Hunting multiple buffalo

I’ve only been on one plains game safari and had a blast. Now looking at a buffalo hunt in a wilderness area for my second hunt. Still a couple years out but already starting to look at options. My question is do any of you try and take 2 buffalo bulls on the same hunt? Reason that I ask is you’re paying a DG daily rate at 1k plus a day and most of the trophy fees seem reasonable. Plus you’re already over there. Do most outfitters have enough tags to allow this and encourage it.
You might want to look at Tanzania. I was speaking with Jabu Kirkland today at DSC and he said not only do they shoot multiple buffalo in a hunt they actively try to shoot a brace. He mentioned a couple years ago they shot 6 braces in one season.

You might want to look at Tanzania. I was speaking with Jabu Kirkland today at DSC and he said not only do they shoot multiple buffalo in a hunt they actively try to shoot a brace. He mentioned a couple years ago they shot 6 braces in one season.
A brace of buffalo! I like that, like a left and a right. I don’t think the PH would be amused though.

I'm doing a double buffalo hunt in Uganda this March. Since I am doing the 'group hunt', the all-in cost for the hunt is 19,000.00, with a 5500 fee for a 2nd buffalo. This is a 7 day hunt, it is 2x1, which I've never done, don't want to do, but that 19,000 hunt is 31,000 if I would go alone and hunt 1x1. I figure to save 12,000 I can tag along with another hunter and see 1 or 2 more buffaloes be taken! Contact Tim Herald, WTA, for more info on this hunt.

I spoke with multiple Tanzania outfits at dsc and they aren’t all the same it seems . Some will only allow 2 buffalo on a 14 day license even though you can take 2 on a 10 day. They must be trying to drive the price up with daily rates or protect quota. Some will sell you a 14 day license on a 10 day hunt allowing much more selection of plains game but at less daily rate cost. This is a hunt I am looking at now, 14 day license on a 10 day hunt. I would maybe hunt just one buffalo but hunt any plains game available would be fair game. That said the outfit I’m speaking with believes they can get 2 buffalo and multiple plains games in 10 days.

A brace of buffalo! I like that, like a left and a right. I don’t think the PH would be amused though.
The PH actually said they actively try for and encourage that. They want multiple out of the same group of bulls knocked down at once. I think he said the most was one fella shot 3 together minutes apart

Dave Langerman PH- Zimbabwe
Sent me this information on Double Buffalo in Bubye Valley earlier this year.
Double buffalo and plains game (one trophy and one non-trophy):
12 days x $1750 = $21000 in daily rates
one trophy buff 6000
one non-trophy 3950
2% government levy on daily rates = $420
2% Zimbabwe Tourism levy on trophy fees, whatever they may be at the end.
2% National Parks levy on trophy fees, whatever they may be at the end.
At that price point I don’t think you’re much cheaper than a ten day two buff hunt in Tanzania, if any cheaper.

At that price point I don’t think you’re much cheaper than a ten day two buff hunt in Tanzania, if any cheaper.
I agree, the buff prices are about right, but that daily rate seems very high.

Thanks guys for the help. Still doing my research but you’re right a second buff adds a lot to the price. Hoping to have something booked soon for 2025. Thanks

Thanks guys for the help. Still doing my research but you’re right a second buff adds a lot to the price. Hoping to have something booked soon for 2025. Thanks
I have a tuskless/buffalo hunt booked with Dalton & York for Sept 2025. 10 days + trophy fees came in at just a tad over 20K. I've not hunted with D&Y but I only hear good things!

I have a tuskless/buffalo hunt booked with Dalton & York for Sept 2025. 10 days + trophy fees came in at just a tad over 20K. I've not hunted with D&Y but I only hear good things!
Looking forward to your hunt report. I just booked my first African hunt for Namibia and find myself thinking about my first buffalo hunt…

Looking forward to your hunt report. I just booked my first African hunt for Namibia and find myself thinking about my first buffalo hunt…
Who are you hunting with in Namibia, and what are your top animals you would like to hunt for? I have only hunted Namibia one time, and that was sometime back in the 90's. You too will need to file a hunt report after your first safari!! How exciting for you!

