Hello from the Texas Hill Country!

ColinR

AH member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m a life long hunter, hunting all kinda of game here in Texas. I manage a decent size place in Sonora, TX where we have deer, axis, black bucks, and a few other random exotics that pass through. I'm married and have a 14 year old son who is just as obsessed with hunting as I am. We are both fortunate that my wife doesn't complain much about our hunting. Last year we hunted elk in Colorado and absolutely loved it.

I'm thinking about booking an African Safari for my son and I as a graduation gift, which is still 4 years away so I have plenty of time to research and book. My wife will most likely go too as an observer.

My #1 bucket list animal is a Kudu! Then from there is a Warthog, Nyala, Blue or black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Jackel.

One of my biggest questions is on the Kudu. My understanding is there are Greater Kudu and lesser Kudu, but lots of outfitters list East Africa Kudu. Are those Greater or Lesser, or something else? I hear people say, the best place for giant Kudu is Botswana. But is that still a good place for a first time trip? Still have good numbers of the other animals were after? I guess that’s why I’m here, to start researching these questions .

Lessor Kudu only found in Tanzania. Adds 10k to your license plus about 6k trophy fee. East Africa are found in East Africa while the Southern Greater Kudu are found in the south part of the Continent. There are also Cape Kudu. If you are wanting a big Kudu, you are wanting a Southern Greater Kudu. Nyala is limited where found naturally, other than a Game Farm. Most outfitters will not charge for a Jackel unless you specifically ask for one. They are like our coyotes, shoot on sight.

s-welcome.gif

Lessor Kudu only found in Tanzania. Adds 10k to your license plus about 6k trophy fee. East Africa are found in East Africa while the Southern Greater Kudu are found in the south part of the Continent. There are also Cape Kudu. If you are wanting a big Kudu, you are wanting a Southern Greater Kudu. Nyala is limited where found naturally, other than a Game Farm. Most outfitters will not charge for a Jackel unless you specifically ask for one. They are like our coyotes, shoot on sight.
Thanks for the clarification. And yes I ment to say east Cape Kudu not East African.

Welcome sir-I have always wanted to visit the hill country of Texas. Africa is a magical place, more variety than you can imagine and all fascinating. Enjoy the research for your first safari, it’s a big part of the excitement. Don’t get hung up on a few inches of horn-all the kudu are exciting and wary, a thrill to hunt wherever they occur. I like your wish list, you’re going to love hunting them all!

Welcome sir-I have always wanted to visit the hill country of Texas. Africa is a magical place, more variety than you can imagine and all fascinating. Enjoy the research for your first safari, it’s a big part of the excitement
Thank you. We love it here. We do lots of our exotic hunting spot and stalk very similar to what I see on video how they hunt Africa. Sure we hunt our whitetail over feeders from a box bling but there nothing like glassing a big axis from the top of a ridge and then planning a stalk to get in range and shooting him off sticks.

Welcome, based on your wish list I would recommend looking at outfitters in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, they would have all of the species you mentioned. Limpopo would be another option. Several good outfitters on here as sponsors. A few to start looking at would be KMG, Game 4 Africa, Crusader Safaris, Limcroma Safaris. I think any of the sponsors on here would give you a great hunt

Hello everyone. I’m a life long hunter, hunting all kinda of game here in Texas. I manage a decent size place in Sonora, TX where we have deer, axis, black bucks, and a few other random exotics that pass through. I'm married and have a 14 year old son who is just as obsessed with hunting as I am. We are both fortunate that my wife doesn't complain much about our hunting. Last year we hunted elk in Colorado and absolutely loved it.

I'm thinking about booking an African Safari for my son and I as a graduation gift, which is still 4 years away so I have plenty of time to research and book. My wife will most likely go too as an observer.

My #1 bucket list animal is a Kudu! Then from there is a Warthog, Nyala, Blue or black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Jackel.

One of my biggest questions is on the Kudu. My understanding is there are Greater Kudu and lesser Kudu, but lots of outfitters list East Africa Kudu. Are those Greater or Lesser, or something else? I hear people say, the best place for giant Kudu is Botswana. But is that still a good place for a first time trip? Still have good numbers of the other animals were after? I guess that’s why I’m here, to start researching these questions .
Based on my experience, your very best value will be five animals including a nice Kudu at Fronteer Safaris for about $4500. The next best would be Game 4 Africa. Same 5 animals for about $5300. I have hunted all over Africa. These two are in SA and for a first time Safari are the very best value and memory makers

:S Welcome:

Based on my experience, your very best value will be five animals including a nice Kudu at Fronteer Safaris for about $4500. The next best would be Game 4 Africa. Same 5 animals for about $5300. I have hunted all over Africa. These two are in SA and for a first time Safari are the very best value and memory makers

Thank you. I will look into them.
How far out do outfitters typically book? I’m assuming 4 years is way too long, and 1 to 2 is more typical.

