Hey Guys

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
I am An avid hunter primarily in the United States and mainly Texas. I do bird and gator hunt throughout US. I am looking forward to swapping hunting experiences and learning all I can about What I don’t no and places I need to go.

I would like dive in by asking for some advice.

I have a 12’6” and two 9’ alligator hides That are hanging In my office. I killed them about 10 years ago. I wipe them down periodically but never really put any type of moisturizer/conditioner on them. I decided to finally put them to use and make make a purse for my wife and boots and a portfolio pad for me. The hides still look great and is in excellent condition overall, but have begun to crack a little in certain areas, especially the belly where the scales are larger.
2 questions.
1: Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer/conditioner to prevent additional cracking?

2: Can anyone recommend a trusted taxidermist or some other professional that can turn my hides into the products I want?

I live in The United States. Texas to be more specific. I have been researching these topics for a while and need others opinions.
I appreciate helping me out. If this is in wrong forum, please direct me.
Thank you for tour time.

Ryan
Dallas, Texas USA

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH! Yikes...a 12’6” alligator is a monster! Got any pictures bigger than your avatar? I’d enjoy a brief report and photos of a “gator” hunt!
Good luck on your questions!

Hello sir, I’d be glad to help and can definitely make the items you’d like. I make everything from pillows to purses and backpacks as well as furniture, guncases, and Hunting accessories just to name a few.
The key to any croc, gator, caman, etc leather is that when not in use storage in a cool dry place is recommended. Additionally, moisture (particularly water) is not good for the leather either. That type of leather contains calcium deposits as well which if folded can lead to cracking and creases. It’s always preferred to store these leathers in a manner which keeps them as flat as possible. Also keep out of direct sunlight.
To clean it dust it with a soft dry cloth like a microfiber towel. Then take a damp (lightly damp not overly saturated as excess water is not good) and wipe it down). Wipe again with a clean dry cloth and allow to thoroughly air dry. After being cleaned it can be treated with many different products formulated for these specific types of leathers. I like to use the two part kit that you can get via Alligator World.
http://www.alligatorworld.com/reptile_cleaner_conditioner/pv/1356/ There is a ton of products out there just make sure you use reptile specific products.

Oh I also have a friend that makes custom boots as well. I’ll post some pics of a pair he made for me.

I designed these and James made them. They are full quill ostrich lowers with Texas flag uppers and my brand on the back.

F148996B-899F-462D-BAC8-ECA9EE8187ED.jpeg
7C8E4ED3-6B58-44DA-858F-9FA0503D7BC0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI I know the boots are punchy, that’s kinda my style and I wanted them that way. Standard height, form, and look uppers are easily done. Also the toe can be suited to your liking such as a box toe like mine, roper style, pointed, etc....

Welcome to AH sir

Welcome to our place where friendships are moade over shared information and experiences

I am An avid hunter primarily in the United States and mainly Texas. I do bird and gator hunt throughout US. I am looking forward to swapping hunting experiences and learning all I can about What I don’t no and places I need to go.

I would like dive in by asking for some advice.

I have a 12’6” and two 9’ alligator hides That are hanging In my office. I killed them about 10 years ago. I wipe them down periodically but never really put any type of moisturizer/conditioner on them. I decided to finally put them to use and make make a purse for my wife and boots and a portfolio pad for me. The hides still look great and is in excellent condition overall, but have begun to crack a little in certain areas, especially the belly where the scales are larger.
2 questions.
1: Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer/conditioner to prevent additional cracking?

2: Can anyone recommend a trusted taxidermist or some other professional that can turn my hides into the products I want?

I live in The United States. Texas to be more specific. I have been researching these topics for a while and need others opinions.
I appreciate helping me out. If this is in wrong forum, please direct me.
Thank you for tour time.

Ryan
Dallas, Texas USA
Welcome to the forum Ryan. You will find a wealth of information to a wide selection of topics here

Welcome aboard!

First off welcome , secondly your not to be happy with my view, tanning for what you have has begun to break down. Once the fiber start to tear and crack you out of luck. The skin cant be stopped from breakdown the fibers of the leather has begun its deterioration. If these are tanned with the hard scales "LEFT ON" for taxidermy rug or mounting your not going to be able to produce anything at all . Garment tanning for things made such as purses and boots and accessories is totally different that taxidermy tanning. Also all accessory's like boots and purses etc are made from small gators and crocs. 3 to 5 ' reptiles any larger ones are to large scaled to be acceptable to leather producers. Alligator farms and croc farms harvest their skin from their stock at that age. I wish you luck on your search and finding someone to try this on a old skin. Personally in business for over 40 years I would not attempt it. To may variables with skins so old. The leather Holding stitches and glues would hinder any attempt at a acceptable product if you have scales ON no way to safely of acceptably removing them for the process.

Hi Ryan, welcome to AH !

I just knew the OP would have answers quickly. Based on the two widely different answers, he now has a big decision to make!
Good Luck!

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.