Hunting Daily Fees

316africa

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Member of
Hunted
us, ontario canada, new brunswick can
Hi folks. I am a new member here. I've looked a a lot of outfitters and what stands out is the cost of the daily fees. It seems that ll need a small fortune just for the daily fee. My ? Is why are they so high? I dream of hunting in South Africa/namibia but it just might be to expensive. Thanks for your thoughts

Check the trophy fees, high day rates sometimes mean lower trophy fees. You're best to make a list and factor in both when comparing outfitters

The daily fees cover a wide range of things and when you add them all up it is really not that bad for what you get normally. Some get more then others so it will also depend on what you are looking for in the end.
They normally cover pick up and drop off from airport, ph/tracker/skinner and other helpers, all your food and drinks, lodging , truck /gas plus other things.

you will pay more for a fancy place or 5 star over a 3 or 4 star lodge. You will need to decide if a fancy looking place is better for hunting over a more hunting camp style lodge. Food for all I have seen is good and plentiful at most places.

You will also see once you decide on the animals and days you normally do not pay the rate most post on there website. Checkout some packages and you will see overall hunting Africa for 4 or 5 animals is the same as a good elk hunt here in the states.

The daily fees cover a wide range of things and when you add them all up it is really not that bad for what you get normally. Some get more then others so it will also depend on what you are looking for in the end.
They normally cover pick up and drop off from airport, ph/tracker/skinner and other helpers, all your food and drinks, lodging , truck /gas plus other things.

you will pay more for a fancy place or 5 star over a 3 or 4 star lodge. You will need to decide if a fancy looking place is better for hunting over a more hunting camp style lodge. Food for all I have seen is good and plentiful at most places.

You will also see once you decide on the animals and days you normally do not pay the rate most post on there website. Checkout some packages and you will see overall hunting Africa for 4 or 5 animals is the same as a good elk hunt here in the states.
Thank you

Prices in South Africa, and Namibia, are very reasonable. Hunting in places like Tanzania can cost $2000-$3000 per day.

Travelers lodge or Hilton, a nice hotel costs what day fees in SA cost and all you get is a bad breakfast at a hotel. With your fees there you get three meals a day, nice accommodations, laundry done daily, and more often than not your drinks. I always request a stop at a liquor store on the way because I would never consider my consumption of scotch and castle beer in moderation. IMO, day fees on SA are a bargain. Look at a package that is all inclusive from any of our fine sponsors and you will find something that will fit your budget.
Good luck,
Cody

what does moderation mean?with me a good bottle of wine a day is moderation,then we have the beer.

I expect "in moderation" means you are not an alcoholic. I doubt they want to put out a fifth of hard liquor every day and more so than the cost of the booze is the effect of having a drunk in camp, especially around weapons.

Travelers lodge or Hilton, a nice hotel costs what day fees in SA cost and all you get is a bad breakfast at a hotel. With your fees there you get three meals a day, nice accommodations, laundry done daily, and more often than not your drinks. I always request a stop at a liquor store on the way because I would never consider my consumption of scotch and castle beer in moderation. IMO, day fees on SA are a bargain. Look at a package that is all inclusive from any of our fine sponsors and you will find something that will fit your budget.
Good luck,
Cody

Well said sir!

What are you considering high?

Looking at ads here on AH and elsewhere, I've seen day fees on the high end at over $1000, usually in one of the more exotic hunting countries and for dangerous game. When the hunting camp is more off beaten track, the day fees will be higher as its more expensive the outfitter to bring in food, power, clean water, etc.

I think on average, in countries like RSA and Namibia, day fees will range from $200-$450 for PG, more for DG. Day fees will be more in places like Mozambique , Botswana, Zimbabwe, etc. Even higher in CAR, Ethiopia, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen outfitters that don't charge any day fees (this just means that cost is rolled into the trophy fees).

When it comes to planning and budgeting for your safari, I recommend figuring out a ballpark figure you want to spend- $5000, $10000, $30000, etc. Then decide what animals you're after- is there high cost animal in there (buff, sable, a cat), with an understanding that you can probably hunt at least 1 animal per day unless you are very selective on horn length.

After you've for the basics figured out, I recommend checking out the deals on AH. Even old ones. See who's offering what you're looking for and then contact them. The outfitters on this site will jump through hoops and bend over backwards to meet expectations, budget, etc.

Best of luck.

All my comrades hit.... but the long and short, that is to cover the nut. They are burning gas, food, laundry, Staff, etc....

Sir, all the above are correct, the larger the group size the less the dayfee. Everything is negotiable.

There so many more factors that need to be added....

Here's just a simple example........my life insurance is 4 times higher than the average person because I hunt dangerous game.

I find daily fees very reasonable, I have paid much more for a hotel night in many European cities.

Some outfits have high daily fees and low trophy fees or vise versa. The only thing that matters is the bottom line total cost for the hunt. Don't get caught up in adding up of the trophy and day fees off the outfitters website, that will be the high end retail cost. Ask for a package deal quote, that will be a better deal.

look at the "Deals and Offers" forum.
On here you can find some very good deals that are "all-inclusive".
These deals generally cover all expenses except tips from the time you're picked up until you are dropped off.

Make a list:
1. Flights. $1800- up
2. Hunt (many 4 animal packages ) $3500 - up
3. Expected tips, etc up to you
4. Overnight in JNB, if necessary. $200 +/-
5. Emergency/Travel insurance. (note: not "trip insurance") $250 (don't remember for sure)
6. Gun registration service $200 ??
So, you can figure around $7,000 or less "all in".
I just got back from an elk/bear hunt that was a little over $7000 "all in". I got the elk, not the bear.

I've seen deals on here regularly with 2 large and 2 small animals for $3500. You can add 3 more small animals for $1200 or less easily.
So, a 7 animal safari "all in" for $8200, only a hair more than what my elk cost.

BUT......... Then the expense of taxidermy begins.
It makes me cry to think about what that costs, so someone else can estimate that for you.

I agree with all the previous posters; think of the day fees the same as you would an all-inclusive resort.

To the OP's point though, there are outfitters whose day fees are very high relative to the competition and really not more luxurious to warrant them. Some trophies are lower to offset but others remain as high as the day fee. You may wish to inquire about a package price though.

Personally, I like the websites with various package prices stated upfront. It gives you an idea if that particular company can accommodate your budget without wasting your time and company's.

Day rates vary, but most of the time they coincide directly with the lodge and the service. While you and your buddies are happy staying in a tent camp walking all the way to the lodge for a cup of coffee and having to fetch your own beer from the cooler $. Your wife expects to stay in a 5 star lodge with a nice chalet and have her coffee delivered to the room each morning and her wine glass filled as if by magic $$$.

Africa caters to all tastes and styles, your budget does need to correlate to your taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyWilmo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double