mine for $480. Could never understand why the public hated Brownings clever invention?

My favorite pump gun is my Remington 870 Wingmaster...it feels like a extension of my own body....put some slugs or sabot and I'd follow up on a leopard or lion...point and shoot!

Nice. I'd like to add a Browning BPR to my line up, but I already have a load of guns. My wife would KILL me. With my latest addition -- the .30-06 barreled action, which I must have a stock made for -- I have 15 hunting rifles ranging from .222 Remington to .35 Whelen. : ) Some people would call it an "arsenal." For us gun "nuts," it's just a collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg