Hi Everyone! I'm Sue from Idaho..and hopelessly addicted to Africa!

I just bought your signed copy from your website. Look forward to reading it
Ahh, thanks so much for buying the book! I’m excited that you are going to read it and look forward to hearing what you think. You must be Craig. Im having a heck of a time keeping all these crazy profile names straight! Im still trying to learn the sight and figure everything out. Anyway, I’ll get your book in the mail tomorrow. We were at a little Xmas party tonight….talking a lot about Africa of course! Another couple there has also been and now we have others wanting to go!

Ahh, thanks so much for buying the book! I’m excited that you are going to read it and look forward to hearing what you think. You must be Craig. Im having a heck of a time keeping all these crazy profile names straight! Im still trying to learn the sight and figure everything out. Anyway, I’ll get your book in the mail tomorrow. We were at a little Xmas party tonight….talking a lot about Africa of course! Another couple there has also been and now we have others wanting to go!
Lol! Yes I am Craig AKA Rare Breed

Welcome to AH Sue, hope to hear some storie.
Thank you so much. I'm thrilled to be here! I'll definitely be sharing stories after I get through these crazy holidays. Happy holidays to you and yours!

PS. I did post a story in the articles section entitled "Miniature Vampires with Wings". You might enjoy it if you've ever had to deal with the bloodsuckers! LOL

Thank you so much. I'm thrilled to be here! I'll definitely be sharing stories after I get through these crazy holidays. Happy holidays to you and yours!

PS. I did post a story in the articles section entitled "Miniature Vampires with Wings". You might enjoy it if you've ever had to deal with the bloodsuckers! LOL
Here in Montana, those would be half grown mosquitos!

Sue, just read your article about being greeted by the Tsetse fly. Great, nearest I can relate is being bitten by a horse fly in the Big Hole.

Sue, just read your article about being greeted by the Tsetse fly. Great, nearest I can relate is being bitten by a horse fly in the Big Hole.
Geez…that doesn’t sounds like much fun either ! I’m glad you liked my first African Wildlife experience! Thankfully, as soon as we pulled into camp they magically disappeared. I don’t think we once has a Tsetse fly in camp. It was a little piece of paradise. I don’t think I saw any horsefly’s either!

Several years ago, I “reluctantly” accompanied my husband on a big game hunting safari in remote Tanzania. The adventure literally changed my life! Listening to the haunting cries of lions and hyenas outside our tent was terrifying. Let’s just say the single cot my husband was sleeping on got WAY more crowded. Nevertheless, I came to treasure the blood-chilling sounds. I came to call it the African symphony -- a ghostly composition of chittering, chattering, cooing, cawing, shrieking, growling, and grunting. Here is another tidbit. I’m a non-hunter…and I was NOT thrilled about my husband hunting Africa’s spectacular wildlife. The experience, however, opened my eyes to truths I had never considered; I am now a passionate advocate of well-managed hunting. Ultimately, I made a promise to our female game scout that I would try to help others like me understand. That promise evolved into Cries of the Savanna. Although I never meant to be an author, that’s the focus of my life right now. As most of you know, one trip to Africa is NEVER enough. Rick and I have since gone to Namibia and Mozambique…and hope to keep returning. Anyway, I LOVE talking about Africa…so feel free to reach out with questions…or if you need help convincing a loved one to join you on safari!
Well said, Sue! Thank you for promoting hunting! It's a worthy cause, for hunting is the life line for wildlife and habitat in Africa.
Blessings,
Johan

Well said, Sue! Thank you for promoting hunting! It's a worthy cause, for hunting is the life line for wildlife and habitat in Africa.
Blessings,
Johan
You are so welcome Johan. I understand that now …even though I didn’t when I first went to Africa. Now I am working hard to help other people understand. I fell in love with Africa and its people …and of course it’s wildlfie. Like all of you, I am so fearful of what will happen if we don’t get this important message out ….and combat the lies and misinformation of the anti-hunting crowd.

Welcome to AH! I’m sure your book will be read by many readers.

Wonderful book in every way. I'm not sure how she did it, but Sue managed to write a book about hunting in Africa that I would be equally comfortable recommending to my hunting buddies or to my mother. Remarkable.

The narrative is compelling from start to finish, and it does a great job weaving the adventure in with explanations of the culture, history, the realities of wildlife and wildlife conflict, and putting a personal spin on everything both from her own side but also the Tanzanians from the hunting camp who make up a big part of the story.

There's tons of information in here that a lot of people are going to learn from the first time - whether it's the funding provided by hunting, the huge swaths of the African Continent that are not suitable for photo safaris, the complicated kind of protection that wildlife has had due to Tsetse flies, or any number of other things.

Tidwell’s perspective as a non-hunter is also a very valuable one. However solid the arguments for the North American or African models of wildlife conservation might be, when they come from hunters it's difficult for the public in general to avoid the perception that they're all just rationalizations. Coming from her, a lot of these concepts might find a wider audience.

Her descriptions of the local people will ring true to anyone who has spent time there. I lived in East Africa for about three and a half years, and I adore Tanzanians. They're warm, community oriented, welcoming, and often downright hilarious. It's a joy to be around them, and Sue’s obvious respect and affection for the people she encounters shines out from every page.

The book also does an excellent job highlighting the more precarious state of life that exists in that part of the world, the routine dangers people face, and the deeply human side of wildlife management. Getting to know the local people as individuals forces you to see the complexities of wildlife issues through a much different lens. Short of spending serious time over there, this book conveys that perspective in one of the best ways I’ve come across.

