Kenya: Number Of Kenyans Facing Starvation Rises By 1.4m

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Situation getting worse

The number of Kenyans in need of relief food has risen to 2.7 million from 1.3 million last year, a government agency has said.

The National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) said most of those affected by the crisis were the elderly, the sick, mothers and children under the age of five.

"The current drought phase classification indicates that the trend is worsening in most counties," states the agency in its report for January 16-27.

The numbers represent about 20 per cent of the population in pastoral areas and 18 per cent in marginal agricultural areas.

"The situation continues to deteriorate rapidly, particularly in nine arid counties namely: Turkana, Marsabit, Samburu, Tana River, Isiolo, Mandera, Garissa, Wajir and Baringo," states the report by the Kenya Food Security Steering Group -- a multisectoral and multiagency body that brings together relevant government sectors, UN agencies and non-governmental organisations under the leadership of the NDMA.

The assessment report has also identified drought affected pockets of counties that are neither arid nor semi-arid lands (Asal) such as Elgeyo-Marakwet, Bomet, Kisumu, Busia, Kakamega, Homa Bay and parts of central Kenya.

"In areas around Lake Victoria, parts of western and central region, significantly below normal rainfall affected crop performance, resulting in decline of yields.

"For instance, maize yields dropped by 50 per cent, beans by 40-50 per cent and sorghum by 30 per cent compared to 2015," it adds.

READ: Drought puts western Kenya at risk, like arid landsREAD: County declares drought an emergency

In Kisumu, Busia, Kakamega, and Homa Bay counties, the poor performance of the long rains caused crop failure except for crops planted early, where only 40 per cent of the expected yield was realised.

CROP FAILURE

In other lowland areas, 50-70 per cent reduction in yields was reported.

"It is estimated that population in need of relief assistance in the non-Asal pockets is about 300,000," says the agency.

In most counties, especially Kilifi, Lamu and Tharaka-Nithi, maize is a near total failure, while the production of beans, green grams and cowpeas is expected to be below normal.

The next major harvest from these regions is not expected until the end of February 2018, says the report, implying that most households will depend on markets throughout 2017.

Maize prices are, therefore, expected to increase through 2017.

"Livestock prices are falling in tandem with decline in body condition. For instance, goat prices in December were as much as 25 per cent below their five year averages and 2015 prices.

"Demand is low, while in some places, such as parts of North Horr, livestock markets are not operational. Prices are expected to continue falling as the condition of livestock deteriorates," says the agency.

LIVESTOCK IN DANGER

According to the report, the drought has left both pastoral and marginal agricultural areas across the country experiencing drier than usual conditions.

"Forage conditions are drier than usual because of the poor performance of the 2016 short rains, the extended dry period between the 2016 long and short rains, and hotter than normal land surface temperatures," says the agency.

Turkana (North, Kibish) and Mandera have borne the biggest brunt of depleted pasture, while southern parts of Mandera register depleted vegetation.

Already, livestock deaths have been reported in Marsabit, Garissa, Kilifi and Turkana counties, with more expected as the drought worsens.

"Drought stress is causing unusual patterns of livestock migration. I

"In some arid counties, around 70 per cent of livestock has migrated, including into neighbouring countries, which is not normal for this time of year.

"There is a high concentration of livestock in northern parts of Isiolo. As forage declines in dry season grazing areas such as Tana Delta, livestock are moving towards Meru National Park, Tsavo East National Park and Lamu," shows the report.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201702050188.html

Oh they will hold out there hand at the United Nations and ask for more help. No need to spend the anti money, read millions of $$$$, on feeding the people or drilling wells, or putting up schools.
Wonder how long before they blame the drought on the United States. No wait it's the hunters fault it should be blamed on all of them.

@CAustin , Charlie you 100% correct, I wonder how many wells the anti's have drilled for the local.

Not a damn one from the antis. Someday I will tell you about the Billions of of US Grant money my brother n law has spent for the US Government
In Africa on clean water projects. Maybe on a leopard hunt if I am lucky!

But yet they are heralded as the poster child for successesfull non hunting reform. What about the millions they collect from economy tourism? Are they tour companies not helping the people they employ or the the animals they protect? This brings up a question I have and will start to research. You don't hear about poaching there have they solved that problem OR do they cover it to keep up the appearance of their superior animal welfare stance. OK sorry the last rant I'll have.

ScottG your point about cover up may be well taken.

Tuesday I was watching Al Jazeeras news as they had a program on Kenya. the nomadic tribes have moved their cattle into the conservation areas. They interviewed the tribesmen, he replied they have killed every lion in the area, now they don't have to worry about lions killing their cattle. They were killing elephant at the water holes to stop competition for water and any other wildlife they could kill. The govt too scared to do anything.

These are the issues the soccer mom's never hear about.

That many people hungry and a drought to boot. The end of wildlife in Kenya.

Sadness is the first feeling this report brings, then the reality of the situation takes hold. This reality will take over Africa I am afraid. Unless the current political climate continues in Democratic societies, Africa will suffer to the point of extinction as in the case of the Rhino.
The people of Kenya have to suffer to the point of revolt before reality will hit the government there.

DSC, SCI, NRA should all highlight the wildlife genocide that is occurring Kenya, and other African countries. The slaughter of herbivores, and classic predators should make the US airwaves. How can Lions be slaughtered, and no one hear about it?? When a dentist kills one, and the planet screams!! How can Elephants be culled, and no one know except hunters?
This should be released to ALL the anti-hunting agencies in a barrage of information. We can, and should do this regularly, and our representative clubs should be first.

