Hello from the Texas Hill Country!

Welcome from a fellow Texan

Hello everyone. I’m a life long hunter, hunting all kinda of game here in Texas. I manage a decent size place in Sonora, TX where we have deer, axis, black bucks, and a few other random exotics that pass through. I'm married and have a 14 year old son who is just as obsessed with hunting as I am. We are both fortunate that my wife doesn't complain much about our hunting. Last year we hunted elk in Colorado and absolutely loved it.

I'm thinking about booking an African Safari for my son and I as a graduation gift, which is still 4 years away so I have plenty of time to research and book. My wife will most likely go too as an observer.

My #1 bucket list animal is a Kudu! Then from there is a Warthog, Nyala, Blue or black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Jackel.

One of my biggest questions is on the Kudu. My understanding is there are Greater Kudu and lesser Kudu, but lots of outfitters list East Africa Kudu. Are those Greater or Lesser, or something else? I hear people say, the best place for giant Kudu is Botswana. But is that still a good place for a first time trip? Still have good numbers of the other animals were after? I guess that’s why I’m here, to start researching these questions .
Welcome to the group!

Super exciting that you’re looking to plan this trip and do it as a graduation gift, I’d say that could be one of the best gifts ever. It would make a good family trip and something that your entire family would enjoy lots of stuff for the wife to experience and do.

Some outfitters offer some great actives for non-hunters to do such as visiting parks, horseback rides, cooking classes, and even going to town to shop. If they don’t want to spend everyday hunting. Heck even just hanging by the pool in camp is fun if they have one or doing separate game drives.

Breaking down the kudu:

There are two species of Kudu in Africa. The Greater and the lesser as you have mentioned.

The lesser kudu is only hunted in Tanzania and Ethiopia. Typically, not the first-time safari destination as it comes with a price but man they are some of the best hunting destinations in the world. Can attest to that having personally hunted both of them multiple times.

Your Greater kudu range from South Africa all the way up through East and West Africa

Subspecies are:

Eastern Cape great Kudu (South Africa, truly from the Eastern cape but are said to be into the Northern Cape and surrounding areas. Personally, I think they are just poorer quality Southern Greater in these areas)

Southern greater Kudu (hunted in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique)

East African Greater Kudu (hunted in Tanzania)

Abyssinian Great Kudu (hunted only in Ethiopia)

Western Greater Kudu (currently only hunted in Chad)

For a family trip and the species, you have listed that your wanting "Warthog, Nyala, Blue or black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Jackel". I’d look at going to Limpopo or the KwaZulu Natal province. These two provinces will produce the list you’re looking for and have some incredible quality of Kudu as well as good quality Nyala.

Bots does take some good kudu but you’re not going to find Nyala there. Zimbabwe has great Kudu and Nyala but very few Gemsbok (haven’t seen one hunted there since the 90’s)

For your list your after I would focus on SA as they have a much more abundance game list and can suit your needs for a great family graduation trip.

Good luck in planning this trip out nothing more exciting than planning that first safari.

Cheers,

Welcome and look forward to your participation!

Lessor Kudu only found in Tanzania. Adds 10k to your license plus about 6k trophy fee. East Africa are found in East Africa while the Southern Greater Kudu are found in the south part of the Continent. There are also Cape Kudu. If you are wanting a big Kudu, you are wanting a Southern Greater Kudu. Nyala is limited where found naturally, other than a Game Farm. Most outfitters will not charge for a Jackel unless you specifically ask for one. They are like our coyotes, shoot on sight.
But once you pay the extra on the license, that covers all the higher end species including lion (doubtful they have available, but worth asking), leopard which if available is well worth pursuing in that area as they have some big ones, buffalo which late in the year is supposedly a physical hunt but good chances at a big one (the full licenseactuallyincludes 4 buffalo but the outfittermay not allow for that as he has only so many on quota). As well as gerenuk, fringe earned oryx, the gazelles. All of which you should take the opportunity to hunt if going on that license to the North (Maasai Land) in Tanzania. Other than the dangerous game, all the Northern Tanzania species can usually be taken in about 8 days even though it is a 21 day license.... That also leaves opportunity to travel to another part of Tanzania to hunt out the rest of your license.... However we are now talking $100k plus for the trip. And honestly the license is not the expensive part of that hunt. Unless you buy it for only one or a couple species.

My next big bucket list trip is back to Zanzibar for some beach time with my wife and then hunt Maasai Land for all those iconic species and also spend a week or so touring the Parks up there:) Of course @Just Gina is probably going to want to shoot most of those iconic critters as well so we will have to see how that goes...

Hola hermono
I am in sisterdale and hunt near Eldorado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LimbNoMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.