Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF, DU, SCI
Hunted
Botswana
My kudu bull shoulder mount is at the taxidermist waiting for the cape to come back from the tannery. I'm doing a wall mount. In the meantime, I'd like to make a pedestal base as an option but don't have any dimensions. Can you guys give me some idea as to sizes for octagon and rectangular bases? Maybe a pic also? Thanks in advance for the help -- I appreciate it as always!!

If you are doing a wall pedestal mount but considering converting it to a pedestal AFTER it's mounted, then you'll have to have a fence post, tree, limb, or something extending above the actual base to attach the mount on. All things considered, I'd HIGHLY recommend you not try to do anything until you have possession of the mount so you can account for the depth of the mount etc as each form will be different. Are you getting one of those super large, semi-sneak McKenzie forms ? The smaller, offset shoulder? etc. Way too many variables to set off and build something blind IMHO.

Take it for what it's worth, but I do these things as a side business.

I put a wall pedestal mount of a blesbok on a table top pedestal base. I ordered a termite mound from McKenzies and instead of having the metal rod come up into the mount I drilled holes into the 1” square tubing and just put a bolt through the tube and used the installed wall hanger and it worked out great. I would think it could be scaled up to a kudu.

If you are doing a wall pedestal mount but considering converting it to a pedestal AFTER it's mounted, then you'll have to have a fence post, tree, limb, or something extending above the actual base to attach the mount on. All things considered, I'd HIGHLY recommend you not try to do anything until you have possession of the mount so you can account for the depth of the mount etc as each form will be different. Are you getting one of those super large, semi-sneak McKenzie forms ? The smaller, offset shoulder? etc. Way too many variables to set off and build something blind IMHO.

Take it for what it's worth, but I do these things as a side business.
I haven't gotten to talk with the taxidermist yet, but we'll finalize when the cape is back and go from there. The wall mount area is in a stairwell going downstairs to the gun room and will be a straight on mount. I saw a pedestal mount for a whitetail wall mount. There was a length of metal round stock coming up through the base several inches. The guy attached a length of pvc pipe screwed on back of the mount which slipped over the metal pipe and the pvc could be removed when mounted on the wall. The bottom of the buck just lightly touched the base.

I haven't gotten to talk with the taxidermist yet, but we'll finalize when the cape is back and go from there. The wall mount area is in a stairwell going downstairs to the gun room and will be a straight on mount. I saw a pedestal mount for a whitetail wall mount. There was a length of metal round stock coming up through the base several inches. The guy attached a length of pvc pipe screwed on back of the mount which slipped over the metal pipe and the pvc could be removed when mounted on the wall. The bottom of the buck just lightly touched the base.
I was thinking a square pedestal 15"x 15" or 18" x 18" would be adequate.

Although the head may end up looking straight, there are no "straight" wall pedestal forms as at least one shoulder needs to be vastly exaggerated in the mount to make that form "work". The weight of a kudu mount vs WT mount is 20x different. Not to mention the weight distribution of each. I have given you my best advice. Good luck Rich, and show us the finished product.

I also have this pedestal for sale that might suit your needs.

Here are the dimensions on my roan and sable pedestals
roan, 33” tall, 25” from point to point and 23” from flat to flat
sable, 36” tall, 27.5” from point to point and 25.5” from flat to flat.
The roan pedestal was done in South Africa and the sable pedestal was done in Michigan.

E7EBC128-CC9D-47DC-822B-2D8936997FC2.jpeg
B648F69A-2FBE-438D-B8D2-1F9F7352B77B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the head may end up looking straight, there are no "straight" wall pedestal forms as at least one shoulder needs to be vastly exaggerated in the mount to make that form "work". The weight of a kudu mount vs WT mount is 20x different. Not to mention the weight distribution of each. I have given you my best advice. Good luck Rich, and show us the finished product.

I also have this pedestal for sale that might suit your needs.

Thanks for all the good info. This pic is of the stairs down to the cave. The kudu will mount where the pic is now. Space is only about 36" wide and I did not measure the width when the kudu was taken, so limited on what can be done there.

I had the same concerns when my buffalo arrived, getting him through a standard size door.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here is a slightly altered McKenzie wall pedestal. With the approximate width of total mount and how far it extends into the room

I may have misinterpreted what you were saying about the width. I have full sneak wall pedestal mount of a kudu and could measure out how far from the wall he is if needed.

I may have misinterpreted what you were saying about the width. I have full sneak wall pedestal mount of a kudu and could measure out how far from the wall he is if needed.
I may not have been clear, but the width I'm thinking is side to side.

I measured both width, 49”s and depth 44”s on mine. Both are approximate bc it’s not easy getting exact with the bulky size of it.

There are other styles of wall pedestals that wouldnt take up this much space.

I'll have to talk with the taxidermist when he gets the cape from the tannery to make sure we're on the same page. The last time I had shoulder mounts done was 1995 for a non-typical mule buck and antelope. Since then it's been racks only, Euro mounts, and freezer fillers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosHeis

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.