It’s disappointing the decision made in Australia

Obi Wan Kenobi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Saskatchewan, Argentina
The government there is going to trap and kill 1,200 saltwater crocodiles per year the next 10 years. No “trophy hunting”. Instead of issuing permits to hunters worldwide they are going to hire local people to kill them.

I’m not knocking Australia l don’t live there never been. But this decision doesn’t make sense to me. If they issued at least 6,000 permits over the next 10 years it would create more jobs and bring more to the local economy while still hiring the native people as guides. I’m sure they could use a cut from trophy fees. Hunters are villains but the Australian government plans to get 90k eggs grow the crocs kill them then use skin to sell hand bags https://au.news.yahoo.com/plan-to-k...ses-to-rule-out-trophy-hunting-015749337.html

Last edited:
I’m not sure issuing 1200 trophy permits a year would be feasible because I’d think many would be taken closer to civilization not as appealing to trophy hunters and not trophy size, but it’s really too bad they can’t issue a small number each year. I’d think the money would be very welcome in Arnhemland. I’ve never seen an area with so many 13-14 ft crocs as when I hunted buffalo in Australia. That outfitter sold “crocodile harvesting experiences” while he was in business. The client could assist in trapping crocs until they got one he would like to keep, then outfitter (landowner) would dispatch it. They harvested some massive crocs.

Crocodiles are in too greater numbers in the NT. At least the Territory Government is proactive - a few years ago they approved Crocodile trophy hunting, only to have the plan overturned by the Federal government of the day. Such as wasted opportunity, especially for the Indigenous population.

Firstly, this is a thought bubble from the NT Government. They make Californians look sane and rational.
I suspect the proposal is still a work in progress. Some of the commentators are coming out with the line that this isn't trophy shooting like in Africa "we don't do safari". At the same time they are prosing "to bring in high-paying clients to live harvest saltwater crocodiles" .... "would allow permitted clients to take a trophy such as a skull or a skin" Apparently high paying clients harvesting animals and taking back trophies such as heads and skin is totally different to Africa safari hunting. You got to wonder what planet these idiots are from.

Basically they have no idea what they're talking about except that they need to do something about croc numbers and that the only people they'll talk to are indigenous.

There are many ways to do it with proper management AND making $. However, this is what happens when government tries to solve a problem...nonsense is the result.

I want to know where you're going to get 90k saltie eggs and who gets to die doing that? Nothing to see here...move along.

The government there is going to trap and kill 1,200 saltwater crocodiles per year the next 10 years. No “trophy hunting”. Instead of issuing permits to hunters worldwide they are going to hire local people to kill them.

I’m not knocking Australia l don’t live there never been. But this decision doesn’t make sense to me. If they issued at least 6,000 permits over the next 10 years it would create more jobs and bring more to the local economy while still hiring the native people as guides. I’m sure they could use a cut from trophy fees. Hunters are villains but the Australian government plans to get 90k eggs grow the crocs kill them then use skin to sell hand bags https://au.news.yahoo.com/plan-to-k...ses-to-rule-out-trophy-hunting-015749337.html
I have always wondered about this. But This is how the wokesters operate. Ban hunting, which brings in $$$, and pay government workers to kill the predators that must be controlled.

looks like a cluster f***!, this boy would have eaten you in a heart beat if given the chance.

DSCN0988 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It not only in Australia. We in the Netherlands have massive numbers of geese. A few years ago they banned "trophy hunting" , commercial hunting what you want to call it. Now more provinces have problems with geese. Now they have to pay people to shoot the geese instead of hunters from abroad paying to shoot them.

Same thing with Red deer numbers on what they call "Oostvaardersplassen". They had to cull 2500 deer. Instead of letting hunters do this or let them pay for it. They gave the task to 6 forest rangers. After hearing what they needed to shoot in one year , 4 of them quit their job.

I don't agree with the decision but also can't figure out where you are going to get enough hunters to shoot that amount of them.

I would love to hunt them but, how much would a outfitter charge to go do along with air fair from the US? Would a "trophy" hunt get the desired results in the same amount of time or longer? Or would the crocs become aware that they are being hunted and change their habits to where the larger ones just won't be shot?

Lots of questions.

Firstly, this is a thought bubble from the NT Government. They make Californians look sane and rational.
I suspect the proposal is still a work in progress. Some of the commentators are coming out with the line that this isn't trophy shooting like in Africa "we don't do safari". At the same time they are prosing "to bring in high-paying clients to live harvest saltwater crocodiles" .... "would allow permitted clients to take a trophy such as a skull or a skin" Apparently high paying clients harvesting animals and taking back trophies such as heads and skin is totally different to Africa safari hunting. You got to wonder what planet these idiots are from.

Basically they have no idea what they're talking about except that they need to do something about croc numbers and that the only people they'll talk to are indigenous.
Two countries ( well 3 with new zeland) that I totally dont understand about how the government works is
Australia & Canada, strange obtuse leadership townships to capitals
sorry you nucks & Aussie people I don’t want to offend ( but I have traveled the world and these three are frustrating to me)

@Green Chile 90,000 wild harvest eggs has been the limit for the last 10 years or so, with an actual take of approx 50,000 per annum. Only death I'm aware of was due to a helicopter crash, the circumstances of which are now subject to prosecution.

ps Given the current US Presidential candidates, the crazies in Congress and the various weirdo State Governors, we can sympathise with your desperate, but pathetic, need to diss on anyone/everyone else.

yes we have our share of nit wits-nincompoops-crazies in our government. the man in the white house is a shell of a man-president and needs to be in a old folks home playing bingo., and we try to get them voted out. but they are dug in like a hungry tick.

A saltwater croc/water buffalo combo is one hunt I would love to make!

Crocodile
Buffalo
Banteng
Scrub Bull
Boar

The Territory Big 5. Imagine the potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColinR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.