I too just purchased your book, so look very much forward to reading! Thanks for giving me incentive to read more, part of my 2023 goals.

Wonderful book in every way. I'm not sure how she did it, but Sue managed to write a book about hunting in Africa that I would be equally comfortable recommending to my hunting buddies or to my mother. Remarkable.

The narrative is compelling from start to finish, and it does a great job weaving the adventure in with explanations of the culture, history, the realities of wildlife and wildlife conflict, and putting a personal spin on everything both from her own side but also the Tanzanians from the hunting camp who make up a big part of the story.

There's tons of information in here that a lot of people are going to learn from the first time - whether it's the funding provided by hunting, the huge swaths of the African Continent that are not suitable for photo safaris, the complicated kind of protection that wildlife has had due to Tsetse flies, or any number of other things.

Tidwell’s perspective as a non-hunter is also a very valuable one. However solid the arguments for the North American or African models of wildlife conservation might be, when they come from hunters it's difficult for the public in general to avoid the perception that they're all just rationalizations. Coming from her, a lot of these concepts might find a wider audience.

Her descriptions of the local people will ring true to anyone who has spent time there. I lived in East Africa for about three and a half years, and I adore Tanzanians. They're warm, community oriented, welcoming, and often downright hilarious. It's a joy to be around them, and Sue’s obvious respect and affection for the people she encounters shines out from every page.

The book also does an excellent job highlighting the more precarious state of life that exists in that part of the world, the routine dangers people face, and the deeply human side of wildlife management. Getting to know the local people as individuals forces you to see the complexities of wildlife issues through a much different lens. Short of spending serious time over there, this book conveys that perspective in one of the best ways I’ve come across.
Ahh Nick, thank YOU SO MUCH for this amazing review. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It is absolutely one of my favorite pieces of feedback. I love that you feel you can recommend it to your hunting buddies AND your mother. What a compliment. Also, I am thrilled that you feel I captured the essence of the Tanzanian people. That part was very important to me. I figure if I can get non-hunters to fall in love with the people of Masimba Camp like I did, they will care about them...ultimately standing up for Africa...in the RIGHT WAY! Thanks again for taking the time to offer this feedback!

I too just purchased your book, so look very much forward to reading! Thanks for giving me incentive to read more, part of my 2023 goals.
YAY Mort. I am so happy to hear that! I'd love to hear your thoughts afterwards. My goal is also to read more in 2023. The last two years I have just been too busy with the boo
Sorry I hit enter by mistake. Anyway, I have been too busy to read books the last couple years (other than for research etc. ) so my goal is to read more books this year too. Of course, they will still be all centered on Africa!

To go to Tanzania and meet Hillary Daffi is worth the price of admission!

I believe that this statement about trackers and PH’s in Africa will be one of those memorable quotes that from time to time come from books on Africa.

”They could hear an ant peeing on cotton or spy a toothpick in a bale of hay.”

Oh my gosh, this made my day…and it brought a huge smile Ricks face. His grandma Alice was famous for her sayings like that. That is where it originated. I tried to use her funny sayings as much as possible in the book. That is so cool that you think it may be one of the most memorable lines about trackers! I had hardly given that line a second thought.

So have you seen Hilary recently? I know things have changed a lot at Masimba Camp. Thanks so much for sharing this on here!

Also, I’m just curious. How did you learn about my book? Was it on here or somewhere else. And forgive me if I should know this. These crazy names you guys all have on here keep me totally confused about who is who! I need to make a legend for screen names and real names.

So have you seen Hilary recently?
In 2021, Hilary shared Mnfenke Camp with us when we were in Tanzania hunting with Nathan Askew from Bullet Safaris. We enjoyed many delightful evenings around the campfire with him. His is a great story.

How did you learn about my book?
Right here on AH. Only great men get to raise daughters but I have been polished enough over 35 years by Princess Bride so that I get to be around my granddaughter. I am always on the look out for books written by women about adventures in Africa. I am building my granddaughter a library of African hunting books. She already has, ”I Married Adventure” by Osa Johnson. Yours will be the second book to be placed in the library.

These crazy names you guys all have on here keep me totally confused about who is who!
Jfet = John Fetner

In 2021, Hilary shared Mnfenke Camp with us when we were in Tanzania hunting with Nathan Askew from Bullet Safaris. We enjoyed many delightful evenings around the campfire with him. His is a great story.

Right here on AH. Only great men get to raise daughters but I have been polished enough over 35 years by Princess Bride so that I get to be around my granddaughter. I am always on the look out for books written by women about adventures in Africa. I am building my granddaughter a library of African hunting books. She already has, ”I Married Adventure” by Osa Johnson. Yours will be the second book to be placed in the library.

Jfet = John Fetner
Hiliary is as I say "full of it"! Yes, he is a great storyteller. We really enjoyed our evenings with him as well...and her taught me a lot. Is he still PH'ing? Last time I talked with him he went back to being a PH and had taken on a partner in running his outfitting business.

And, that is so sweet that you are building a library for your granddaughter. I am honored to be the second book placed in it. I haven't read "I married Adventure." but I'm going to put it on my list.

Welcome to AH Sue. I just heard about your book at the AH Dinner in Dallas this weekend. I just downloaded and am looking forward to reading it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashawndaN

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!