Hunting Clubs

Michael70

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hello to everyone that is out there.

I would like to pose a question regarding hunting clubs, groups, affiliates or whatever you want to call a collection of likeminded individuals.

Living in Darwin, Northern Territory I am fortunate to have access to some very good hunting, probably better than most, and that is fantastic but I have a feeling that we are missing out on something.

I would like to form a club (for want of a better description) that is hunting focused. Not some target shooting discipline, collecting or political bent, just hunting. I acknowledge that there will be aspects of all of the above as well but hunting should be the main focus at all times. Increased hunting opportunities for all, should be the mission statement and everything that is conducted by the group should be to achieve this ultimate goal.

I envision a social group that can meet, share a drink, meal, whatever and discuss their current and future hunting plans and maybe topics that directly relate to hunting. This can be game, land access, gear, licensing whatever but hunting should underwrite everything being considered.

I have been a member, (including being on the executive) of several nationally recognised hunting/shooting organisations and they have all at some level been subverted by the political and target shooting factions. I understand that hunting does not pay the bills and target competitions help with cash flow but if we lose hunters what do we have left and is it worth fighting for?

These are my current musings and if you live in or near Darwin, would like to visit or just want to be part of something that aligns with your interests let me know and we may have a place to start.

If there is no interest then I suppose the status quo remains and I will keep on keeping on; although I believe that collectively we can create something of value.

Please let me know, thank you.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. Keeping politics off the agenda will be difficult.

Thank you for your support.

Land and access is very political in the Northern Territory but collective power is something that the political types respond to here, therefore the best way forward is a united group.

i want to reduce the politics to what is required to achieve our mission statement. I acknowledge that it is a necessary evil but for members who do not wish to play in this gutter we are there for them as well.

I find the target disciplines and the cash they bring to clubs an equal evil that can divide the membership and ultimately the group. It’s siren song has crashed many a club on the rocks, seen it first hand unfortunately.

Make Hunting Great Again!!

Hello to everyone that is out there.

I would like to pose a question regarding hunting clubs, groups, affiliates or whatever you want to call a collection of likeminded individuals.

Living in Darwin, Northern Territory I am fortunate to have access to some very good hunting, probably better than most, and that is fantastic but I have a feeling that we are missing out on something.

I would like to form a club (for want of a better description) that is hunting focused. Not some target shooting discipline, collecting or political bent, just hunting. I acknowledge that there will be aspects of all of the above as well but hunting should be the main focus at all times. Increased hunting opportunities for all, should be the mission statement and everything that is conducted by the group should be to achieve this ultimate goal.

I envision a social group that can meet, share a drink, meal, whatever and discuss their current and future hunting plans and maybe topics that directly relate to hunting. This can be game, land access, gear, licensing whatever but hunting should underwrite everything being considered.

I have been a member, (including being on the executive) of several nationally recognised hunting/shooting organisations and they have all at some level been subverted by the political and target shooting factions. I understand that hunting does not pay the bills and target competitions help with cash flow but if we lose hunters what do we have left and is it worth fighting for?

These are my current musings and if you live in or near Darwin, would like to visit or just want to be part of something that aligns with your interests let me know and we may have a place to start.

If there is no interest then I suppose the status quo remains and I will keep on keeping on; although I believe that collectively we can create something of value.

Please let me know, thank you.
Michael70: You have a very good idea and it often takes someone to “initiate & plan” forming any type of organization - regardless how small or informal. If you start small and with the right group of guys — keeping costs & demands on everyone’s time to a minimum - it can be very enjoyable. Growing very slowly and understanding & adhering to your “objective” is important. Everyone needs to start out on the same page — and somehow keep everyone on that “same page”. Good luck and hope it works well for you.
Having once formed a very small & informal group of friends (8 of us) into a local Waterfowling Club - we had a lot of Fun and it served to get us together and out hunting even more often then we all did previously. It was a really a “Club” in name only - something we just called ourselves to identify our common interests and acknowledge an activity we had all done together since High School. We also gathered for annual dinner-poker game-drinks-cigars etc..and quickly folded our children into the mix (Minus drinks & cigars!!). However, within 2 years petty disagreements and a divide between a couple members quickly took the “fun out” and our small group —- got even smaller. Looking back, it seems that as soon as our ”informal“ group of Hunters became a “Club” and “plans” replaced “spontaneity“ - we took what was Good and “broke it“ by trying to make it Better. In our case it was a lesson learned and sometimes I should’ve just accepted that our group was always “good enough”.