Welcome to AH from a fellow west Texan! There is a wealth of information here so you’re starting in the right place. The answers to some of your questions will depend on what kind of experience you’re looking for and what you’re budget dictates. Have fun in the process of planning your hunt. Feel free to PM myself and many others here for advice or suggestions.

Greetings ColinR,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Several forum members here live in the Texas Hill Country, including but not limited to my brother from another mother, Red Leg.
When he gives advice, it is always worth following.
Well ok, except for straight pull rifles.
(Sorry Joe, I never pass up the opportunity for a cheap shot).:ROFLMAO:
Seriously, Red Leg has more African and generally world wide hunting experience than I do, in multiples.

Meanwhile ColinR, when you have a spare minute, have a look into the Khomas Safaris website.
We are located up in the Khomas Hochland Highlands, central Namibia.
And we offer some of the best kudu hunting anywhere.

We also offer bird hunting (duck, goose, guinea fowl, Francolin (grouse), dove and surf casting for multiple species, including shark, over on the Skeleton Coast.

We have several Mauser and other rifles, (.22 LR through .458 Lott) plus over / under shotguns to rent (12 gauge).

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.png
    IMG_1741.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5458.png
    IMG_5458.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4556.png
    IMG_4556.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5164.png
    IMG_5164.png
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5168.png
    IMG_5168.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5479.jpeg
    IMG_5479.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6320.png
    IMG_6320.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6329.png
    IMG_6329.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6766.png
    IMG_6766.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6779.png
    IMG_6779.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6818.png
    IMG_6818.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7357.png
    IMG_7357.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7858.png
    IMG_7858.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8080.png
    IMG_8080.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8292.jpeg
    IMG_8292.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8429.png
    IMG_8429.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8348.png
    IMG_8348.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9164.png
    IMG_9164.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9229.png
    IMG_9229.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9329.png
    IMG_9329.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9380.png
    IMG_9380.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0031.png
    IMG_0031.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0825.png
    IMG_0825.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1140.png
    IMG_1140.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1643.png
    IMG_1643.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 29
Welcome from Central Texas. Hopefully your place in Sonora wasn’t impacted by the anthrax that’s hit certain areas down there.

As for your question lesser kudu are only in certain areas and don’t come with an inexpensive price tag once you factor in the added license cost and significantly more expensive daily rates. You might have the budget for this and if you do 100% first choice and dream trip for most on here, myself included.

This leaves Greater Kudu and Cape Kudu. Cape Kudu are hunted in the Cape provinces of Africa. A great outfitter there is Crusader Safaris who hunts some VERY large free range areas. Cape can be very impressive, though they traditionally aren’t as big as the Greaters you’ll find in other parts of South Africa like the Limpopo, and Kalahari areas. You can also hunt them in Zim, Mozambique, Zambia, Namibia, and Botswana.

Much of South Africa is high fence game farms that will be very similar to hunting in South Texas. I’ve found the more budget friendly options give off more of a “game farm” vibe and miss some of the Africa Experience. I’m not knocking them or anyone who enjoys this just saying this but pointing it out because hunting in some of them won’t look or feel much different then hunting on some Texas Ranches. After several safaris I’ve decided I prefer larger operations, free range concessions, and the other Southern African countries.

If it were me, I’d look at Botswana with Tholo Safaris or NKWE Safaris or I’d look at Namibia. Both those options only need a year or two of booking/planning. If I had 4 years to plan/save I’d start looking at Zimbabwe, Zambia, or Mozambique and consider a Cape Buffalo or Hippo/Croc for myself and Plains Game for the son. IMO this will offer a little more of the “African Experience”. Tent Camps are more common, you’re likely to see other Big 5 animals, you can add Tiger Fish Fishing, Vic Falls, etc. You’ll hunt a little harder for your trophies, but you’ll get a little more of Wild Africa.

Welcome from Central Texas. Hopefully your place in Sonora wasn’t impacted by the anthrax that’s hit certain areas down there.

As for your question lesser kudu are only in certain areas and don’t come with an inexpensive price tag once you factor in the added license cost and significantly more expensive daily rates. You might have the budget for this and if you do 100% first choice and dream trip for most on here, myself included.

This leaves Greater Kudu and Cape Kudu. Cape Kudu are hunted in the Cape provinces of Africa. A great outfitter there is Crusader Safaris who hunts some VERY large free range areas. Cape can be very impressive, though they traditionally aren’t as big as the Greaters you’ll find in other parts of South Africa like the Limpopo, and Kalahari areas. You can also hunt them in Zim, Mozambique, Zambia, Namibia, and Botswana.