If we must watch Africa die from a distance, can not we cry loudly enough for all to hear?

they need to stop producing so many children to put it bluntly!

Tuesday I was watching Al Jazeeras news as they had a program on Kenya. the nomadic tribes have moved their cattle into the conservation areas. They interviewed the tribesmen, he replied they have killed every lion in the area, now they don't have to worry about lions killing their cattle. They were killing elephant at the water holes to stop competition for water and any other wildlife they could kill. The govt too scared to do anything.

simon been happening for a long time ........

That many people hungry and a drought to boot. The end of wildlife in Kenya

for sure.......kenya population 28.94 million (1997) and 31.29 million (2000) and 44.35 million (2013) and

48 029 529
Current population..............

I have often wondered how many more people the land can support. There are so many programs that help African countries with everything from AIDs drugs to food and misquote netting that the population is exploding.
To your point Mike I am unaware of any birth control programs to help ease the strain on the already scarce resources.
My brother n law has been to the same village three times in ten years to help with clean water projects. Every time he goes back the wells and pumps installed earlier have been vandalized and destroyed, parts stolen and sold. So his group pays to rebuild using United States Grant money over and over. They bring in food for the people and officials have to be bribed for any of it to get to those who need it. But he keeps going and trying. The interesting thing is that even with drought and poor availability of food the population continues to grow.
Maybe he should try handing out rubbers and birth control pills.

I have often wondered how many more people the land can support. There are so many programs that help African countries with everything from AIDs drugs to food and misquote netting that the population is exploding.
To your point Mike I am unaware of any birth control programs to help ease the strain on the already scarce resources.
My brother n law has been to the same village three times in ten years to help with clean water projects. Every time he goes back the wells and pumps installed earlier have been vandalized and destroyed, parts stolen and sold. So his group pays to rebuild using United States Grant money over and over. They bring in food for the people and officials have to be bribed for any of it to get to those who need it. But he keeps going and trying. The interesting thing is that even with drought and poor availability of food the population continues to grow.

charlie you sound somewhat surprised........but maybe as you havent been north of the limpopo you really dont have too much idea of what things are like in those countries.......but to the people who live/spend plenty time there all thats standard to different degrees .....we love being in these countries and things can be very frustrating amongst other things, but you have a sense of humour failure and reboot your head :E Big Grin: .... but most from the first world have no idea of how things are or how they work......

Last edited:
To quote @BRICKBURN , 1st world solutions for 3rd world problems. No problem to keep trying, just don't be surprised at the results.

Sadness is the first feeling this report brings, then the reality of the situation takes hold. This reality will take over Africa I am afraid. Unless the current political climate continues in Democratic societies, Africa will suffer to the point of extinction as in the case of the Rhino.
The people of Kenya have to suffer to the point of revolt before reality will hit the government there.

DSC, SCI, NRA should all highlight the wildlife genocide that is occurring Kenya, and other African countries. The slaughter of herbivores, and classic predators should make the US airwaves. How can Lions be slaughtered, and no one hear about it?? When a dentist kills one, and the planet screams!! How can Elephants be culled, and no one know except hunters?
This should be released to ALL the anti-hunting agencies in a barrage of information. We can, and should do this regularly, and our representative clubs should be first.

If we must watch Africa die from a distance, can not we cry loudly enough for all to hear?

Because most of the Cecil and extreme animal rights crowd love to protest and create a scene in the streets. They also seem to have a suficit of time and a deficit of $$. This tactic is effective in getting charges or an investigation against one man or severely limited the importation of lions into the US. But it wouldn't have much an effect on this scenario in Kenya. Plus it would be racist and colonial from their perspective to criticize black Africans in Africa about how they hunt use their land.

I think Africa's situation will only improve if the following changes:

1) Huge birth rate overpopulation exacerbates the other 2 problems. If it decreases it will provide relief for resources etc...

2) Inefficient, weak, and corrupt governments. They need to tackle corruption and also get stronger and more efficient governments. A weak, corrupt and inept government, that is in many ways a failed or quasi failed state, will more or less insure crappy conditions in that country.

3) Poor economy resulting in food and other shortages etc... If the economy improves famines and food shortages will greatly decrease. Case and point- I don't think any of the first world or extremely developed countries have had famines or widespread starvation in many decades now...

Interesting what you mentioned about the water pump being vandalized. I know of a kind of similar story dealing with a building close to where I live which is public housing- most of the people who live there are on welfare and they only pay like 250 a month in rent whereas the rent in a building and location like that if it were at market value would easily be 1000-1200. Its a fairly new building and when it was built it was quite decent inside- I mean its not a luxurious building or anything but average- it had nice wall paper, carpet, lobby etc... Fast forward a few years and it often looks like a dump there's constantly ripped wall paper hanging off the walls, the carpet has stains and is really in abysmal shape, the pool was actually closed due to sanitation reasons etc..., there are problems with bed bugs etc... Now government or taxpayer $$$ go towards repairing these common elements and they are constantly vandalized and/or soiled again. Its bizarre do these people get enjoyment from destroying their own house or place of living? I mean I see no financial or other benefit for them to do this but since repairs are free I guess sure why not destroy it ?? I really don't get this mindset.

Edit sorry for the double post...

Malthus had some idea about "positive checks" ...

When you mentioned this guy I remembered him from a third year economics class. Abundance of food leads to over growth of a population. So as the UN and other do gooders keep sending food people reproduce at a higher and faster rate thus placing themselves back into a position of scarcity. Except in the case of some African nations there hand is always out asking for more and they never truly go back to catastrophe !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double