We have such a group, it is called 'Carruthers & Co', and there are about 14 of us, including my four daughters.
We arrange various hunts, some a little more grand and numerous with maybe 10 or so participating, and sometimes just four or so.
We have a logo and it features as a car door sticker for a bit of identity, but there is no constitution, no rules, no subs or anything like that. We all have pith helmets!
The sort of activities range from a 5 day hunt here in Zimbabwe, to the latest bash which involved a stag hunt in the Scottish Highlands replete with tweeds and a black tie dinner where four recipients received their golden ties for achieving a buffalo, a partridge, a 5kg tiger fish and a stag.
We take turns at organising the events which involves collecting funds, accounting for spend and a little ruling off 'report'.
All great fun, but you will always find that some put more effort in than others, human nature.
IMG_3049.jpeg

We have such a group, it is called 'Carruthers & Co', and there are about 14 of us, including my four daughters.
We arrange various hunts, some a little more grand and numerous with maybe 10 or so participating, and sometimes just four or so.
We have a logo and it features as a car door sticker for a bit of identity, but there is no constitution, no rules, no subs or anything like that. We all have pith helmets!
The sort of activities range from a 5 day hunt here in Zimbabwe, to the latest bash which involved a stag hunt in the Scottish Highlands replete with tweeds and a black tie dinner where four recipients received their golden ties for achieving a buffalo, a partridge, a 5kg tiger fish and a stag.
We take turns at organising the events which involves collecting funds, accounting for spend and a little ruling off 'report'.
All great fun, but you will always find that some put more effort in than others, human nature.
View attachment 596302
Kevin, that sounds GREAT, fun and something to share with those you care about and are “like minded”. Looks like You are “Doing it Right” !

I find the target disciplines and the cash they bring to clubs an equal evil that can divide the membership and ultimately the group. It’s siren song has crashed many a club on the rocks, seen it first hand unfortunately.
Interestingly, at my place, situation is quite the opposite, Croatia.
Cash flow is on hunting, and various shooting sports and disciplines are struggling on a budget or less then that.
Also the biggest civilian organization is national hunting federation. The biggest - bigger then for example major political parties, by number of members.

View attachment 596302
That’s a pretty legit logo

View attachment 596302

Next where do you do the hunts in Zim....one place or does it vary?

@Michael70

I’m glad to see people looking for other hunters, as an American who has hunted the backcountry blocks in the NT I must admit you certainly have better than average hunting territory in your area.

Best of luck to you, I too know what it’s like to have a good thing ruined by others seeking a particular shooting discipline.

I’ll never forget and god bless the NT

IMG_2613.jpeg

Next where do you do the hunts in Zim....one place or does it vary?
Varies: Eastern Cape, Scotland (twice), Save, Kwe Kwe, Chinhoyi, and Bromley near Harare. Affordability and time availability come into it, a trip is proposed and it suits some, not all.

@Michael70

What would be the type of the hunting club you have in mind?

Will it be informal group of friends organizing hunting activities?

Or will it be a registered formal club, with all functions and usual positions: president, secretary, board, membership fees, taking a concession of some hunting area, etc?

First option is friendly, second option is costly and will require annual funding.

Michael70: You have a very good idea and it often takes someone to “initiate & plan” forming any type of organization - regardless how small or informal. If you start small and with the right group of guys — keeping costs & demands on everyone’s time to a minimum - it can be very enjoyable. Growing very slowly and understanding & adhering to your “objective” is important. Everyone needs to start out on the same page — and somehow keep everyone on that “same page”. Good luck and hope it works well for you.
Having once formed a very small & informal group of friends (8 of us) into a local Waterfowling Club - we had a lot of Fun and it served to get us together and out hunting even more often then we all did previously. It was a really a “Club” in name only - something we just called ourselves to identify our common interests and acknowledge an activity we had all done together since High School. We also gathered for annual dinner-poker game-drinks-cigars etc..and quickly folded our children into the mix (Minus drinks & cigars!!). However, within 2 years petty disagreements and a divide between a couple members quickly took the “fun out” and our small group —- got even smaller. Looking back, it seems that as soon as our ”informal“ group of Hunters became a “Club” and “plans” replaced “spontaneity“ - we took what was Good and “broke it“ by trying to make it Better. In our case it was a lesson learned and sometimes I should’ve just accepted that our group was always “good enough”.

Hi Hank,

Your original idea of an informal group who are on the same page is my ideal. To be honest this idea it is not motivated by the need to create more hunting opportunities for myself, but I like to gather with likeminded people and talk all things hunting. Much like we all do on here but in person.

Things can quickly escalate and unfortunately greed and ego are two of the deadliest sins that create havoc wherever it surfaces. As they say good fences creates good neighbours, therefore an agreed code of conduct will be paramount so that things can either be settled or cut off at the pass before it ruins the experience for everyone.

Another benefit is that if we have visiting hunting brothers and sisters from interstate or overseas there may be members who could help them with local knowledge, some tourist guiding, a quick local hunt or even an offer to accommodate while they are here. This will create friendships and bonds that will be mutually beneficial when the hospitality is one day reciprocated, and a Darwin member can access help in a foreign land. We are a well-travelled group and the more contacts we create and the wider our network the better off we will all be.

On another note, hunters, although strong in numbers are unrepresented (like nil) in discussions for funding, access and facilities. The reason is simple in that we like to keep to ourselves and fly under the radar, but this is why we are slowly dying and the decimating our future with the death of a thousand cuts.

If I can find a group of a dozen willing members, we will have most if not all that we need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristalWi

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!