Much of South Africa is high fence game farms that will be very similar to hunting in South Texas. I’ve found the more budget friendly options give off more of a “game farm” vibe and miss some of the Africa Experience. I’m not knocking them or anyone who enjoys this just saying this but pointing it out because hunting in some of them won’t look or feel much different then hunting on some Texas Ranches. After several safaris I’ve decided I prefer larger operations, free range concessions, and the other Southern African countries.

If it were me, I’d look at Botswana with Tholo Safaris or NKWE Safaris or I’d look at Namibia. Both those options only need a year or two of booking/planning. If I had 4 years to plan/save I’d start looking at Zimbabwe, Zambia, or Mozambique and consider a Cape Buffalo or Hippo/Croc for myself and Plains Game for the son. IMO this will offer a little more of the “African Experience”. Tent Camps are more common, you’re likely to see other Big 5 animals, you can add Tiger Fish Fishing, Vic Falls, etc. You’ll hunt a little harder for your trophies, but you’ll get a little more of Wild Africa.
Thanks for the clarification, and tips. It’s the Greater Kudu I’m after. For once the one I’m after is the cheaper option! lol

oh and yea, no my place is not in the anthrax area Thank God! I know several folks that are in that area and they get wiped out about every 10 years or so it seems.

Welcome fellow Texan! Run a search for Jaco Visser and NKWE Safaris in Botswana. Jaco has over 180,000 acres (low fenced) near Ghanzi where he runs plains game hunts. All reports are to expect to see 15-20 mature bulls a day in the mid 50's. My son and I will be there first 2 weeks of June. Matthew Egan is Jaco's Liaison here in the US. Attached is a giant killed 2 days ago.

NKWE 63 Inch Kudu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings ColinR,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Several forum members here live in the Texas Hill Country, including but not limited to my brother from another mother, Red Leg.
When he gives advice, it is always worth following.
Well ok, except for straight pull rifles.
(Sorry Joe, I never pass up the opportunity for a cheap shot).:ROFLMAO:
Seriously, Red Leg has more African and generally world wide hunting experience than I do, in multiples.

Meanwhile ColinR, when you have a spare minute, have a look into the Khomas Safaris website.
We are located up in the Khomas Hochland Highlands, central Namibia.
And we offer some of the best kudu hunting anywhere.

We also offer bird hunting (duck, goose, guinea fowl, Francolin (grouse), dove and surf casting for multiple species, including shark, over on the Skeleton Coast.

We have several Mauser and other rifles, (.22 LR through .458 Lott) plus over / under shotguns to rent (12 gauge).

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
PS:
I have no idea who the below pictured person is with the huge kudu.
Neither do I have any idea whatsoever how or why it became attached to my original welcome to the forum post a little while ago.
The only answer I can come up with is that computers dislike me personally and they consistently torment me, every chance they get.:unsure:

Attachments

• IMG_1842.png
    IMG_1842.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Kudu; as I understand it the Cape Kudu is the same genotype as Southern Greater Kudu, there were big discussions on here years ago about that. The difference is really only environmental and so the "cape" kudu are smaller bodied and tend to have more vibrant coloring. I mean they are all basically grey, but the cape can be darker with sharper contrast between dark and light coloring.

The East Cape is a great place with great variety and scenery. It has coastal areas on the warm Indian Ocean and you can hunt within view of the ocean or in the jungle like low areas. And it has the Karroo which is dry and mountainous with some huge properties. And it has everything in between. I highly recommend Crusader Safaris. If you choose to hunt the EC, I'd highly recommend black wildebeest and red hartebeest. If you hunt Limpopo, remove the black wildebeest and replace with blue. If you get to the karoo or Namibia, definitely take Gemsbok and Springbok. If Namibia add Mountain Zebra and I would very highly recommend booking ahead for a Dik Dik.... many first timers pass on theTiny Ten critters but later in life are kicking themselves because they have to travel to a country just for the one special species.

Nyala, I have not taken one because every time I see one in a fence it is standing there like a cow. They have never been truly spectacular trophy quality either. And I have seen some truly incredible individuals in the wild but have not gotten a shot opportunity. If you want to see what is possible, get yourself ti Crooks Corner in Kruger National Park;)

If you can swing it from a financial and time perspective, adding a week or two of touring can be a great time in Africa.

My next dream trip is to Northern Tanzania to hunt the special iconic species there (including lessor kudu and fringe eared Oryx) and to tour all the parks up there, see part of The Great Migration while it still exists, and possibly take my wife back to Zanzibar:)

A lower cost (but still expensive) hunting option in Tanzania would be the Rungwa or Selous areas (hunt close to a million acres with no human residents).

Lots and lots of other great options. You can do a hunt from $5000 to $50,000 on upwards of $150,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlynSch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?