Help me out here guys... What kind of buffalo is this?

WildRose

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.texasquail.com
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
I keep seeing this pop up on the Bullet Safari advertisement that comes up on the right hand side of the page.

Being far from a buff expert I am stumped.

buffalo-01-2bb8aa6769.jpg

I've not see a cape buffalo with bosses like this and the horns don't seem to dip and curl downward and then up like what I expect to see in the CB.

Is this a sub species? An odd mutation? A different species altogether?

Thanks.

Attachments

• buffalo-01-2bb8aa6769.jpg
    buffalo-01-2bb8aa6769.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
African Cape Buffalo
Just a nicely merged boss.

Camera perspective is everything

dogcat5.jpg

BuffHall.JPG

Could be the angle of the photo doesn't make it look like it drops much.

Could be a nile buffalo. They don't normally have as much drop as a cape buffalo, but there are always exceptions.

Looks like a nice tight boss.

Shoot Nathan a pm. Bet he can tell you.

Thanks guys. The best thing about this place is that if you ask a reasonable question that is at all answerable you won't have to wait long for solid information.

I've seen pictures like that before. Just a big Ole buffalo. If they make buffalo steroids for boss growth, that guy was on them!

Thanks guys. The best thing about this place is that if you ask a reasonable question that is at all answerable you won't have to wait long for solid information.

That's right WildRose. The answers are here. I got all my questions answered here before my hunts. This is a great forum!

CA that is so true. I sincerely wish I'd found this forum a year or two before my first trip.
I found this forum looking for recommendations for a good DG scope. I got some good recommendations and settled on one I liked but when I got ready to order it, they were out of stock and I couldn't get one in before leaving.

I learned the hard way that it was a great recommendation and that I should have asked a month or two earlier.

Of course It came in about a week after I got back!

I emailed them and if they don't answer in this thread but email me back I'll post it.

I know that even the Cape Buff varies a little bit depending on where you are in Africa so we'll see.

One reason a lot of folks consider me a bit of a know it all is because I was taught as a child never to "wonder" about things. I was taught that if I had a question I needed to just find a good source and get the answer so if it ever came up again I'd know.
Consequently I was a voracious reader as a kid and managed to learn a few things along the long road I've traveled making it to 52 years old.

Of course my doctors are telling me now I should have avoided some of those bumps, potholes, and tight curves along the way!

Solid cape buff..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ktman

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.