Who are you hunting with in Namibia, and what are your top animals you would like to hunt for? I have only hunted Namibia one time, and that was sometime back in the 90's. You too will need to file a hunt report after your first safari!! How exciting for you!
I am hunting with Kowa’s Adventure Safari’s. Have booked their ‘First Namibian hunt’ with the addition of eland. So, I will be hunting for kudu, gemsbok, springbok, impala and eland.

I think I’ve gotten the bug already even before my first trip, but I’m hedging against the possibility that this hunt is my only one in Africa. Plan for tomorrow, make the most of today so to speak. Happily, my wife is interested in taking our kids for a trip to Africa in 2025 or 6 so I’ll also be doing some scouting for that. Likely won’t do much/any hunting on that trip, but excited to see and explore more of the dark continent.

I am hunting with Kowa’s Adventure Safari’s. Have booked their ‘First Namibian hunt’ with the addition of eland. So, I will be hunting for kudu, gemsbok, springbok, impala and eland.

I think I’ve gotten the bug already even before my first trip, but I’m hedging against the possibility that this hunt is my only one in Africa. Plan for tomorrow, make the most of today so to speak. Happily, my wife is interested in taking our kids for a trip to Africa in 2025 or 6 so I’ll also be doing some scouting for that. Likely won’t do much/any hunting on that trip, but excited to see and explore more of the dark continent.
That's actually a very nice hunt for your first safari! Are you taking your own gun? If so, what caliber are you taking?

That's actually a very nice hunt for your first safari! Are you taking your own gun? If so, what caliber are you taking?
I’ve got a Gunwerks Nexus in 300 PRC that will be my primary rifle. I’m planning to shoot Hornady Outfitter 190 CX monometals or Barnes 208 gr LRX.

I’m looking hard for a 375. Don’t need it for plains game, but pretty excited to get my first medium bore :)

Thanks for all of the help and responses. I booked my hunt yesterday at the Houston show. Going to hunt with Wayne at Nyamazana Safaris in Zimbabwe. Going to hunt one buffalo and an elephant bull. Hunt is going to be in September of ‘25.

Thanks for all of the help and responses. I booked my hunt yesterday at the Houston show. Going to hunt with Wayne at Nyamazana Safaris in Zimbabwe. Going to hunt one buffalo and an elephant bull. Hunt is going to be in September of ‘25.

Congrats Jon! Can't wait for a hunt report. Now to practice with the 416!!

@375Fox has pretty much nailed it. For instance, in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique only a limited number of Coutadas have buffalo. The quota is quite large, so a number of other operators purchase quota based on their number of clients for the year. I know at least two, who charge client a trophy fee that is less than the actual cost of the tag. I business plan accounts for that discount trough trophy fees outside the buffalo concession and the daily rate. Those two outfitters could arrange a second buffalo, but would almost certainly have to charge full cost for the second tag.

Other than Tanzania, the most likely place to arrange a second bull would probably be a South African game ranch operation. I suspect several outfitters here would make you an offer. I would also assume they would be looking for a ten-day to two-week commitment and again, likely a premium on the second animal.
For example ....

John Sharp

1705780320338.png

1705780273125.png

Attachments

• 1705780100802.png
    1705780100802.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 29
I hunted with Wayne this past August for Buffalo and Ele. Fantastic hunt and Wayne is an outstanding PH and now a good friend. Feel free to reach out if you if I can help in anyway

I had a 7 day non trophy (management bull) hunt booked with Dave Langerman in the BVC for 2025, last night talking to Dave I decided to change it to a 10 day hunt for X2 management bulls, deposit has been paid. I decided I just couldn't go all the way to Africa and spend all that time and money to take one bull, very happy with the option I have gone with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.