I want a new rifle but I don’t know what to get

I’ve been looking for my first African ‘big game’ rifle as well. I’ve looked at a wide variety of things, but think it’s going to come down to a CRF, synthetic or laminate stock bolt action. Likely a Ruger, since M70 seem harder to find in this configuration.

A dealer put me down on the notification list for the Ruger FTW Hawkeye M77. It’s the frontrunner for me at this point.

I can get a leupold, or night force for under 2k.
this is the one I am pretty set on
Yes that is what I have on my Ruger and I highly recommend it!

@BeeMaa
Mate if he is going to get a R8 plastic Barbie rifle he may as well get a Ken doll in a safari outfit to go with it.
Bob
But what is really funny is this discussion here versus the R8 crowd. It seems there are two kinds of folks on here. One is always looking for their next gun and are never satisfied with what they have. Then there is the R8 crowd who has found THE ONE!
But then there is @TOBY458 whom is always trading.

But what is really funny is this discussion here versus the R8 crowd. It seems there are two kinds of folks on here. One is always looking for their next gun and are never satisfied with what they have. Then there is the R8 crowd who has found THE ONE!

I do not see the hype on a R8, not for what they cost.

@Philip Glass
and there a 3rd group me that has found what works for them and are content with what they have even if they are a bit odd. My 3 main rifles cover all the bases of what I will ever shoot.
Bob

@Philip Glass
and there a 3rd group me that has found what works for them and are content with what they have even if they are a bit odd. My 3 main rifles cover all the bases of what I will ever shoot.
Bob

Yup Bob....also another group that just can't help wanting more.....not because we don't like what we have...just because that one looks nice or that one is interesting....but those blaser things don't come into those categories as far as I am concerned....which I think people have come to realise on here.... :E Rofl:

Yup Bob....also another group that just can't help wanting more.....not because we don't like what we have...just because that one looks nice or that one is interesting....but those blaser things don't come into those categories as far as I am concerned....which I think people have come to realise on here.... :E Rofl:
@spike.t
Don't get me wrong there's a lot of rifles I would like to have like a nice Browning M85 in 25-06 or 257 Weatherby and 35 Whelen with beautiful wood or a Winchester 71 in 348 but 8ve come to realise I can't use all of them so settled on what ti have. It was a marvellous journey to get to where I am tho.
The R8 crowd I think have regressed back to their childhood and plastic toys but hey to each their own.
Bob

@spike.t
Don't get me wrong there's a lot of rifles I would like to have like a nice Browning M85 in 25-06 or 257 Weatherby and 35 Whelen with beautiful wood or a Winchester 71 in 348 but 8ve come to realise I can't use all of them so settled on what ti have. It was a marvellous journey to get to where I am tho.
The R8 crowd I think have regressed back to their childhood and plastic toys but hey to each their own.
Bob
Bob,
Have you seen ANY Winchester Model 71 .348s available in OZ? There must be some there somewhere. Just curious.
CEH

it’s early. But I am so damn excited
I just bought my first 375. I found what I wanted.
Waiting on ffl and shipping now.
But here are a few pics. Pre64 with a Leupold scope.
It’s prettier than what normally get to hunt with. I am a stainless / synthetic guy. But y’all are a bad influence

FDEE8E99-CC66-4A53-BD67-BF2BD84E15B2.jpeg
4EA5A7B3-C43D-4188-B512-69D115BB7FD0.jpeg
67F5F27F-1923-40EF-86E3-5FFAB2F3BAE3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done!

Excellent choice 62flint. That selous is beautiful too.

My preference for laminates and synthetics is functional, not aesthetic to be sure.

it’s early. But I am so damn excited
I just bought my first 375. I found what I wanted.
Waiting on ffl and shipping now.
But here are a few pics. Pre64 with a Leupold scope.
It’s prettier than what normally get to hunt with. I am a stainless / synthetic guy. But y’all are a bad influence
If there is nothing better than asking in this field, you get help in any circumstance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.